SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

True, poor choice of words really, if the wife wants one then we'll probably get one but as for now, I'm put off, problem is I'm half expecting it to be released prematurely like the 3DS (without any substantial launch titles or missing features).

Well, Nintendo have from not until launch to reflect on the failure that 3DS was in terms of software (not enough Nintendo games).

Hopefully, they realize that people actually still need to see Mario games (any Mario game) at launch.

They delayed the release of the N64 so Mario 64 could be a release title, as a result that became the best selling launch title of all time.

Just seen the pricing now for the Vita, and the US/UK prices are not right, so I'm getting one from the states regardless (it appears it will be region free), the games are launching at $39.99 which could be a blessing.

I still say as a commercial gaming device the PSV is an awesome achievement. With the 3DS release the PSP still looks more advanced. I so want to see what kind of games will be born of the new control schemes possible by this new handheld. Sadly I will not be able to afford one for a long time if ever. But I do want one. To have a Pandora and the PSV would be the perfect combination of old and new. I really do think the hand-held front is the one place where there is the most room for growth and creative thinking and it does seem like Sony put a lot of effort into thinking of what could be awesome for both the PSP and now the PSV. It should be fun to see what happens, especially now that thye will be priced to compete directly with 3DS. it would seem you get more bang for the buck with PSV.

This looks awesome quite a few gadgets due to come out! .. what's the 3ds like guys , games, 3d tech? any good?

Sony have confirmed the PSV will be region free, and since it won't hit UK shelves until early 2012 (according to Kotaku) I can see imports being rife, especially since it works out at roughly £160 for the base model in America (that's off GamesRadar pricing and the exchange rate being about £1=$1.60 - ish).

The region free is what made the original DS and PSP appealing to me as I live between the US and UK, unfortunately the 3DS isn't region free which was a bit of an off put, but Ocarina of Time and MGS3 saw me buy one regardless (only the 3DS games aren't region free, DS games from any region will still play on the 3DS).

and to Nathan, I usually have the 3D about 1/3rd on if at all, I tend to pop it on to see how the 3D looks in a game, I find Pilot Wings difficult to play with a high level of 3D because it makes it difficult to judge, I feel personally the 3D is a bit of a gimmick as I hardly use it with 3D, some may disagree though, it's difficult to really explain the effect, your best bet is to head down to a local retailer and ask to see one in action.

Bit of a long winded way to say the PSV was region free...

I don't think M$ would be that foolish to enter into the portable video gaming arena at the moment.

Remember, Apple is actually included in the mix and if anything Android OS based smart phones should be included as well.

IMHO, the future of gaming is in Smart phones.
Microsoft launched XBox Live for Phone 7 almost a year ago, with a not exactly small launch catalogue. And honestly I think Android and iOS have vastly more to fear from Windows 8 and KDE's Plasma/Active on a GNU/Linux stack then the reverse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony have confirmed the PSV will be region free, and since it won't hit UK shelves until early 2012 (according to Kotaku) I can see imports being rife, especially since it works out at roughly £160 for the base model in America (that's off GamesRadar pricing and the exchange rate being about £1=$1.60 - ish).

The region free is what made the original DS and PSP appealing to me as I live between the US and UK, unfortunately the 3DS isn't region free which was a bit of an off put, but Ocarina of Time and MGS3 saw me buy one regardless (only the 3DS games aren't region free, DS games from any region will still play on the 3DS).

and to Nathan, I usually have the 3D about 1/3rd on if at all, I tend to pop it on to see how the 3D looks in a game, I find Pilot Wings difficult to play with a high level of 3D because it makes it difficult to judge, I feel personally the 3D is a bit of a gimmick as I hardly use it with 3D, some may disagree though, it's difficult to really explain the effect, your best bet is to head down to a local retailer and ask to see one in action.

Bit of a long winded way to say the PSV was region free...

Thanks for the info mate

It takes SDHC cards as well, so pirates can go that avenue.

I think it's safe to assume games themselves won't load off them (at least not retail ones); if they did, someone might figure out how to play pirated games by exploiting the loader. At least downloadable ones can be locked to your system.

The real question to me is whether Sony is really in a position to follow up on this. That price is almost assuredly at a loss, and they're not really in a position to play that game unless their dream scenario regarding the liabilities associated with their network being compromised plays out. Which tells me their solution to all this still amounts to putting their fingers in their ears and pretending its not happening.

Does anyone know why SONY are releasing NEW propriety memory cards for PSV?
Because they're Sony and proprietary formats of questionable value are what they do?

Other specifications such as 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth V2.1 and SD card support is also" integrated.

http://kotaku.com/5810223/remember-the-ps-vita-memory-and-game-cards-dont-forget
I'm sure Kotaku's source is wrong.

From Official PSVita blog:

Q: What kind of game medium will PS Vita support? What is the official name? Why did you decide to introduce it?

A: It is a small flash memory based card, dedicated for PS Vita. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store add-on game content or the game save directly on the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich, immersive games. We will announce the official name at a later date.

Q: What type of storage media will PS Vita support?

A: This will be announced at a later date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q: What are the specs of the OLED screen?

A: 5 inches (16:9), 960x544 pixels, Approx. 16,770,000 colors displayed

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Back