SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

@SONY

Judging by there comments posted under this story on engadget etc, Not well

Do you find it strange that the Vita (and probably all game consoles) are more expensive in Japan than they are in the US - When you convert Yen to USD.

Example: Wifi + 3G Vita will be $299 in the US, in Japan it will be 29,990 Yen which converts to $388US. The Japanese are paying more for there own products (in this case %30) , weird.

Do you find it strange that the Vita (and probably all game consoles) are more expensive in Japan than they are in the US - When you convert Yen to USD.

Example: Wifi + 3G Vita will be $299 in the US, in Japan it will be 29,990 Yen which converts to $388US. The Japanese are paying more for there own products (in this case %30) , weird.

This has pretty much always been the case. I don't think exchange rates are what determine pricing, I think it depends a lot on various local conditions specific to that market (and this is why game companies often region lock their devices)

I remember way back (90's) a HP executive answered a question honestly for a change. Basically he was asked why they sell printer cartridges for $60 when they cost 50 Cents to make.

His answer was a beauty. He said, because our research showed that people would pay that much for them.

I remember way back (90's) a HP executive answered a question honestly for a change. Basically he was asked why they sell printer cartridges for $60 when they cost 50 Cents to make.

His answer was a beauty. He said, because our research showed that people would pay that much for them.
That's great!

I remember a similar kind of question asked of Simon Le bon of Duran Duran back in the eighties at the height of their fame. It's a differant industry, but the reply is pretty much the same. :p

Question: "Why do so many rock stars date super models?"

Answer: "Because we can!"

Genius!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the PSP Ambassador Program for PS Vita! :D

Here Is Sony’s UMD Solution for PS Vita Owners

The PS Vita does not use UMDs. Instead, it uses cartridges and digital downloads. The UMD is going extinct, putting current PSP owners in a bind should they want to play their PSP titles on the Vita.

Today, Sony announced its solution: UMD Passport.

Starting Dec. 6, the UMD Passport service will start in Japan. Here's how it works: Download a free app called "UMD Registration Application". After that, enter your UMD game disc into your PSP, and according to the on-screen prompts, register your UMD via your PSN Account. The UMD will then be available for purchase.

Once the PS Vita is released in Japan on Dec. 17, you can then download the title on your new Sony handheld. According to Sony, the games will be available at an "agreeable price".

Currently, 40 game companies are offering 200 UMD titles as part of Sony's UMD Passport program. The digital versions of the games are priced anywhere between ¥100 (US$1.29) to ¥2,400 ($31).

Here is a selection of titles to give you an idea of how much the downloads cost on UMD Passort: Patapon 3 (¥1,000 or $13), Gran Turismo (¥1,000 or $13), Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 PSP the Best (¥500 or $6.40), Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (¥1,000 or $13), Dynasty Warriors: PSP the Best (¥500 or $6.40), Persona 3 Portable: PSP the Best (¥1,500 or $19), and Guilty Gear: Judgment (¥500 or $6.40).

This is not a full list of titles, and other companies, such as Konami and Capcom, are participating. Expect pricing and titles at a later date. Obviously, Sony did not disclose U.S. pricing, but one could assume that games priced at, for example, ¥500 would be priced at $5 in the U.S.

As mentioned above, the PlayStation Vita goes on sale in Japan on Dec. 17. It launches in North America and in Europe next year on Feb. 22.

http://kotaku.com/58...-ps-vita-owners

:( That's just awful. So if a game I have is awfully obscure and the company hasn't signed up for this program, I'm still screwed.

There's really no way this is fair for the consumer- Sony wouldn't lose any money if they just sold a UMD dumping kit for the Vita. I'd buy it just to support fairness, but this is absolutely absurd.

There is a way to make it "fair": by having to pay for the digital downloads, you are now given a second license. You can then go and sell the UMDs entirely legally to make up some of the difference.

:( That's just awful. So if a game I have is awfully obscure and the company hasn't signed up for this program, I'm still screwed.
There's really no way this is fair for the consumer- Sony wouldn't lose any money if they just sold a UMD dumping kit for the Vita. I'd buy it just to support fairness, but this is absolutely absurd.

You're operating under the assumption that Vita has the capability to just transparently play PSP all games. That is probably not the case. It's very unlikely that it contains even a partial amount of PSP hardware. It's also pretty unlikely that they have a perfect emulator that just works fine for everything. My bet would be on it having a partial emulator that has to be tweaked on a per-game basis and possibly requires partial or even complete porting for others. In other words, something that costs money and therefore companies won't do it for free nor will they do it at all if they don't expect the game to sell or if the IP is in limbo and capable parties don't have access to it.

Another good point. If Sony said UMD games could not be ported forward, I suspect there would be significantly less complaints. There would still be many complaints, of course, but they'd be tempered and of a completely different nature, or so I imagine. By doing something they are then expected to do everything. From a PR perspective, it probably would have been better to not support UMD games at all than to slip in this charge.

SONY should have just said, "No backward compatibility on PS Vita. Full Stop!".
They probably should have. But if i want psp games ill just buy a psp which should become cheaper over time. backward compatibility is not essential for me here.

How's Vodaphone's service? I remember at E3, people were booing out of their ass the minute Sony announced that they are using AT&T for their 3G because everybody suddenly remembered how awful AT&T was for the iPhone.

Not sure but i knew someone who had a 3g portable dongle thingy with vodaphone and it was shite. Connection came and went.

Back