Some Prototype Pictures

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As promised, here are some Hires pictures of the prototype.

Of course, light bleeding is horrible with a transparent prototype, and you can see that not everything fits perfectly yet, but that's what the transparent case is for.

The white stuff you can see below the battery compartment is a heat blocker that prevents the heat to reach the battery.

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions :)

DSC02923.JPG DSC02922.JPG DSC02921.JPG DSC02914.JPG DSC02913.JPG DSC02911.JPG DSC02910.JPG

That with a black PCB would be glorious.

Edit, it would maybe be possible to use the open spaces where the battery cover fastens to put heatsinks in. Then possibly fasten them to the walls in the channel. Then run something like a graphene sheet between the heatsink and the SoC.

Heatsinkspace.jpg

02-mem-heatsinks.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!
A question, just out of curiousity : The Lid section is a bit assymetrical. There are more holes and the right side than on the left, (only on the left side with screws, as it seems because the lcd pcb is too big and probably would need somes holes too/additional cutting yet)

What are the additional holes on the right side for? They also seem to be a bit smaller than the other screw holes.

ED, can you please take more pictures from every angle with all the leds switched on IN THE DARK.... the light bleed doesn't seem as bad as I thought with the clear case...

What's the minimum order for a run of cases?
Perhaps we can achieve with the clear case, what we never managed to with the Pandora Aluminium case....

I.e. if enough people make downpayment on a clear case, a run can be funded after the Pyra has been released, and then you can sell the remaining clear cases in your shop for MORE PROFIT!!

That white stuff that looks like tape in the first pic is a heat shield or thermal insulator, right? (I need to learn to read the words above the pretty pictures before asking questions.) How labor intensive will it be to add that during production? If it isn't there will it damage or shorten the lifetime of the battery, or maybe even cause it to catch on fire and burn down a workspace? ;)

@EvilDragon in the current case color poll clear is pretty popular. Is there a chance you would consider that as a production case color option?

Another benefit of clear or translucent cases, other than looking pretty and being able to keep an eye on the guts, is that you can see the internal indicator LEDs when it is closed. If the logo and internal ones can be controlled independently I can see them all being used together. Example: internal indicators used for disk activity/processor activity/temperature and the logo ones can be used to indicate wifi/Bluetooth/4G (or even incoming messages or missed calls if that stuff ever happens).

Edit: I need to look at those pics in the dark a little more. It seems like I have little need to be concerned about being blinded by the keyboard backlights if I were to have them on in the dark in a clear case.

Looks great!
A question, just out of curiousity : The Lid section is a bit assymetrical. There are more holes and the right side than on the left, (only on the left side with screws, as it seems because the lcd pcb is too big and probably would need somes holes too/additional cutting yet)

What are the additional holes on the right side for? They also seem to be a bit smaller than the other screw holes.
I think those were added for looks, to help balance the appearance of the final case since there are only screws on the left. Think of them as dummy screws.
[doublepost=1459834316,1459833604][/doublepost]:confused:Is that a crack next to the hinge?:'(

Last edited:
Looks cool, but where is the hole for the Wrist Band Mount??
Thats importand if you ditnt want the Pyra to fall off your hands..
And why do you ditnt use the Pandora Stylus and its Stylus Holder for testing purposes??
Or dosnt it fit anymore because the Pyra Stylus is going to be bigger??

I really like the surface finish. I am very happy you went with that.

I am now curious if those are the final screws as well.

Oh no... I am at work and can´t lower my trou.. Aehm looks nice, I just love the transparent case.

Is it me or is there a crack at the hinge region?

Amazing pictures I like the screen with the small bezel compaired to the pandora, it seems a lot more thight in all spots, yummy.

Looks like a smudge, or roughed surface from a drop, and a tiny crack besides it.
Most likely a prototype issue. or some serious frustration has been unleashed on that hinge.

looks amazing! Are you running the Pyra OS on it now or is it still something else?

WOW, that is looking damn nice. I can't wait to see some of the color cases during the prototype stages. This is going to be a killer handheld.

Chris

Back