Cracks in the corner

S

scoobydoo

Well you know when you think something will never happen to you and it does?

I believe the zipper ,from the 'official' case, had been pressing against the front corners of my Pandora every time I closed it.

As many of you know, these cases take quite some working in to get a proper fit. My Pandora always fit rather tightly in the official case.

At times it would not fit and I had to stretch the case out repeatedly to get it in. Though it was advised to buy a generic case, I shunned the advice and now I am paying for it.

Apparently the zipper was making way too much contact on the right corner of the Pandora and hence the crack appeared from the inside of the lid throughout the outer side of that corner. So I used a adhesive bonding agent to seal the crack. Then I noticed the crack had traveled upward. I then sealed that portion and now the creeping crack appears to have ceased for now. However being the aesthetic type ,when it come to my gizmos, the repair looks like a poor make up job :eek: . I hope the crack does not travel further.

There have been no drastic temperature changes here. I had a feeling when I would close the Pandora that perhaps all the friction might cause a crack especially when the zipper passed over those corners. Stupid me I suppose :mellow: .

The unit is still under warranty and I was wondering if Ed would have it in his heart to replace the case? If not I understand your situation for this was bought at the UK shop. I will pay if necessary.

I do not want to undertake this myself. Not to appear unmanly but I am scared to take this apart. :eek:

Perhaps this should have been in the support section? Will the moderator do so if deemed necessary?

Regretfully,

Scooby.

Last edited:
If it's of any help, I don't believe this would have been caused by the zippers. My Pandora has a crack in the same spot, if I'm understanding your description right, and I never even bought the official case, nor have I ever kept it in a case as close-fitting as that.

As for taking it apart, you said in another thread "Ditto" that you'd repaired your Pandora previously, in response to a post from someone who had replaced their LCD cable. This being so, I don't think re-casing it is any different to taking it apart and putting it back together after that operation - so long as you can get a replacement case, you should already have the experience necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's of any help, I don't believe this would have been caused by the zippers. My Pandora has a crack in the same spot, if I'm understanding your description right, and I never even bought the official case, nor have I ever kept it in a case as close-fitting as that.

As for taking it apart, you said in another thread "Ditto" that you'd repaired your Pandora previously, in response to a post from someone who had replaced their LCD cable. This being so, I don't think re-casing it is any different to taking it apart and putting it back together after that operation - so long as you can get a replacement case, you should already have the experience necessary.
Yes well absent minded me. Turns out I had a spare case already and just reassembled with shaking hands!!! :D

Looks like it was mean't to be now.I have thrown out those cases!!!!

Prometheus you gave me the' balls' to do it ;)

You are so helpful without even trying to be!!! Actually this was quite a cinch. The hardest part was finding the proper tool. :blink:

Certain things unnerve me when it comes to tinkering and I am not quite certain why but sometimes it take a verbal 'kick in the arse' to motivate :lol:

Now I will purchase a generic soft case to carry this.

Cheers.

Last edited:
why purchace a soft case, they dont add that much protection at all i dont fully understand the point in them, they might prevent scratches but they aint going to a great deal if you drop it or drop something onto it. Buy a hard case you cant go wrong with one of those bad boys, and they aint anymore expensive.

I have a couple of pics of my cases here

the bottom case is an aluminium case for a origional ds and fits the pandora so damn perfectly its almost like it was designed for the panda and not at ds

why purchace a soft case, they dont add that much protection at all i dont fully understand the point in them, they might prevent scratches but they aint going to a great deal if you drop it or drop something onto it. Buy a hard case you cant go wrong with one of those bad boys, and they aint anymore expensive.

I have a couple of pics of my cases here http://boards.openpa...h__1#entry99208

the bottom case is an aluminium case for a origional ds and fits the pandora so damn perfectly its almost like it was designed for the panda and not at ds
Your right.

I am going to buy one of those Aluminum cases with that foam padding .

Thanks for the tip!!

Cheers.

i got mine for £7 off ebay, nice cheep place to look if you dont mind waiting a week or so for one. i believe there ore other tough cases out there recomended by members but i think the aluminium or steel finished cases that are out there for the origional ds just seem to look nicer on the eye than a the black plastic protective cases that are out there.

Also congrats on your succesful case transplant glad it all went ok and youre babys good as new again

Back