Preparing for a Prototype

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
I'm not at all sure about that. I usually predownload my videos using a dash algorithm, h264+HC_AAC ends up in a combined mkv file and VP9+Opus is more likely to end up in a webm file at my end. Both work in mplayer and vlc so I've not worried too much about it to be honest.

elvissteinjr

Very Active Member
There's no hardware accelerated decoding on Linux in web browsers anyways. At least not in official builds.
You'll be better off passing those videos to mpv or something. Still needs one of the GPU decoding APIs to be implemented for OMAP5, though.

Grench

Forum Addict!
For giggles and grins. No, I didn't watch the whole episode this way.

Pyra running VLC, dvdcss, that IS a USB DVD player sitting underneath it, playing through the Pyra's USB port. Note - VLC when playing back video on my Pyra superimposes the desktop and the video on top of each other. That is why you're seeing a Pyra logo on the entrance to Stargate Command. I believe this to be running without any acceleration at this point - so software decode only.

Still, I think it says some pretty favorable things about the USB port and the Pyra's capabilities.

Letalis Sonus

Advanced Member
I usually predownload my videos using a dash algorithm
The browser literally just plays a soundless video file and an audio file in parallel, they can be freely mixed without having to rely on any kind of intermediate container format to unify them first. This only becomes an issue if you want to store them into a single file. VLC actually supports this as well, it allows to play several files synchronously.

Youtube-dl uses mkv as a fallback in the case that the container format of the video file does not support the codec of the audio file. It correctly merges common m4a AAC files into mp4 files, you probably encountered a special case where Youtube decided for some reason to include a type of audio stream that is not commonly used, which might not be fully supported by the script, yet.