Production Pyra photos/videos/thoughts thread

ClockworkCoder

Chaotic Neutral
However, I disagree that "fun" and "open-source" need be traded-off against each other. For a critical part of the market, they are one and the same thing! I have an Android phone, and it is not fun, because I have no meaningful control over its behaviour.
It's exactly this reason I love the (concept of) the Pyra. Having full control over the software and UI and meaningful control over the hardware and upgrades makes the Pyra fun. For retro gaming and for the keyboard layout alone it is great, but they don't do anything on their own to set it apart from other devices in their respective fields (i.e. retro handhelds, tiny computers or palmtops). The Pyra is an amalgamation of everything that is cool from each of those in one neat little package - with a little extra kudos to it being at the epicenter of a cool, active community.

ClockworkCoder

Chaotic Neutral
I see what you are saying. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?
Posted the above just as you asked this. I have one more thing to add though.

Take of the customisability a little further, and imagine... if, for argument's sake, we both own a (enter brand here) phone or retro device. Assuming you had access to my device, then you would be able to use it - everything would be familiar and known to you.

However, when I finish customising my Pyra, certainly the UI will likely not be familiar to you, nor would any shortcuts or settings (although it ought to perfectly fit my chosen workflow for it). The case may also have changed with some modifications. Yours may have changed equally, or it may not - that's the point. Make the Pyra your own: that's damned exciting, is it not!

λ the β-Redex Reducer

β-Redex Reducing Member
It's good to see that I'm not the only one that considers the Pyra's libreness to be an extremely important advantage of the Pyra. It's advertised on the Pyra's main page and IMO rightfully so because it's very important. It's not good to let malicious vendors lock us in, spy on us, manipulate us, limit what we can do, prevent us from learning, and expose us to security vulnerabilities. I know that the Pyra is not fully libre but it's significantly more libre than most of it's competitors.

ToastBucket

Very Active Member
Edit: Yes, we seem to be seeing strobing at lower intensities, even when you aren't changing the brightness. I assume that isn't visible in real life, just an artifact of the exact camera you're using.
yeah you can’t actually see that it’s just showing up on my camera. The backlight is PWM driven so decreasing the brightness decreases the duty cycle.

daveshah

The newer display boards use a much faster PWM frequency (8.3kHz). Based on the backlight driver chip (TPS61169DCK) datasheet, there is essentially a low pass filter inside so this gives true-analog backlight control by changing the setpoint current rather than actually turning the LEDs on and off.

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
After my Pandora had an issue whit its Backlight Controll, which was gone some hours bevore i accidently trow it on the Floor, which causes the Backlight to fire up on full power all the time it was on, and it was uncontrollable.. its nice to hear, that the Pyra will get a decent backlight controll ..

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
My Work Jeans Shorts dos have Buttons on the "Hosenstall" (Pants Stable), and they are a bit thight to close as its a pretty though Jeans Material,
So i can close this Pants in Darkness, but not that easy as if it would have a "Zipper" ^^

But therefore, there is a Zipper in the "Pandora/Pyra" Pocket,

λ the β-Redex Reducer

β-Redex Reducing Member
*shrugs* I don't specifically have anything against them myself, though I do prefer to wear jeans during my waking hours. The quote however always struck me as funny and as such it stuck in my head.

-Neelix
It does not matter anyway. Drawstring pants cannot go back into style again because they never went out of style.

ToastBucket

Very Active Member
Probably because you had your phone/other camera device oriented pointing down, the accelerometer in it got confused. I'm not sure what this looks like on your camera device of choice, so no suggestions on how to stop it happening in future, although if I remember properly, ffmpeg can rotate videos in a jiffy if you spot that mistake prior to posting it.
whoopsies I’ll keep an eye on that in the future. Thanks for the ffmpeg tip forgot about that tool. I’ll probably need to use it when I get around to working on splash screen.

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
Will it be easy to make it just show boot lines? I couldn't disable the boot splash on the Pandora.

ToastBucket

Very Active Member
Will it be easy to make it just show boot lines? I couldn't disable the boot splash on the Pandora.
I mean that’s what it does now so it’s pretty easy :) I haven’t really started to look into the splash screen on the bootloader yet. I think ED said there’s no display driver in uboot for the omap5 so that’s definitely a waste of effort at this point. Kernel should be doable but there’s a number of priorities before that to get resolved

Grench

Forum Addict!
Here are some instructions to try (I haven't actually tried them verbatim yet so expect problems...).

If you aren't on Buster already, you can start from this image: https://packages.pyra-handheld.com/rootfs/buster/mate.img.7z

Run:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-5.6.15-letux-lpae-dave dri3wsegl-pyra xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5
Reboot, and replace /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-fbturbo.conf with the following content (you will need to be root to edit this file):

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Pyra  FBDEV"
    Driver        "omap5"
    Option        "DRICard" "2" # must point to the /dev/dri/cardX corresponding to omapdrm because detection can sometimes fail
    Option        "DriverName" "omapdrm"
    Option        "SoftEXA" "false" # will disable etnaviv acceleration. CPU only EXA is actually faster, but let all the work to A15 core
    Option        "TilerRotation" "270"
EndSection
Finally, reboot again, and you will now have 3D and X11 playing together. Download a gl4es build from ds0.me/libGL.so.zip and extract it somewhere (for the sake of below, /home/david/gl4es).

Then, in a terminal, run

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/omap5-sgx-ddk-um-linux/lib/:/home/david/gl4es DRI3_VSYNC=1
glxgears
Make sure that glxgears runs smoothly. If you are connected over SSH or serial, rather than a terminal window on the Pyra itself, you will need to add DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority to the export command.

Finally, in the same terminal, run SuperTux:
Code:
sudo apt-get install supertux
/usr/games/supertux2
Let me know how you get on with this :) I do apologise that it isn't as user-friendly as it could be, but it's still a work in progress.

Addendum:
- when I say reboot, I really mean "turn off and on again", soft reboots are still in the progress of being fixed and a patch isn't included in that kernel yet
- if you get spurious '+' button presses, run "sudo rfkill block wwan"
I got through the step for replacing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-fbturbo.conf with the contents provided. I did that step on my Linux workstation so I could just copy/paste the contents in. The next boot on the Pyra resulted in getting stuck in the boot process. Removed battery, restarted, same issue. I can try to get Minicom working again if we need it. The following is what is on the 'stuck screen'. Marble is my name for my Pyra. I'm typing this in, and this text on the Pyra is an eye chart, so please excuse typos.

Debian GNU/Linux 10 Marble tty1

Marble login: [ 20.807835] wlcore: PHY firmware version: Rev 8.2.0.0.242
[ 20.904400] wlcore: firmware booted (Rev 8.9.0.0.79)
[ 20.922144] wlcore: down
[ 21.402970] wlcore: PHY firmware version: Rev 8.2.0.0.242
[ 25.948722] wlcore: down
[ 29.949722] wlan0: authenticate with ((big hex code))
[ 29.993508] wlan0: send auth to ((big hex code))
[ 30.028856] wlan0: authenticated
[ 30.041232] wlan0: associate with ((big hex code))
[ 30.067395] wlan0: associated
[ 30.162074] IPv6: ADDRCDNF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
[ 30.17387] wlcore: Association completed.
[ 34.401101] host1_vbus_power: supplied by modem_vbus_hdmi_power
[ 34.409538] host2_vbus_power: supplied y modem_vbus_hdmi_power
[ 34.421938] ldo3: disabling
[ 34.425074] ldo8: disabling
[ 34.435074] otg_path: disabling
[ 152.982463] bqbq2429x_charger 1-066b: bq2429x_usb_detect: r8=b4 ADAP CHGTERM PWGOOD r9=80 WDDG
[ 153.530485] bqbq2429x_charger 1-066b: bq2429x_usb_detect: r8=ac ADAP FCH6 INDPM PWGOOD r9-80 WDDG
[ 194.065548] bqbq2429x_charger 1-066b: bq2429x_usb_detect: r8=00 r9=80 WDDG
[ 194.073214] bqbq2429x_charger 1-066b: bq2429x: VBUS became unavailable

The last line appeared when I disconnected the power to bring it over to the desk so I could try to type all that.

Any ideas?

Oh - and I just noted that it was not 'completely frozen' in that state. Touching the power button flashed the usual shutdown text and then the unit powered down.

Grench

Forum Addict!
Just a note - I want to help test stuff - but I also don't want to waste your "Pyra Time" by doing tech support for my benefit. If it is easier to say, 'wait for the next round of release', that is fine too.

daveshah

No, it's very useful to have this stuff beta tested before 100s of people are playing with it!

Minicom is probably going to be needed (as the wireless seems to be working, if you know the IP address it should also be possible to ssh into it.)

To find out why X11 isn't working, the output of `cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log` should be insightful. You don't need to post the whole thing, just however many lines at the end reference some kind of error or problem.

jakko

Still Fresh
In case it's just X11 not starting, switching to a virtual console by e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F4 (or on Pyra Ctrl+Alt+Fn+4) might work too for checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log and modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-fbturbo.conf.

Edit:
Debian GNU/Linux 10 Marble tty1

Marble login:
I haven't noticed before: The boot was actually successful. You can just login with username and password. And then 'cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log'. The last few lines should give a hint what's wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl

ToastBucket

Very Active Member
There is a known bug which causes freezes. I’ve encountered it a couple times, it happens randomly and semi-frequently (maybe once every day or 2). daveshah has found it to be related to the power state code. This could be what you’re experiencing, though I’m not sure. I’m pretty sure a symptom of that bug is full CPU lockup in which case clean shutdown would not be possible.

it’s VERY useful to have others in the field finding and reporting bugs. The more tests are run, the more data we have and the easier it is to track these bad boys down n fix em.

it’s also possible that the bug is related to the charger driver. Maybe it’s just because that’s where my headspace has been, but I’ve experienced a lot of weird behavior in the driver that I’m still fully characterizing. I have seen the work queue which manages updating the charger state lock up, so it’s possible you hit a particularly bad one where the IRQ triggered at the same time as the polling detect and both locked up running in separate cores. I’m hoping to have fixes for this driver merged in soon but it’s involving quite a lot of work.