Production Pyra photos/videos/thoughts thread

Those errors are because gl4es implements OpenGL 2.0 only (hardware limitations mean anything more recent isn't possible). SuperTux does seem to fall back fine to 2.0, so I doubt this is the cause of the performance issues.

What level are you trying? And do you know if your prototype has some kind of heatsink fitted?

Those errors are because gl4es implements OpenGL 2.0 only (hardware limitations mean anything more recent isn't possible). SuperTux does seem to fall back fine to 2.0, so I doubt this is the cause of the performance issues.

What level are you trying? And do you know if your prototype has some kind of heatsink fitted?
I was just trying the intro / first / learning level. I haven't had any reason to take a screwdriver to my prototype. Not daunted by it - just didn't have any reason to. @EvilDragon - does my prototype #8 "Marble" have a heatsink fitted?

If you are looking for another Debian game to test the 3D with, try trackballs. I was unable to get it to play nice, but as seen above that could just be a me issue. Give it a try if you have the time?

grench, is blender in the repos? if it is, can you load it up and rotate the view and tell us if that is laggy / worrking / not working?
Starting with version 2.8, Blender has a hard requirement for OpenGL 3.3, so the only way this will ever run on the OMAP5 is with software rendering. Which will most likely be painfully slow.

Yes, the SGX544 only supports OpenGLES 2 (with a few extensions). @ptitSeb 's gl4es can be used as a shim to support a large subset of OpenGL 1/2, like on the Pandora. My understanding is that the architecture of mobile GPUs mean not all programs designed for desktop GPUs work well with this though.

Alright - so trackballs is probably out. I was able to play through the first few levels of Supertux2. Gameplay speed on my prototype is highly dependent on how many 'monsters' are on-screen at the time. Workable, but this game could probably use a Pyra-optimized version at some point (stating the status of it - not asking for someone to do it anytime soon).

Thank you for checking!

Nice video!

I guess it's hard to do in retroarch, but I have to ask given the recent discussion, how many emulators can it run at once? I think the record on the devboard is two PS1 games (at least one of which was Spyro I think) and a couple of MD emulators at the same time.

And thanks for getting charging without booting working. We always had the problem on Pandora that it would boot up even if you'd turned it off before plugging it in. People were saying it would need a simple secondary OS to just sit there and sleep while it was charging and maybe you've coded that. It might be nice if the screen could maybe report charge levels if you open the lid, but perhaps just by the blinking of LEDs you can convey sufficient information for us there.

IIRC there are two LED lights in the lid to light up the logo. These presumably correspond to the two lights adjacent to the power key, and we can't actually see the power key colour from the outside. Therefore to my mind at least, these should be the main way to indicate what the charger is doing.

I assume the charging works like it does on the Pandora. First of all it tries to charge the battery to full, or whatever you set the maximum charge level to. Once it gets to that level, it stops charging and lets the battery run down until it hits a predefined level, at which point it starts charging again (I'll call that the recharge level). In which case I guess there are three charge states to render, once when it's charging from flat, which could change when it exceeds the recharge level, and a different indication when it's hit max and is now discharging. I guess if it's not been switched on and isn't sitting rotating it's log files and stuff like that, the LED light might be the main thing discharging the battery. I wonder how dim you can make those LEDs and still have them more or less visible in shaded sunlight (before you've opened the curtains in the morning, at least in the summertime). Maybe it might be best to have them completely off, but if you can monitor the button state, a press of a shoulder button could light the lights for five seconds maybe. Having had my fair share of suddenly duff charge cables, it's worth being able to discriminate between the system being dead because it can't charge and the system basically asleep because it's been fully charged.

I need to take a look at the schematic to see what’s good with the LEDs on the display board. With regards to charging the battery when off, a secondary OS is not needed for this. We could handle this in the initramfs and prevent mounting the rootfs and continuing booting until we’ve reached a good level. In my opinion it’s better to handle this in the bootloader but I’m open to options.

For now there’s no driver in the bootloader to handle the display. This is not particularly trivial so it’ll be a little bit until I get this going. For now just LED feedback. The charger chip fully handles proper charging of the battery, so all we need to do is configure the appropriate settings and wait until we’re charged enough to to boot if we’re below a certain threshold.

Really nice, thanks for the video! :)

What I'm also curious about is whether the Pyra plays in-browser DRM content already. Stuff like Spotify, Netflix etc?
And is Full screen video playback tear-free? Maybe you can show some big buck bunny on different quality settings?

Last edited:
There will almost certainly be some tearing at the left of the screen (the first scanned out lines) due to some Vsync oddities in the X and/or kernel drivers; even if everything else is set up to be supposedly 'tear free'.

I plan to investigate this once some more pressing issues like the occasional idle-related freezes are solved.

This is quite nice that you make our waitingtime shorter whit youre Videos, daveshah, thangs verry much for this, even if i ditnt had the Time to watch this Video this morning..

Seems like its not the expensive doorstopper in the first 2 months (tm) like i thought..

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
Back