SuperZaxxon v1.61 released!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
SuperZaxxon v1.61 has just been released!

A bit has changed, here are the updates from v1.61:

• UPDATE: configbutton: plugin settings added (slaeshjag), icon size reduced (ekianjo)
  • UPDATE: kernel: updated to 3.2.57
  • UPDATE: kernel: idle power saving improved 10-20% (only when system is idle and screen is off, this condition is normally when lid is closed)
  • UPDATE: c64_tools: updated to 18Jan2014: improves DSP power saving and solves NAND corruption problems on CC/rebirth
  • NEW: kernel: wl1251: added support for monitor mode and packet injection (backported David Gnedt's patches that have been recently applied to mainline)
  • FIX: kernel: wl1251: fixed ad-hoc functionality
  • FIX: kernel: applied a patch that fixes USB instability on some units
  • FIX: kernel: backported some other OMAP fixes from later kernels that probably won't have visible effects
  • FIX: pnd_run: fixed restore of fb0 to not result in black screen in some cases
  • FIX: Switch OS can now be cancelled (doesn't drop to login screen anymore)
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.5x or newer):

Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS"-Version.
Please note:
User-Modified configs will not not be overwritten with the new version (i.e. the new TV Out config file)

Be sure to backup any important data you might have in your NAND for the above reasons.
It is recommended to do a full flash in case you are encountering any issues.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.61
Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.61 without internal Wifi drivers

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.
Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"
It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry.

Please let us know any issues you encounter.

• UPDATE: configbutton: plugin settings added (slaeshjag), icon size reduced (ekianjo)
Can we please change the icon back again?

With the large icons it was very easy to turn things on or off with the finger, almost without even looking. Now you have to look closely and be careful to really select what you want, or you have to get the stylus out. The fact that the menu moved to the right makes it worse.

What was the reason for doing this?

Hmm, but it's true, we created the huge icon size back the so you CAN use your finger.. I'm also doing that myself, and it's a bit more uncomfortable now (though still works properly)

As the new configbutton suports settings now:

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the row distance of the entries so that every user can make it more fingerfriendly again if he likes?

So it's inconsistency vs. usability here... :/

Seriously, does inconsistency matter at all?

That's exactly about what one of my Psychology teachers complains about.

Everything is designed to look somewhat nice but not for Functionality.

I can think of a quick and dirty way of doing it; you could have both icon sizes available, then symlink the filename that each plugin uses back to the icons of the selected size...

- Neelix

That's exactly about what one of my Psychology teachers complains about.

Everything is designed to look somewhat nice but not for Functionality.
Perhaps not, but this is one of those areas where the best size is a matter of user preference, so if it can be made user configurable so much the better. I always felt the icons and spacing in the configbutton app were too large myself, and I prefer the new size.

- Neelix

Matters to me, at least, I have always thought these big-ass icons looked completely out of place vs the xfce menu and the whole OS itself. I understand that some people use their fingers for that, but I personally use nubs or the stylus and that does not bother me at all and they remain completely functional. 

I agree that making it configurable would probably be the best solution for everyone - just like the rest of the OS can be configured as well.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The resizing can be done in software, so for next update, you probably want to revert the icon size or it will look crap with big icons.

Back