Pandora 2 Concept

realjdpgs4.png

Apart from speed/memory/etc, at least:
  • HDMI out
  • GPS
  • Orientation sensor
HDMI is of the most use to me, so I can do presentations from it.
If a suitable 720p display is available, I'll have one of those also.
And offer a convertible tablet version (or make the keyboard removable), costing enough extra to cover patent costs plus a bit.

daffy said:
  • HDMI out
  • GPS
  • Orientation sensor
And offer a convertible tablet version (or make the keyboard removable), costing enough extra to cover patent costs plus a bit.

You're getting far too serious, Mr!
:D
Just get a GPS USB dongle online and get Linux drivers.

There won't be a Pandora2 for a long while hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
kingoddball said:
daffy said:
  • HDMI out
  • GPS
  • Orientation sensor

You're getting far too serious, Mr!
:D
Just get a GPS USB dongle online and get Linux drivers.

There won't be a Pandora2 for a long while hopefully.
A built-in GPS chip should be cheap by the time P2 comes along. Having it built-in means developers will be more likely to code for it. And I want a simple device I can just take everywhere with me; I don't want to have to carry a bunch of crap everywhere, nor have all sorts of crap sticking out of it.

For the non-sarcastics, here's a concept (don't mind the keylayout):

The pandora II features:

- A touchpad used for the left thumb... maybe an experimental D-pad.
- L and R buttons are relocated and also used as left/right mousebutton for the right thumb.

:)

pan2.png

kin said:

The pandora II features:

- L and R buttons are relocated and also used as left/right mousebutton for the right thumb.

pan2.png

That..... actually looks pretty damn sick if you ask me :unsure:

TheRain said:
That..... actually looks pretty damn sick if you ask me :unsure:
is that sick in the good way or sick in the bad way?

Mm. Personally, I thought the gaming controls on the original made a lot of sense, and cutting out three of the four options for a touchpad seems like a bad move to me. The analogue nubs can serve as a half-decent mouse for non-gaming purposes, and in my oppinion, it's not a lot to ask to either focus on keyboard control and/or hook up a mouse, or something similar.

Also, again from a gaming perspective, moving the L and R buttons onto the main keyboard area means you can only access the two of them with a single finger, and only one at a time unless you try to press them both down in a rather awkward way, reducing control flexibility. That and they take up room that other features could occupy as a result.

Moving all the number buttons into a numpad configuration would be convenient, but there's so little space on the Pandora as is, and lining them up along the top so they took a minimum of space -and- retained a standard configuration made a lot of sense to me.

I'm not trying to be overly negative, so I hope I don't come across too harshly. Those are my thoughts, however. The current layout does an excellent job of efficiently cramming tons of functionality into a small space, without expecting you to break your thumbs using it.

All that said, I liked the feel of the LEDs, and I think you did an excellent job of making the device look very slick in terms of general aesthetics. :)

@ kin, something about that made me think it was a calculator. That's not a bad thing though, I still got that trusty TI-83 :D

Obviously, the Pandora 2 is going to be/have virtual reality glasses.

edit: oh and skyeyemachine is right

kin said:

The pandora II features:

Apart the fact that I prefer sarcasm regarding a P2 right now, I like the idea of a touchpad or even better would be one of those mini optical pointer thingies that are common on UMPCs/MIDs. I might try to mod my Pandora if I can find a way to connect it to the USB port. First person shooters are what I like the most when I don't want to use my brain, but if I can get used to dual nub action, I might drop the idea.

All you guys need is the new xPhone.
The commercial is in German, but I bet you get it anyway.

It even has the already proposed toaster plus "SMS-to-toast".

B-Man said:
All you guys need is the new xPhone.
The commercial is in German, but I bet you get it anyway.

It even has the already proposed toaster plus "SMS-to-toast".

That commercial will never die. :lol:

Heheh indeed a bit controverse with the controls but I've never thought of connecting an usb touchpad.
Could be comfortable using it and placing over the front console while standing at a busstop.

kin said:
Heheh indeed a bit controverse with the controls but I've never thought of connecting an usb touchpad.
Could be comfortable using it and placing over the front console while standing at a busstop.

Wouldn't the touch screen be sufficient? I semi-understand the aforementioned FPS use, but I once had a several hour session in L4D with my laptop touchpad and managed to get some carpal tunnel symptoms.

darien said:
kin said:

Wouldn't the touch screen be sufficient? I semi-understand the aforementioned FPS use, but I once had a several hour session in L4D with my laptop touchpad and managed to get some carpal tunnel symptoms.
I think it probably would be, frankly; you can tilt the Pandora screen back so far it's basically parallel to the bottom half of the unit, giving you a flat surface for drawing or intensive screen-interaction. If you put it on a table, you can probably prop your hand up comfortably enough with a book or small cushion or some other random object to keep your wrist at the right level. Not ideal for fast-paced shooters though, I suppose.

Thinking about it more, a touchpad is almost identical in funtionality to the touchscreen, albeit a little more convenient in the respect that you don't have to worry about your hand blocking your view, and there's less chance of damaging the screen by accident, I guess (which is what screen protectors are for, I guess!). Overall I think dual analog nub control is pretty dandy, but, to each their own; I know I'm not going to be worried about it. :)

Personally, I see the Pandora as, in addition to being a great handheld gaming system and portable computing solution, a possible remote-control development platform for robotics and the like; the gaming controls provide a lot of flexibility that way. That's assuming I can ever figure out wireless protocols and other such technical goodness. Swapping out three of the controls for a touchpad would make the device far less flexible in my mind. :p

Hehe, I played Quake II completely through on my N800 using the screen as touchpad :D
On the left side of the screen is the dpad and the right thumb is used as mouse.
I think it would work best to use a thumb on a touchpad or optical pointer on such a small device instead of a finger, so carpal tunnel syndrome couldn't happen. A very sensitive and small capacitive touchpad on the right side of the device or the aforementioned optical pointer would be ideal.
If I mod something like that, I will make it detachable on the right side of Pandora and add two or three shoulder buttons(maybe even a scroll wheel for changing weapons).

Back