old nub new nub

Could we make it so they dont turn? Id like them to not turn in circles how they currently do
I'm also in the camp that LIKES the rotating behaviour - it allows better movement when the thumb is pressed in the centre and less chance of blisters/irritation on the thumb.

I didn't like the rotation at first, but now I kinda used to it and like it too :)  Sorry Esso :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It kinda disturbs me that the distance between the dpad and buttons is way too small while the nubs can be used perfectly fine. Playing with dpad and buttons feels kinda... unnatural and makes my hands feel uneasy after playing some time, at least without changing the way I'm holding it. Why not trying to get a more natural V-shaped orientation like on most controllers to keep the distance close to that of the nubs?

Could we make it so they dont turn? Id like them to not turn in circles how they currently do
I'm also in the camp that LIKES the rotating behaviour - it allows better movement when the thumb is pressed in the centre and less chance of blisters/irritation on the thumb.
Seems as the new ones need less actuation to get anywhere, if the force to move isnt high it should be problem fixed.

It kinda disturbs me that the distance between the dpad and buttons is way too small while the nubs can be used perfectly fine. Playing with dpad and buttons feels kinda... unnatural and makes my hands feel uneasy after playing some time, at least without changing the way I'm holding it. Why not trying to get a more natural V-shaped orientation like on most controllers to keep the distance close to that of the nubs?
It took me a while to understand what you are getting at - the dpad and buttons are on opposite sides of the unit, so they can hardly be any further apart.  But I guess you mean that they're both too close to the edge, and force you to bend your thumb knuckle to shorten your thumb to get to them if you're gripping the Pandora tightly with your palm.

I do find myself sometimes adjusting my grip so that the Pandora is prevented from slipping when I use the triggers by resting my little fingers on the bottom side, but I can also use the d-pad and buttons with my thumbs bent without problems.  At least it's far better than the d-pad placement on the original 3DS (which I still use in preference to the nub on games like Fire Emblem)

Fair point im sure, however i meant the force needed to move the actual nub.

I have both my thumbs fully extended when using the dpad and abxy buttons, the corner of the pandora rests nicely on the cross section of the bigger thumb muscle. And the nubs position up really nice when thumbs are angled inwards from there.

L and R buttons could me made into buttons situated farther into where there now is nothing for me. To click with the tip of the index finger where its naturally held.

How are you holding it and what is the problem that arises?

It took me a while to understand what you are getting at - the dpad and buttons are on opposite sides of the unit, so they can hardly be any further apart.  But I guess you mean that they're both too close to the edge, and force you to bend your thumb knuckle to shorten your thumb to get to them if you're gripping the Pandora tightly with your palm.
Keep in in your hand like you would use the nubs, then draw a bow with your thumb. The nubs are in perfect range, but the tip of the thumb will be above the dpad and buttons.Moving them further apart would make things just worse, moving them a little bit upwards and/or closer together would already make a huge difference. On the PCB in the video the buttons of the top row above the dpad and buttons have been (re)moved anyway, there would be enough room to do so.

A half cm upwards (that's about half the distance to the bulk for the hinge) would be quite comfortable. That just leaves the question if "normal"-thumbed people would scratch against said bulk with their fingernails, I've got the same massive-but-shorter-tip thumbs as Megan Fox -_-

I already have a few lines etched into my d-pad from my thumb tip where I've evidently been bending my thumb and coming in from pretty much above.

Not as bad as my old DS lite though - those lines were etched into the case around the d-pad. This is just a little classic patination of the d-pad itself, showing it's been well loved.

Is there any testing for the keyboard going on already?

I would love to have every button being a microswitch in a new Pandora.

Although it might not be possible as it would make the board a lot thicker possibly...

How does the keypad in the hp48 work?

It would be great to replicate that if they haven't still got patents on it.

There are tactile switches with actuation force in the range 0.5 .. 1 N, and with a size no bigger than current keys, and only a few millimeters tall. It could be possible to use such switches, although it would no doubt make the keyboard cost a lot more.

http://www.mikroe.com/click/joystick/  they look quite nice!

joystick_click_01.png

I also found this ones: http://www.robotshop.com/en/easypoint-n35p112-joystick-breakout.html did you get a chance to try them too?

if so, did you prefer the Mikrobus ones instead? is the any significant difference other than the price?

These are simply companies that offer the same nub preassembled on their own PCBs. We're not using such a module, we're getting them directly from the original manufacturer as well.

These are simply companies that offer the same nub preassembled on their own PCBs. We're not using such a module, we're getting them directly from the original manufacturer as well.
   okay. it makes total sense. that's ideal to save space on the pyra and money too.

it's so exciting!! im persuading friends to get a pandora while I wait for the pyra haha.

Don't know if I missed it in this thread, but are the new nubs clickable?

Don't know if I missed it in this thread, but are the new nubs clickable?
When they are centered, yes. However, you can't click, say, your left nub when you are using it to run forward.

-God Ginrai

Back