Right, let's start recovering this?

Original pre-order X-OriginalArrivalTime: 02 Oct 2008 23:52:00.0767 (UTC)

#138 for a 1Ghz

AND

Looks like my pledge took kickstarter to exactly 60,000.

CURRENT PLEDGE LEVEL $59,919 + $81

Good luck Craig, I'm behind you. I would like to start playing with my toys soon tho.. :)

Ian

Should send 'thank you' postcards to the original pre-order people, just to let them know they're still remembered :)

(I mean, some of those guys ordered and waited a couple years, then upgraded to rebirth or 1ghz and are waiting again...still didn't get anything; thats two payments that didn't get them anywhere. Upgrading again just sounds ludicrous to some of these guys. But then they lay out for iCP2 .. those are good loyal people :)

jeff

So did anyone cancel their order to buy one of those 6 Pandoras? Seems like that'd be the biggest risk of all, and I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to do that.

My guess (and also the reason why I'm skipping them): they're just CC Pandoras with a silver case, or otherwise refurbished units.

If they were the "standard" edition, I think he would have stated it. Otherwise, why lower the price, if there are people waiting and more people willing to pay the full price?

They're likely like the limited free extra batteries and he just happened to have them sitting around. The price is wonderful, but I don't have anyone I care about enough to buy a Pandora for yet don't care about enough to buy the best one.

Have paid 330 € for a batch2 pandora and I have "donated" 50 €. 380 € should be quite enough to deliver it without a loss. How about a "we don't want to be sponsored" program for people that just want to get their 600 MHz pandora now?

So did anyone cancel their order to buy one of those 6 Pandoras? Seems like that'd be the biggest risk of all, and I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to do that.

I thought about getting a refund for my 1Ghz and buying one of ED's, which would get me a pandora really quickly. However I think that if enough people do that the remainder will be the ones screwed. I'd rather be part of the solution than part of the problem.

What's too bad is if I had a device already, I'm sure I could sell a bunch more to friends

It sounds like Craig just needs to solve his cash flow issues and all will be well again.

Ian

If I had the money I would buy one of 299$ pandoras right now. Sounds like a very good offer. Got a job interview on Tuesday, if it works good, I will take one I think^^.

Craig needs money to buy more Pandoras to sell and make more money to buy more Pandoras. That's the only way out.

ED need to produce those 1000 Pandoras, they must be available in stock. So they can be delivered ASAP to new customers.

Can people just settle down until Craig get his tax returns and more Pandoras are produced?

This problem will get solved as long as people stop canceling their orders from Craig!

Today I was determined to opt for the easy way by buying a 1ghz pandora from Ed or Link and asking Craig a refund. After giving it a second thought I finally chose not to cancel my order. As some other memebers have said, giving up on Craig (asking a refund) will just make things harder for everyone in the short and long term. Now it's the time to move on and stop anger e-mails/posts. We are all in the same ship.Let us be a llittle more patient.

Well I PMed Craig about getting one of the CC units. Will tie me over until I get my 1Ghz from him however I haven't heard anything back yet I really hope he hasn't sold them. Also canceling my order to trade for a 600 Mhz unit doesn't help him because he would recieve no money at all, I don't think he could agree to that either. After that is delivered I will put money in the kickstarter. Good move with the keyboard, I am not interested in a ICP for gaming but to control various devices like my Raspberry pi's.

Although I may get annoyed at times I really do want this project to succeed. I am sure I will buy a Pandora 2 when it is available as well(Providing everything works out with my orders).

Last edited by a moderator:
HI ... I'm a sept 2010 batch 1 pre-order (I was told queue number between 3800-3900). I jumped on the 1 Ghz batch (queue # 137).

From what I was reading, I was getting pretty excited about the 1Ghz. I told my co-workers ... which I now kind of regret :) . I'll admit I'm disappointed ... but I've decided not to ask for a refund.

I do have an idea. Don't know if its a good idea ... but here it is:

What if for us 1 Ghz pre-orders (those that want to participate) buy an in stock 1 GHz with the understanding that we get a refund of the pre-order money. But the refund comes at a time when Craig's finances are better.

I figure

1) We will finally get the 1 Ghz pandora.

2) The profits from the new sale should help Craig in what he needs to do now

3) The pre-order money ends up being an interest free loan

I don't know if there are enough of us that would be willing to risk more ... to have an effect.

Just my 2 cents.

What if for us 1 Ghz pre-orders (those that want to participate) buy an in stock 1 GHz with the understanding that we get a refund of the pre-order money. But the refund comes at a time when Craig's finances are better.

The problem with this idea is that 1Ghz models are only available from stock from ED (Open Pandora GmbH) & Link (Ithic), their companies are totally separate entities to Craigs company (Open Pandora Ltd) so any sales of in stock 1Ghz units will not help Craigs' cashflow.

The problem with this idea is that 1Ghz models are only available from stock from ED (Open Pandora GmbH) & Link (Ithic), their companies are totally separate entities to Craigs company (Open Pandora Ltd) so any sales of in stock 1Ghz units will not help Craigs' cashflow.

That's what Craig an me are working on.

We're working on a way to get some cashflow back into his account, i.e. I send new orders that come via him and he will get the profit for those.

Should send 'thank you' postcards to the original pre-order people, just to let them know they're still remembered :)

(I mean, some of those guys ordered and waited a couple years, then upgraded to rebirth or 1ghz and are waiting again...still didn't get anything; thats two payments that didn't get them anywhere. Upgrading again just sounds ludicrous to some of these guys. But then they lay out for iCP2 .. those are good loyal people :)

jeff
this!

I got my pandora in 2010 and I was on the same list.... thats a really long wait!

We're working on a way to get some cashflow back into his account, i.e. I send new orders that come via him and he will get the profit for those.

Above and beyond the call of duty :)

Great to see the community pulling together in what have been some highly difficult circumstances, viva La Pandora!

How does this differ from a pyramid scheme now?
In a pyramid scheme, OPT would promise X units to redistributers who pre-order for Y cost, with the promise of further units once those are sold. Those redistributers would then sell some X+x' pre-orders to customers for Y+y' cost, banking on the full sale and eventual claim of additional units. Some of those customers might then attempt to sell x'' units on ebay for Y+y'+y'' cost attempting to bank on the promise of a quick return. And thus the pyramid grows wider as it goes.

Craig and EvilDragon are basically a straight line to the end customer. A few bumps in the line, but for the most part it's all top to bottom.

I think the word you were looking for is "Ponzi" scheme, where it needs an ever increasing influx of investment to cover the principal and promised interest of the earlier investors, but even this fails: when a ponzi scheme fails, only the newest members lose whereas here it would be the oldest pre-orders that would lose. Also not quite accurate because a ponzi scheme takes new investments to cover old investments whereas OPT is no longer accepting pre-orders to cover old pre-orders: they are making outright sales to cover old pre-orders. This scheme necessarily has at worst a zero return, meaning old pre-orders hang in limbo for eternity, and at best a positive return, meaning Craig really is shipping old pre-orders with each new sale. If they start taking pre-orders again, THEN we're at risk of the kind of negative return that causes a ponzi scheme to collapse.

So it looks like we need a new term for this financial innovation - perhaps "pandora scheme"?

Back