That took a while...

Hmm, I wonder if the case parts could be milled out of solid blocks of wood... interesting....
There's also 3D printing parts with a wood and plastic mixture. I work with a similar thing on a daily basis :p. Just a different process. So if the 3D printed things are the same strength as our lineal extruded items it could be nice.

My personal experience with these type of devices is that if you neglect one for too long the battery deteriorates to the point of no return. Li-ion wants love and seeks attention, so need to make sure you use both from time to time.

this makes me so sad
happened to my zaurus
nothing is forever

Luckily, your GPD win shouldn't explode just because you got a Pyra. And handily, you can get help for both platforms with one login here.
I've already been having issues of random blue screens and freezes in sleep mode.
But I guess I can play steam games so yay?
My personal experience with these type of devices is that if you neglect one for too long the battery deteriorates to the point of no return. Li-ion wants love and seeks attention, so need to make sure you use both from time to time.
That's happened to my 3DS and galaxy S4 many times, although those have removable batteries...
I've been told to put Li-ion devices half charged by several people if I'm gonna store them, but I'm too lazy for that

vol.jpg

wow, that's an awesome reveal shot for when we finally realize who's behind the camera filming ED making the pyra...

If you manage to polish the coating off with years of handling, the worn patch will be glossy. If, instead, you take a belt sander to it, the worn patch will be matte.

I own HP-48SX calculators from a lot of years ago and some of them had intensive use: no polish in the coating. I think HP48 case texture and plastic material are impressive.

By the way I would love a Pyra with texture and color like an HP-48SX: a beautiful DARK BROWN (in 48G models they turned to ugly and strange blueish-green color).
48sx3qm.jpg

Also dark brown (dark chocolate) color in original Commodore 64 keyboard is awsome for me:
c64_key_yellowing.jpg

Theses pictures can't show those beautiful dark brown colors (at least they can't do it in my monitor :D ).

Of course, I suspect we can end with a BLACK color, even DARK GREY, but no with a DARK BROWN color.

Last edited:
Quick teaser, I made some quick pictures of the cases with a proper camera.

The blue looks awesome! It doesn't look like the smartphone picture at all :)

These are all the coated cases. I will do resistance testings tonight and will also assemble a unit to physically test everything.

The uncoated have lots of visible marks still, but most of them should disappear when the molds have been hardened. As long as I haven't confirmed the physical dimensions to be correct (which I can hopefully do so tonight), they can't harden them :)

Silver1.jpg Silver2.jpg Black1.jpg Black2.jpg Blue1.jpg Blue2.jpg

Great news, but what's happen to the Backside?? The big holes on the sides??
Or are there for the Shoulderbuttons..
Blue looks indeed pretty cool, this was the color i wanted for my Pandora..
but it's pretty clear that I take a clear Pyra/.

Great news, but what's happen to the Backside?? The big holes on the sides??
Nothing, It's where the Metal plate with the Pyra logo were the RGB status LEDs will shine through.

Back