SuperZaxxon v1.52 released!

I don't know how you guys get into all this trouble. I can guess you did not actually have SZ Final installed before and copied the kernel manually or something, and opkg upgrade fails to do it's job from that.

The Answer is on ED initial post:

UPDATE: Changed feed lists so opkg upgrade doesn't break the system

Yes, I read this, but I wonder why this change should cause the potential problems go away.

it's currently downloading a lot of packages from www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable. Is this the new feed URL, or the old one? Maybe updating the feed URLs did not work properly? What are the new feed URLs?

And if these are the correct ones, why should they avoid that the system is broken after opkg upgrade? They are still Angstrom feeds. I thought there is no Angstrom feed, that's in sync with our firmware.

*confused*

I don't know how you guys get into all this trouble. I can guess you did not actually have SZ Final installed before and copied the kernel manually or something, and opkg upgrade fails to do it's job from that.

I have now continued the failed opkg upgrade manually, after manually (i.e. without Networkmanager) establishing an Internet connection again using dhclient. It's still downloading and installing. We'll see, what happens when it's finished.

I cam from an 1.51 final firmware on SD.

I have customized it in some ways, but nothing serious, that could - to my knowledge - cause such problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
update:

opkg upgrade has finished with many (approx. 30) "check_data_file_clashes" errors.

Question:

How to deal with them in the best way? Check every single one? Or --force-overwrite for all in a new round of opkg upgrade? Or simply ignore them for now? What do you think?

Result:

On rebooting (without any further resolution of the above mentioned problems), the screen stayed dark. Doing a reset (Pandora button - On) it begins to boot again - but kernel 2.6! Here, nothing works as expected anymore.

Now starting to restore the last rootfs backup for the third time today. ;-)

Did someone already have positive results with the "Upgrade Pandora OS" feature?

If so, did it succeed only on NAND installs yet, or also on SD installs of 1.52 (upgraded from 1.51 via upgrade PND)?

Thanks

Well, according to the log file you mentioned on the page before, there was an error when the feedlist package was updated. Therefore, it most probably didn't install the new feed sources (which only point to our servers, not to the Angstrom ones) which was the reason opkg killed the system.

The question is: Why didn't it want to replace the feed file?

Did you edit it manually before?

That would probably prevent it from being overwritten.

Well, according to the log file you mentioned on the page before, there was an error when the feedlist package was updated. Therefore, it most probably didn't install the new feed sources (which only point to our servers, not to the Angstrom ones) which was the reason opkg killed the system.

The question is: Why didn't it want to replace the feed file?

Did you edit it manually before?

That would probably prevent it from being overwritten.

Are you speaking about the /etc/opkg/*.conf files?

I guess I edited them by replacing the URLs "www.angstrom-distribution.org/..." by "feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/...", because that server was much faster some time ago.

Why should such an edit prevent the overwrite?

I checked on a NAND install I also upgraded to 1.52, and there the old *.conf files with www.angstrom-distribution.org also still exist. (I did not check the output of the updater PND, though).

Yep, that edit probably caused the issue.

Package managers on Linux only replace standard configuration files on an upgrade. If the user has manipulated it, it does not replace them but rather install it as new copy.

If Linux would not be doing that, it would break custom configs done by the user each time you upgrade.

Would you like to have your carefully selected APT-Sources have overwritten by the default each time the package gets an upgrade?

Nope, you don't. That's why debian creates a copy of the new file (-dist) and keeps your modified one intact.

The same happened here (and that was probably also the error in your terminal output).

I checked on a NAND install I also upgraded to 1.52, and there the old *.conf files with www.angstrom-distribution.org also still exist. (I did not check the output of the updater PND, though).
They should exist but in commented out form. If they are not commented out, you probably did edit those too before upgrade.

Nope, you don't. That's why debian creates a copy of the new file (-dist) and keeps your modified one intact.

They should exist but in commented out form. If they are not commented out, you probably did edit those too before upgrade.

hmm, no -dist files, and angstrom URLs not commented out on my SD install after the 1.52 update.

ooops, and that openpandora.org-feed.conf file with the openpandora.org feed URLs existing on the NAND is missing here. So the feed files upgrade does not seem to be applied at all.

However, on my NAND installation (also 1.51 updated to 1.52), there are also no -dist files, but all angstrom URLs are commented out.

Doing an "Upgrade Pandora OS" on NAND only installs a bunch of gstreamer plugins....

Copying those files over to the SD system now.

Question:

There are certainly packages in the Angstrom feeds, that are safe to install on our Pandora OS. Are those packages copied into the openpandora feed, so that they are available to all Pandora users, even after changing the feed URLs?

If I install a package from the Angstrom feeds and don't have problems with it, can I provide this info to you and you copy the package over into the openpandora feeds?

E.g. I plan to try DVB-T TV on the Pandora, and so I installed, as mcobit did:

Code:
sudo opkg install dvb-apps dvb-scan dvb-tzap

[/code|

As far as I can see, those packages install and work fine on the Pandora OS, so they could be copied into the openpandora feed as well.

Well, Debian creates -dist-files, that doesn't mean opkg does ;)

If anyone knows what packages do not break the system, we could include them in our feeds.

Otherwise we could try with our image builder to create as many packages as possible.

doing upgrade went fine on my system which runs from nand. took about an hour to upgrade.

My keyboard is currently doing weird things, not letting me type every character in the OS and acts as if "control" is pressed down all the time.

Going to reflash to see if it fixes it as I can't do anything that requires Administrative privs.

tty-console-keymap is broken for kernel 3.2:

Reproduce: Try to log out of xfce and enter "exit" as user in the login-manager slim. Then Press ALT+cursor-left until you see a login-prompt. Login as user and "sudo su -" or directly login as root if you set a password for it before.

Now try to type characters that need fn+<key> like the pipe ("|"). Many of them will not work.

Problem: /etc/init.d/keymap searches for /etc/keymap-extension-3.2.map but only the one for 2.6 exists.

Solution: "cp /etc/keymap-extension-2.6.map /etc/keymap-extension-3.2.map" then "/etc/init.d/keymap start"

After that it will work.

P.s.: If you want to restart slim again, then run "/etc/init.d/slim-init start"

hm, not sure if it is/was related. In xfce-terminal i was able to type these characters.

Well, doesn't matter as long as both (yours and mine) things work now.

something else related to the keymap: I noticed that it does not work anymore in tty/console to press and hold the cursor-keys to repeatedly move the cursor. So far I haven't found a solution. I'll let you know if i do. Please do the same. ;)

tty-console-keymap is broken for kernel 3.2:

Reproduce: Try to log out of xfce and enter "exit" as user in the login-manager slim. Then Press ALT+cursor-left until you see a login-prompt. Login as user and "sudo su -" or directly login as root if you set a password for it before.

Now try to type characters that need fn+<key> like the pipe ("|"). Many of them will not work.

Problem: /etc/init.d/keymap searches for /etc/keymap-extension-3.2.map but only the one for 2.6 exists.

Solution: "cp /etc/keymap-extension-2.6.map /etc/keymap-extension-3.2.map" then "/etc/init.d/keymap start"
Thanks for reporting that, I've build a fixed package now and it's available for opkg upgrade.

something else related to the keymap: I noticed that it does not work anymore in tty/console to press and hold the cursor-keys to repeatedly move the cursor. So far I haven't found a solution. I'll let you know if i do. Please do the same. ;)
That never worked in framebuffer console for some reason.

Back