That took a while...

That may be true, but at the same time ptitseb's porting efforts have squeezed every last drop out of my 1GHz Pandora even overclocked a smidgeon. A more efficient core running a few hundred megahertz faster will provide a higher target to hit, but I wouldn't bet against it being met by linuxswat's glshim being used by ptitseb's ports, or exophase's latest emulators, or notaz's new binary recompilations. And those things will take time to get fettled into shape, and won't be available to test immediately.

Does anyone know if the OMAP5 SoC throttles automatically on over-temperature? Or will we need some kernel module tracking the CPUs thermostat and tweaking the max clock automatically?

I wonder...

If a person built in a holder & valve for a small CO2 or NOX canister and a tiny solenoid valve to supply a tiny bit of rapidly evaporating liquid directly onto the SoC whenever it hit a predetermined temp, it would serve two functions of spot cooling the SoC and pushing old hot air out of the case... we could over clock the heck out of this with enough liquified gasses.

I wonder...

If a person built in a holder & valve for a small CO2 or NOX canister and a tiny solenoid valve to supply a tiny bit of rapidly evaporating liquid directly onto the SoC whenever it hit a predetermined temp, it would serve two functions of spot cooling the SoC and pushing old hot air out of the case... we could over clock the heck out of this with enough liquified gasses.

Like one of these? http://www.barware.com.au/p/soda-bulbs-co2-sparklets/SPHC02 *ponders if one of those would fit into the space normally occupied by the stylus holder*

-Neelix

I'd vote for the last one matte black (safe option), but the blue seems nice too.

The hole in the back of the lid is the interface where the external chimney pot is attached to a flue that snakes through the hinge from the main body of the case to vent heat, smoke, and flames.

Oh wait... that was in a nightmare about Pyras and dragons.
A chimney seems like a bad idea, we want to avoid letting any of the magic smoke escape. ;)

-Neelix

Unless you're planning to run the recent PC games through Exagear and WINE (which for all I know you might be), I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure ED will test all sorts of things like that as well once we have a complete up to date prototype.

AFAIK WINE will never run on the pyra ! if you want some M$ Shidows, you'll have to go qemu or dosbox. Or maybe some VM ?

I remember there’s been people talking about using wine with the qemu user mode, which enables x86/64 emulation without the overhead of a virtual machine.

Does anyone know if the OMAP5 SoC throttles automatically on over-temperature? Or will we need some kernel module tracking the CPUs thermostat and tweaking the max clock automatically?
The latter. Linux has a generic thermal framework, (which works as you said,) and most Android gizmos use that for throttling, so I would assume TI has tapped that for OMAPs as well. We may want to tweak the parameters for the Pyra, though. I figure it's not a good use of time to do that before having the final cases.

What the OMAP5 does provide is an interrupt when the temperature reaches critical, and the kernel has it hooked up to some shutdown command. It's been confirmed working. :)

Beep. Oh, wow! A stovepipe would look awesome with the logo lamps imitating fire light! Maybe add a USB-powered model of a piston-cranked wheel, with cranky old steam engine sound effects.
Most monitors have pretty awful colour rendering though. The only real solution would be to send colour samples around the forum in the same way as the keymats.

@Winter Holly
There is a dedicated pronoun for first-person singular in English, you know...
Maybe there's a market for a standardised, low-cost reference doodad consisting of non-backlit colour display, so you can fiddle with the values until the colour looks right, then share those values with any one who wants to see what the colour looks like.

We're aware of first-person singular, thank you. Our "mind's I" seems to be turning into a "mind's we," but WE DO NOT ask that others use plural pronouns for us; she/her/hers is preferred. Boop.

Like one of these? http://www.barware.com.au/p/soda-bulbs-co2-sparklets/SPHC02 *ponders if one of those would fit into the space normally occupied by the stylus holder*

-Neelix

Exactly. Not practical in any sense of the word, but the liquid to gas phase change should result in a massive decrease in spot temperature.

Now, taking that one step further into ultra-cooling impracticality...
If the liquified gas cylinder were filled with liquified propane, butane or isobutylene and the outflow gasses routed through a fuel cell, it could cool the SoC and generate electricity. Liquified hydrogen would work the most efficiently, but the pressures required would be outside of what hobbiests are likely to want to deal with.

I recall someone did some experimentation way back when with an MTI fuel celled powered Tapwave Zodiac. I can find a few text references to it, but unfortunately no pictures that I can find appear to have survived of the unit.

30455-78981bf8469a57a3497f1e8e5ed45064.jpg

This reminds me a bit of my old Nokia 6110, it was Metalic green-ish, depending from which angle you look at it and there was a blue version too... I liked those colors!

Nokia_6110_Green.jpg
199803.jpg

I still prefer a color like this though.. Too bad it's not included in the prototype colors ;)

a76_c640c02.jpg

Most of these cases are OK, maybe except this "piano black" collecting fingerprints. This first one, blue, is definitely not in my taste, but shiny-gray one and dark-green one look very good.
And about beige, it's a good compromise between bright plastic and visibility of dust on casing. I've seen old computers coated with dark-blue coating (like this green Pyra, but more blue, even darker than this Nokia).

And about wear marks on beige - it depends on the behavior of plastic. If it's poor quality and delaminates, any wear marks will make enough small pores to collect enough dirt to be visible through delaminated layers. If the plastic is good quality there will be no problem.

Back