Some Prototype Pictures

That with a black PCB would be glorious.

Edit, it would maybe be possible to use the open spaces where the battery cover fastens to put heatsinks in. Then possibly fasten them to the walls in the channel. Then run something like a graphene sheet between the heatsink and the SoC.

Something similar has already been done on the USB ports, you can see them in the picture.
Not a heatsink, but some copper feather contacts (which I had lying around), good enough for a test.

Question is: Where do you get such tiny heatsinks from to put them in there?

View attachment 28202

02-mem-heatsinks.jpg
[/QUOTE]
[doublepost=1459857918,1459857798][/doublepost]
Looks great!
A question, just out of curiousity : The Lid section is a bit assymetrical. There are more holes and the right side than on the left, (only on the left side with screws, as it seems because the lcd pcb is too big and probably would need somes holes too/additional cutting yet)
What are the additional holes on the right side for? They also seem to be a bit smaller than the other screw holes.

Only two sides have screws (bottom and left), the rest has clips (as the screen is too big).
Opening it makes things a lot easier than on the Pandora: Open the screws and as the clips are not all way round, you can easily remove the frame.

The "fake" screw holes are meant to maybe put some cover in (like with the early Pandoras), so the screws and the fake screws are covered with the same pads which will make it look symmetrical.
[doublepost=1459858225][/doublepost]
How labor intensive will it be to add that during production? If it isn't there will it damage or shorten the lifetime of the battery, or maybe even cause it to catch on fire and burn down a workspace? ;)

This is manually applied for testing. For production, we will use pre-cut stickers, so it's fast and easy to apply them to.

@EvilDragon in the current case color poll clear is pretty popular. Is there a chance you would consider that as a production case color option?

Yes, I might offer a transparent case in a limited production run as well :)

I am now curious if those are the final screws as well.

Yes, those are Pandoras screws (and unlike on the Pandora, they work properly with that plastic :D)
We still got 50.000 of those lying around... :)

Is it me or is there a crack at the hinge region?

No, I think what you see as a crack are just remainders from the gaffa tape we used to keep the printed case backside together with the front frame (the screws didn't really hold it down).

Something similar has already been done on the USB ports, you can see them in the picture.
Not a heatsink, but some copper feather contacts (which I had lying around), good enough for a test.

Try to search for SFP or XFP heatsinks. I know several DWDM Boards wich uses different types to spread the heat from the modules.
Normal size should be to long for one single USB-Port, but maybe there are short oder modular ones out there.
Important is, most of them are very flat.

Thats a nice result from google picture search
http://www.fourte.com/fiber-optics/74-xfp-cage-xfp-heat-sink-and-xfp-heat-sink-clip.png

That thing looks amazing.

Glad to see the light bleed is trivial even on the clear case. Totally stoked on this. Can't wait to pre-order.

Those are GPU-ram heatsinks. I think the base is 14x14mm
I just picked that because its readily available as a non-speciality product.

The USB connectors are in free air, so dissapating some heat (not so much you cant put a stick in, just so that you dont load the inside air and material to capacity) through there, if available seems like a free design-win.

Heatsinks be had in all sorts of sizes on for example http://eu.mouser.com/Thermal-Management/Heat-Sinks/_/N-5gg0/

Edit: What kind of size is one of the chambers?

Last edited:
Curious - how do the nubs connect to those square nibs? Have you tried to 3d print any examples?

I would have skipped the fill bumpers over the real and fake screw holes - and skipped the fake screw holes too. It is an interesting aesthetic detail though.

Great work!

I would have skipped the fill bumpers over the real and fake screw holes - and skipped the fake screw holes too. It is an interesting aesthetic detail though.
I probably would not have done it either. I think we probably look at this differently than some consumers. For me it doesn't matter much if it is pretty in that sense. I mean, I do like how it looks, but I am ok with it looking like I can open it easily if I felt like it, because I can. I guess the fake screw holes give it that complete look for those that won't pop it open themselves to replace the screen.

And that right there is an example of what makes the Pyra awesome. I remember when I was asked to replace a broken screen on a smartphone last year, and I could tell by looking at tutorials that I would probably cause even more damage during the process. The Pyra is made for us to do what we want with the hardware, not just the software. It is great that there are still some small companies willing to offer that, and even better that they try to do things in a more socially and environmentally considerate way than the big guys.

Not sure why I am going on about this. I just really want to use one instead of just looking at it. I already have some ideas for it, and I want to see what else I can throw at it. How much longer until the mass produced units start shipping?

Want.. Options don't matter anymore, whatever is fastest because it will already be 20x better than the Pandora that I love with all things considered
[doublepost=1459875483,1459874186][/doublepost]A guy at the airport just saw my Pandora, thought it was a DS, but when I showed him it was a Pandora (and explained) he was super exited.

I dropped the Pyra knowledge on him and he seemed very interested. Another may soon join us.

Edit: He is sending more people over to check it out. I'm happy to show them and talk Pyra

I assume that the spatial dimensions of the Pyra are now set. What are they? How does the Pyra's size compare with the Pandora? The image with the printed case made the Pyra look much much thicker, so I expect that the final case will be closer to the Pandora's thickness.

I assume that the spatial dimensions of the Pyra are now set. What are they? How does the Pyra's size compare with the Pandora? The image with the printed case made the Pyra look much much thicker, so I expect that the final case will be closer to the Pandora's thickness.
Its a little bit thicker afaik than the Pandora was. Not much but because the Pandora already was thick, it could matter more on the Pyra. Still wondering why there is so much free space inside, besides cooling benefits, the Stylus for example is tiny, there is more space so it could be bigger than the one from the Pandora actualy.

Besides that, the molding looks decent, the llight blocking is good, only the ugly gaps and weird non-matching seams between top and bottom base annoy me (look at the USB port area backside, nothing really fits there). I hope this will be fixed before mass production.

Looks like its all on track. Still want a Dark red Pyra.

I'd be interested to know how the nubs feel and respond with games. But I know it can't run games just yet.
The nubs do click right?
Can't wait find my keys with the backlit keyboard- now where did I put those damn keys...

That smoky black case seems to tick both the transparent and the dark grey boxes for me - I think that's actually the colour I want now!

Have you been able to test the shoulder buttons with this slightly wonky case? I tried on my Pandora and found that if I moved my fingers to imaginary L2/R2 buttons they tended to move towards the center of the case slightly as well, so that should be ideal for the Pyra's layout.

Have any prototypes been posted to developers yet? I'm hopeful we'll get some really cool stuff as soon as some of them get their hands on a unit, and hopefully that will be enough for Notaz to be able to start looking for a proper solution for the 3D driver issue.

I notice the Q and K buttons seem to be much darker on those shots exposing the keyboard backlight. I see they were taken on a black background, but how much ambient light was there when that shot was taken? Hopefully even though the backlight is not that visible in the lighting used, it might still show up well in the dark. And perhaps this is something you can tweak in future prototypes?

Looks good so far but any chance for metal cases as as alternate to plastic? Considering the predicted final cost I wouldn't mind paying extra.

Looks good so far but any chance for metal cases as as alternate to plastic? Considering the predicted final cost I wouldn't mind paying extra.

It never came to be, but the lowball estimate to manufacture aluminum cases for the Pandora was about $100 per case.

It never came to be, but the lowball estimate to manufacture aluminum cases for the Pandora was about $100 per case.

Experimenting to see if I could build my own pyramid...

If I recall, the Pandora sold something in the range of 5000 +/- units. Then there was talk about making an aftermarket Aluminum enclosure. If the Pyra can hit 10000 +/-, then I'm betting alternate cases in Aluminum would be more feasible - on the theory that ~1% of Pyra owners would be interested in a $100 self installed add-on and that getting the machining down to $100 per unit would require a MOQ of ~100 units.

Back