SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

For those who don't want to support Sony financially, you can always buy it used.

I can't see myself buying one of these, used or new, in spite of the impressive hardware (impressive, except for the memory stick thing - why can't Sony ever just use a standard storage format?), until and unless someone figures out how to run homebrew on it without Sony being able to disable it easily. Removing the ability to run Linux from the PS3 was a huge mistake.

Whatever happens, PS Vita has a lot of serious graphical competition coming from Apple and Android devs.

xlarge_battlefield_3_ios_screen_1.jpg

xlarge_battlefield_3_ios_screen_5.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5832824/this-is-what-battlefield-3-will-look-like-on-an-iphone/gallery/1

Last edited by a moderator:
True Sony, but I'm still not fully convinced that the time has come where gamers would actually buy a smartphone/tablet/ipod-touch over a dedicated gaming console.

Not over what they can do, but over the games. Until the day comes that not only do you see Need For Speed/Street Fighter/Call of Duty and other big names simultaneously released on the PS Vita and Iphone/Android/Windows Phone 7 with Equal graphics (or near equal) AND decent controls (with no touch-controls required) -- will gamers actually change.

My opinion of course, but I'm a born and raised gamer, and I love my smartphone, and my gadgets period, but when I want to go play a new racing game, fighting game, or true RPG, I'm gonna grab a 3DS or PS Vita.

Sony,

True. And I have considered/explored that option for myself actually. But the ICP is little-known for one, for two a device that has a built in "ICP" already is more a threat to the Vita, and thirdly, although by release the current level of phones will already have surpassed the Vita (or about to), we still havent seen any developers take it seriously enough to create a game of comparable graphics.

This next statement is one of ignorance, as I'm not a phone-gamer, but also, aside from say Pocket Legends, the phone-mmo, are any of those $.99 - $4.99 RPG games to the level of a 30-60 hours of gameplay with thousands of items, and several hundreds of monsters? Not a rhetorical question.

Lastly, back to the ICP, I just glanced over at the Wiki for it (about 2 hours ago) and it still seems not to be an option for many phones. This too hampers the threat of an ICP+Phone combo to the Life/Sales of a Vita.

Your thoughts?

There's always the option for Smart phone + ICP?
The problem is battery life, my iPhone is finished after 1,5h full load. And no replacement batteries. Disqualifies it for me as a gaming device.

The iControlPad charges your phone as it goes, though, effectively extending battery life. Dunno if it can do that on iPhones, though.

I have never liked psp games they were just to boring for me,always liked ds games because of touch screen,innovation,originality and some games did have good graphics such as super mario 64.

Sony is releasing vita none of the games are are my type.

It's 5" screen size one of the most silly thing ever,vita will be to big to fit in a pocket you need handbag,sony is such an crazy guy,only ps console only appealed to me was ps1.

I doubt we will have anything like pandora with gaming controls,keyboard,email client,firefox browser,emulation,open source pc games,usc connectivity inc. keyboard,mouse,flashdrive,hdd,controllers and many others,clamshell design and many other features.

I have never liked psp games they were just to boring for me,always liked ds games because of touch screen,innovation,originality and some games did have good graphics such as super mario 64.

Sony is releasing vita none of the games are are my type.

It's 5" screen size one of the most silly thing ever,vita will be to big to fit in a pocket you need handbag, sony is such an crazy guy, only ps console only appealed to me was ps1.

I doubt we will have anything like pandora with gaming controls,keyboard,email client,firefox browser,emulation,open source pc games,usc connectivity inc. keyboard,mouse,flashdrive,hdd,controllers and many others,clamshell design and many other features.

4sw0swsw4sw2sw3.gif

Apparently the vitas release date for us and europe is 2012 now but japan may see it for christmas 2011.Its region free though so im gonna import one i reckon.Wonder if ill need a special plug or something to work it.http://ie.psp.ign.co.../1174783p1.html
It'll be the usual plug (shown below) and the power will be universal. We all knew it was going to be region free, because SONY aren't idiots like Nintendo.

fh-2.jpg

As for the Japan launch years and US launch years, well that's been known for over a month now.

Apparently the vitas release date for us and europe is 2012 now but japan may see it for christmas 2011.Its region free though so im gonna import one i reckon.Wonder if ill need a special plug or something to work it.http://ie.psp.ign.co.../1174783p1.html
It'll be the usual plug (shown below) and the power will be universal. We all knew it was going to be region free, because SONY aren't idiots like Nintendo.

fh-2.jpg

As for the Japan launch years and US launch years, well that's been known for over a month now.
Yup I know its old news but its good that we can import one from japan if we want.

Just seen somemore of the upcoming titles and I am well and truly sold, Disgaea 3: Return, Ninja Gaiden, WipEout 2048, Final fantasy X, MGS Collection, ZOE Collection, 'tis going to be an expensive year in 2012 for me.

:)

Back