SuperZaxxon v1.52 released!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Another few updates for our current firmware version, thanks a lot for notaz for some great patches here and his updater-script :)

Here is what has been changed since the last version:

• UPDATE: Kernel updated to 3.2.30
  • NEW: added a few more USB tv tuner drivers
  • NEW: added support for DSS gamma control
  • UPDATE: Simple Gamma Control added in LCD-Settings dialogue (making use of the new DSSGamma control)
  • UPDATE: merged in ARM hugetlb patches
  • UPDATE: some improvements in touchscreen driver and nub mbutton mode
  • NEW: Added small utility in the System-Menu to format SD Cards and / or create the default directories on it
  • NEW: ntpdate included in OS
  • UPDATE: Date and Time settings dialogue has an added option to sync time over internet
  • UPDATE: Changed feed lists so opkg upgrade doesn't break the system
  • NEW: OS Firmware Update utility: You can now update the OS directly on the Pandora with an internet connection.
  • NEW: New mode for touchscreen-right-click: Either click-and-hold (as before) or use ALT as modifier key. Can be switched in LCD-Settings dialogue.

Thanks to the alternate touchscreen mode (ALT + click = right-click), drag and drop as well as selecting multiple files in XFCE does now work properly.

If you still prefer the old mode, you can still switch back to it in the LCD-Settings.

With the new OS-Update utility, you can always update your OS to the latest version. Script changes and additions we are working on will be upgraded immediately after release.

Please note that some of these changes might not be thoroughly tested in this case - consider these updates as unstable.

If you don't like bleeding edge updates, it's better to wait until we announce the next firmware version.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

There are now two different ways to upgrade to the latest version:

A full flash and an updater.

Upgrade instructions using the Updater:

You need to have at least the first SuperZaxxon Final version running on your Pandora (no beta).

Just grab the Update-Tool from the repo, run it and restart your Pandora.

It is safe to remove the update-tool afterwards.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.52

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.

Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"

It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry

I have the Super Zaxxon 1.5 one Version bevore the Gamma Settings Came, do i need a Full Flash or can i just use the updater??

Nice thing is the that new updates ditnt need a fullflah

Very nice! Especially having an update tool is great. I hope it also works for SD installs. Will try now.

Edit: doesn't seem to work for SD installs, since the update script looks in /boot, which is fine on NAND installs, but on SD installs (at least the ones created by the "SD install" utility), there is no /boot, and your kernel is on some special boot partition instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
@EvilDragon: its the Firmware, you put on my Unit in Juli when it was on your place to change the Case in Platin, and fix the Wifi, so i think it isnt Beta :)

My internet is realy slow, i need about 10 Minutes for 100 mb, and i have problems whit Youtube.., so its great i ditnt need a full flash everymore..

@EvilDragon: its the Firmware, you put on my Unit in Juli when it was on your place to change the Case in Platin, and fix the Wifi, so i think it isnt Beta :)

Well, it says "Beta" on bootup if it's beta. That's the easiest way to find out ;)

Thanks, does this fix the issue with the right NUB not working correctly?

Edit: I have just tested and no, sadly it does not :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we also add more support for the USB devices? Like mouses or USB audio speakers ? Can we put some kind of drivers that other linuxes have for this?

• NEW: OS Firmware Update utility: You can now update the OS directly on the Pandora with an internet con
Will this reflash the unit (ie, will you lose all you configuration like with an SD card flash?)

Also, did you put my USB Mass Storage plugin for the Config button in?

Can we also add more support for the USB devices? Like mouses or USB audio speakers ? Can we put some kind of drivers that other linuxes have for this?

Those are already in since the first Pandora release years ago :)

• NEW: OS Firmware Update utility: You can now update the OS directly on the Pandora with an internet con
Will this reflash the unit (ie, will you lose all you configuration like with an SD card flash?)

No, it's a normal Linux package-manager upgrade :)

No, I didn't know this exists (no one told me).

But no big deal, I can include it, would then be there when you do the next OS upgrade using the new tool ;)

Well, it says "Beta" on bootup if it's beta. That's the easiest way to find out ;)

You can also type "uname -a" in a terminal to check your kernel version. If it's 3.2.21 you're running SZ1.5, if it's 3.2.26 you're running SZ1.51.

No, it's a normal Linux package-manager upgrade :)
Excellent.

No, I didn't know this exists (no one told me).

But no big deal, I can include it, would then be there when you do the next OS upgrade using the new tool ;)

It updates the op_storage script too, if you want to give it a quick once over, though it's basically allowing parameters from the command line.

You don't have to include it, just thought it might be handy :)

The problem with mice an keyboards and stuff (don't know about USB speakers/soundcards) usually is that they are USB 1.1, whilst the USB chip in the pandora is strictly USB 2.0 only. This cannot be solved by software (that is, more drivers). To be able to use USB 1.1 gear, get a USB 2.0 compliant hub and connect that inbetween the pandora and the mouse/keyboard/whatever.

Back