SuperZaxxon v1.52 released!

Yeah, with some quite old one that I know is compiling the kernel correctly (there are some versions of gcc that produce a crashing kernel).

Ok I'm not understanding the CPU stuff.. Every now and then, maybe after a reboot. My CPU resorts to 600. And my selection goes from 600 to 800. My OPP is set to 5 and now my max allowed MHz is now 800 :(
Just go to Settings->CPU-settings and choose "set maximum allowed MHz", then "set default maximum MHz" to change those.

1. Looking through the history of git://git.openpandora.org/openpandora.oe.git there is a recipe called omap3-pandora-kernel_2.6.27-pandora.bb that was bumped whenever changes were committed to the 2.6.27 kernel. Does a similar recipe exist for the 3.2 kernel? I am unable to find this and it is unclear to me how the 3.2 kernel is added to the firmware images.
No there is no 3.2 recipe because OE doesn't support building multiple kernels into single image, or we just don't know how to do it. The kernel+modules are manually built from pandora-3.2 branch and copied on top of final rootfs. It's pretty bad but I don't have any better solution.

2. I don't see the changes for SZ 1.52 with regards to the kernel- were they maybe not pushed? Or should I be looking in a different place than git://git.openpandora.org/pandora-kernel.git
Pushed out now, I simply forgot it (again).

I knew that! I already set it... weird that it reverted after a reboot :(

About the kernel, again:

The huge TLB patches are included in the 3.2 tree ?

And just to be sure:

Apart the sgx driver, there's no module to compile separately ?

Just did the update on system installed on SD.

The last lies of the terminal showed some "collected errors". I didn't read on, but wanted to close the dialog in front, that requests rebooting. Closed it with "No" (for "reboot later"), but the terminal was also closed by that.

Suggestion for the next updater: Leave the terminal open and let the user "press a key", before it closes. So the user has the chance to read the results.

Question: Does the updater write a log file, where I can read the errors?

Thanks

How did you get it to work? Mine gave me an error message at the beginning

quartercast, did you ask me? So do you mean updating an SD root fs?

no error message at the beginning here, but at the end in the terminal there were errors.

I tried to replicate them by re-applying the same update, but surprise: After rebooting no PNDs could be opened anymore, so also the updater PND was useless. :)

Also, touchscreen didn't work anymore, as well as several other things.

Seemed to be a driver module problem.

So I restored a backup of the complete rootfs partition and then reapplied the update, this time leaving the terminal open by not clicking "yes" or "no" on the dialog "Reboot required...".

Then I could copy the output (only part of them: not enough buffer lines; but seems to be quire complete, as it begins with the kernel update message.) There ARE problems with kernel modules.

Maybe this helps:

Code:
updating kernel from 3.2.21 to 3.2.30 ...

updating modules ...

installing packages...

Upgrading angstrom-feed-configs on root from 1.0-r9.5 to 1.0-r11.5...

Upgrading base-files on root from 3.0.14-r92.5 to 3.0.14-r93.5...

Not deleting modified conffile /etc/hostname.

Upgrading bc on root from 1.06-r0.5 to 1.06-r2.5...

Not downgrading package findutils on root from 4.5.9-r4.0.6 to 4.5.9-r3.0.5.

Installing glibc-gconv-cp1250 (2.9-r35.3.5) to root...

Upgrading libgles-omap3 on root from 4.00.00.01-r5.5 to 4.00.00.01-r6.5...

Upgrading libgtkstylus on root from 0.3-r6.5 to 0.3-r7.5...

Upgrading libsdl-1.2-0 on root from 1.2.14.1-r4.5 to 1.2.14.1-r6.5...

Installing netbase (4.21-r43.5) to root...

Installing ntpdate (4.2.6p3-r1.5) to root...

ntpdate: unsatisfied recommendation for iana-etc

Installing pandora-configtray (1.0-r8.5) to root...

Installing pandora-first-run-wizard (1.0-r46.5) to root...

Upgrading pandora-misc on root from 1.0-r12.5 to 1.0-r14.5...

Upgrading pandora-scripts on root from 1.0-r109.5 to 1.0-r122.5...

Upgrading pandora-skel on root from 1.0-r18.5 to 1.0-r20.5...

Upgrading pandora-state on root from 1.0-r13.5 to 1.0-r16.5...

Upgrading pandora-sudoers on root from 1.0-r17.5 to 1.0-r19.5...

Installing pandora-usbhost (1.0-r1.5) to root...

Installing pandora-xfce-defaults (1.0-r22.5) to root...

Upgrading psplash-omap3pandora on root from 0.0+svnr422-r25.44.5 to 0.0+svnr422-r25.46.5...

Upgrading psplash-support on root from 0.0+svnr422-r25.44.5 to 0.0+svnr422-r25.46.5...

System startup links for /etc/init.d/oprun-init already exist.

Restarting OpenPandora Startup Script Deamon: opruninitOpenPandora Startup Script Deamon: opruninit not running.

OP_STARTUP: /etc/pandora/first-boot exists, not first boot.

System startup links for /etc/init.d/pvr-init already exist.

Stopping PVR

ERROR: Module bufferclass_ti does not exist in /proc/modules

Starting PVR

insmod: can't read '/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/gpu/pvr/pvrsrvkm.ko': No such file or directory

insmod: can't read '/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/gpu/pvr/omaplfb.ko': No such file or directory

insmod: can't read '/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/gpu/pvr/bufferclass_ti.ko': No such file or directory

pvrsrvkm failed to load

System startup links for /etc/init.d/pandora-state already exist.

System startup links for /etc/init.d/networking already exist.

System startup links for /etc/init.d/psplash already exist.

update-alternatives: Linking //usr/bin/psplash to /usr/bin/psplash.psplash-omap3pandora

update-alternatives: Linking //usr/bin/dc to dc.bc

adding crontab

Configuring pandora-first-run-wizard.

Configuring libgles-omap3.

Configuring libsdl-1.2-0.

Configuring pandora-skel.

Configuring base-files.

Configuring pandora-state.

Configuring netbase.

Configuring libgtkstylus.

Configuring psplash-support.

Configuring psplash-omap3pandora.

Configuring pandora-usbhost.

Configuring pandora-configtray.

Configuring bc.

Configuring pandora-sudoers.

Configuring pandora-scripts.

Configuring pandora-xfce-defaults.

Configuring pandora-misc.

Configuring glibc-gconv-cp1250.

Configuring ntpdate.

Collected errors:

* opkg_install_pkg: Package angstrom-feed-configs md5sum mismatch. Either the opkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'opkg update'.

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package angstrom-feed-configs.

* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/hostname is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/hostname-opkg.

* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/hosts is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/hosts-opkg.

all done.

For now, I'll flash a completely new SZ1.52 system, instead of upgrading.

I also consider to use NAND again, not SD. But I like to be able to simply pop out my entire system, put it into a spare Pandora and go on where I stopped...

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who can't mount pnds, what is the output of lsmod ?

If it's empty, then do:

sudo depmod -ae

and reboot.

yes, I did exactly this.

lsmod did not list any modules, then I entered sudo depmod -ae and rebooted. Nothing has changed.

I guess those module problems come from the fact that the kernel that updater finds and updates is not the one actually referenced by (auto)boot.txt , so all the modules become incompatible.

hmc, what's your (auto)boot.txt like?

Well, one thing is sure:

Not working drivers on an update when running from an SD Card Installation either means the kernel or the modules have not been properly updated.

My guess is that it's the kernel, as it's located at a different location than when running from NAND.

Linux-swats solution might fix the system, but if not.

Could someone who has that issue do a uname -a to check if kernel 3.2.30 is running?

quartercast, did you ask me? So do you mean updating an SD root fs?

Yes my dear hmc, as I quoted you just above I thought my question flowed on from that :)

Ok so yours actually started the update process, mine refused to start updating at all.

For now, I'll flash a completely new SZ1.52 system, instead of upgrading.

I also consider to use NAND again, not SD. But I like to be able to simply pop out my entire system, put it into a spare Pandora and go on where I stopped...

I am doing the same... apparently I am getting checksum errors for rootfs.. :p

guys, you are great. SD system is working again.

What was wrong?

The updater installed the new kernel to /boot on the rootfs, but on the FAT partition I use for booting, the autoboot.txt pointed to /uImage-3 on the FAT partition.

Copying the new kernel to the FAT partition solved all problems:

Code:
cp /media/ROOT/boot/uImage-3 /media/BOOT

Sometimes, problems can be solved so easily. I wonder why I did not think of that.

Thanks!

A new problem:

I used the new "Upgrade Pandora OS" function in the System menu.

After analyzing the PND, I see it only calls a script, and that script basically just does

Code:
sudo opkg update

sudo opkg upgrade

Question:

Wasn't exactly this supposed to be dangerous, because the Angstrom feeds are not in sync with our PandoraOS development?

And problem (I did this anyway, as I have a good backup of the root FS ;-) ):

After many, many packages have already been downloaded and installed (but many more probably to come), suddenly NetworkManager said, it did not find ressources it needed, and was terminated. With it, the network connection was gone.

Is this a known problem? Still a WiFi bug maybe?

A RAM problem is not likely, because I use swap space and have 512MB of physical RAM.

Oh, trying to start NetworkManager manually now, gives:

NetworkManager: error while loading shared libraries: libnl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Maybe the OS upgrade was causing this? When the error occurred, some perl modues were just updated. Does the NetworkManager use perl for something? Strange...

Comments welcome! (Kinda stuck now ;-)

A new problem: I used the new "Upgrade Pandora OS" function in the System menu. After analyzing the PND, I see it only calls a script, and that script basically just does sudo opkg update sudo opkg upgrade Question: Wasn't exactly this supposed to be dangerous, because the Angstrom feeds are not in sync with our PandoraOS development?

The Answer is on ED initial post:

UPDATE: Changed feed lists so opkg upgrade doesn't break the system

Yes apart from something is not right... I've just had to do a full reflash to get my Pandora working again...

EDIT: Reading Notaz's post, maybe I did miss a SuperZaxxon update or somethign and upgraded from the wrong version...?

Back