SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

Well, I just requested one for review... No guarantee I'll get it, but it's worth a shot :D

Anybody think Sony's going to sell a kit to transfer stuff from UMD? I doubt it, though something tells me it would sell.

It would also make it difficult for them to charge you a second (third, fourth...) time for media that you already own.

Nintendo has taken a similar approach with their recent virtual console paradigm.

Precisely. That's why back-compatibility is vanishing, to make more money with remakes.

Japanese gamers have known for a while that they would be getting Sony's highly anticipated upcoming handheld, Vita, before Christmas.

Gamers in Western regions have had to wait a little longer, with Sony only today confirming global release dates for the handheld.

PlayStation Vita will launch in Australia, Europe, North America and Latin America on February 23, 2012, meaning we won't have to wait too long after the November Japanese launch to get our hands on the powerful new handheld.

The wi-fi model will set gamers back AUD $349.95 (RRP) and New Zealanders from NZD $449.95 (RRP), while the the 3G/Wi-Fi model will retail for AUD $449.95 (RRP) and NZD $549.95, respectively.

“PlayStation Vita is a revolutionary device, which will offer the best possible portable gaming experiences available on the market. Its impressive feature set is designed to provide the ultimate gaming experiences on the go. This, combined with social connectivity means there will be not only innovative new ways to play, but also new ways to connect with others,” said Michael Ephraim, Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Australia and New Zealand.

http://psp.mmgn.com/News/PlayStation-Vita-Australian-launch-date

@SONY

$449 AUD vs $299 US for the same item , no wonder the government is starting to look into these price gouging tactics. Lets not also forget that the AUD is stronger than USD, so the difference is even bigger than $150. Just going to buy mine of US ebay if I can like everyone else will. No wonder local shops are up in arms over people buying OS, doesn't help with such massive price differences.

if any of you aussies need me to pick a vita up for you, just let me know, you'll just have to pay the shipping with the us msrp. on the other hand, craigix has some asian connections and he can mass order vitas and distribute them to us if a bunch of us are interested

Yeah I've been speaking with Fatih (who is outside Sony's 'sue the bastards' jurisdiction) and he thinks he can set something up for the forum, so we won't all have to play the ebay game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've been speaking with Fatih (who is outside Sony's 'sue the bastards' jurisdiction) and he thinks he can set something up for the forum, so we won't all have to play the ebay game.
Does this include Imported asian vitas craig?

I'm actually way digging on Sony right now(the company, not the man), and I havn't felt that way about them in a really long time. They made some HUGE mistakes on their last 2 consoles(PSP & PS3), but I must say, these guys are putting 110% into this thing.

Win, loose, or draw, Sony is for sure going all out for the Vita in a way I don't I have ever seen in video games before. It's really nice to this this kind of passion from industry guys who normally could care less about what the consumer or developer wants or needs. I know it's not open source or anything, but I swear that is the only thing this beast is missing.

I really do hope it succeeds, as that will help to close the gap between dedicated game handhelds and these non gaming controls smart phones. Then the world will see that there is still a market for a handheld gaming device with proper gaming controls. That would be nice! ;)

Chris

They made some HUGE mistakes on their last 2 consoles (PSP & PS3 )
Why is that?
Well, the PSP was never properly supported in online functionality. It took about 3-4 years for them to allow a PS1 games to be downloaded directly to a wi-fi enabled device, WTF!? Then there was the lack of the second analog stick as well(a mistake Nintendo is now dealing with, as the market is now DEMANDING it). Don't get me started on their online game prices and release dates VS retail pricing, and release dates(PSP GO anyone?).

Hell, in recent interviews for the Vita, some top execs have come out and said once the PS3 begin developement, that they pretty much threw the PSP under the bus in favor of PS3's future by asking developers and their own in house programmers to work on the PS3 instead. They just figured what ever happens, happens I guess? It really seems like they are now leaving NOTHING to chance for the Vita.

Sony blamed piracy for their lack of success with the PSP, but I personally don't see it. Nintendo has had some of video games greatest success stories, and their systems have always had to deal with piracy. The DS had flash cards around as long as the PSP had custom firmware, and it was a whole lot easier to do it on a DS, than a PSP. I just put custom firmware on mine last year, as it always seemed like a pain in the arse to do, and to my utter suprise, it was a pain in the arse. :lol:

As far as the PS3 goes, it is a wonderful system, but the original price was NUTS! There was some smaller complaints, but I feel price was a HUGE downfall to the systems success. If it was released at a lower price, they could have really been in a great position by now, instead of fighting to gain ground with the 360.

I own both systems, and use them on a regular basis, but they have both had uphill climes due to Sony's poor business plans, or lack there of(at least in my opinion).

Chris

Back