6 face buttons necessary?

segaprophet

The People's Technocratic Republic of Vinnland
The latest mockups that ED has shown include 6 face buttons, which he has said will help mostly with playing arcade fighting games - however, the current design has the two new buttons in a very awkward position crammed between the 4 main buttons and the right analog pad.

This isn't nearly an ideal solution for fighting games, as most people are accustomed to a 6 button layout closer to this -

640px-Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Controller.jpg

It seems to me that the Pyra simply won't have enough real estate to reasonably accommodate a proper 6 button layout without shrinking the buttons (which are already on the small side).

If you really wanted to play 6 button fighting games on your Pyra, you could plug in any number of full sized USB arcade controllers or gamepads. Button 5 and 6 could even be programmed to the keypad if necessary.

If I had my way, I would keep the 2 new shoulder buttons as planned, but scrap the new face buttons, which clutter the already fairly crowded button layout.

IMO, the vast majority of users do not need 6 face buttons. Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been discussed to death.  I don't think we need a new thread.  If GG can't get us something many people are happy with I want to stick with ED's layout.  It may not be ideal but it gives me the option to use those for a variety of stuff (think N64).

This has been discussed to death.  I don't think we need a new thread.  If GG can't get us something many people are happy with I want to stick with ED's layout.  It may not be ideal but it gives me the option to use those for a variety of stuff (think N64).
Even if not for fighting games, there are 31 programmable buttons available on the keypad for any game or emulator.

The Pandora is well known for its complete keyboard, do we really need even more buttons on the front of the Pyra?

if you had a Pandora, you'd know that you don't want to use the keyboard as gaming face buttons. And saying pyras current 6 button layout is crowded is like saying the keyboard is crowded

if you had a Pandora, you'd know that you don't want to use the keyboard as gaming face buttons. And saying pyras current 6 button layout is crowded is like saying the keyboard is crowded
The best reason I can think of for 6 buttons is fighting games - but in their current physical layout, they don't conform even slightly to any other 6 button controller - they would be next to useless for anyone who is used to standard fighting game controls.

People can adapt. It doesn't really matter what configuration the buttons are in, as long as they aren't completely impossible. I'm sure many people play N64 ROMs with an XBOX 360 controller.

Though if it were physically possible, I would much rather have the 6 button SEGA configuration than the currently planned design.

Even if not for fighting games, there are 31 programmable buttons available on the keypad for any game or emulator.

The Pandora is well known for its complete keyboard, do we really need even more buttons on the front of the Pyra?
What DaMummy said.

I don't think the Pandora is well known at all except within a few small communities (retrogamers, mobile linux users, palmtop fans, etc).  I frequently have to explain what it is when I am using it in public.

The best reason I can think of for 6 buttons is fighting games - but in their current physical layout, they don't conform even slightly to any other 6 button controller - they would be next to useless for anyone who is used to standard fighting game controls.
Fighting and arcade games is one good use of 6 face buttons, N64 is another.  Whatever functions they are assigned for use on the desktop is another.

Though if it were physically possible, I would much rather have the 6 button SEGA configuration than the currently planned design.
Same here.

So you'd rather get rid of them entirely? How do you think they get in the way, other than aesthetically?

Heh, Apple says their headphone connection IS the standard.  Who says Sega's or any other console manufacturers' six-button layout is the standard?  Who says you have to put the engine of the car in the front?  Who says Pyra has to follow these "standards"?  That's what makes Pandora and Pyra unique - do stuff our way ;)

So you'd rather get rid of them entirely? How do you think they get in the way, other than aesthetically?
If there is not enough space for 6 full-sized buttons in a traditional layout, I would rather get rid of them. Aesthetics certainly comes into it, but more importantly, they simply aren't justified for the vast majority of user scenarios when the device will already have so many connectivity and input options.

Heh, Apple says their headphone connection IS the standard.  Who says Sega's or any other console manufacturers' six-button layout is the standard?  Who says you have to put the engine of the car in the front?  Who says Pyra has to follow these "standards"?  That's what makes Pandora and Pyra unique - do stuff our way ;)
We could cover every square millimeter of the Pyra in arbitrary buttons, but that won't make it unique, it will simply make it obtuse and needlessly complicated.

We could cover every square millimeter of the Pyra in arbitrary buttons, but that won't make it unique, it will simply make it obtuse and needlessly complicated.
Then get rid of the keyboard :p

Then get rid of the keyboard :p
The keyboard has a distinct function, and is in fact integral to the identity of the Pyra as a full featured portable computer.

An extra two face buttons have no clear purpose outside of a niche interest in portable arcade fighting games and the hazy "more buttons, more options" argument, especially when they clearly can't be integrated properly given the space provided.

ya the keyboard is useless. Switch to the standard of touch screen keyboard. Its not the 00s anymore. Remove usb ports too, nobody uses those in mobile computing

also, where have you used this layout to know its not going to work or be adaptable?

I have to admit, when I first heard that Pyra would have 6 buttons, I was thinking "Yeah, that worked well on the Megadrive". Then I saw the proposed layout, and thought "fuck that, it's awful".

D.

I think the Pandora Home/End/PgUp/PgDn buttons are excellent. Its Ins/Del buttons suck though. I'm glad it will be much improved on the Pyra.

I was somewhat perturbed to see the placement of our 2 new buttons... but I would rather keep them in this layout then do away with them altogether.

I'm sure the vast majority of Pyra users will be using a variety of desktop applications that can make use of those buttons.

It seems to me that a surprisingly small minority will be buying a Pyra purely for gaming. Arguing about the need for those extra buttons purely from a gaming perspective is short sighted.

But they will be useful for gaming too! - so I actually don't get your argument at all.

=~. O =

If there is not enough space for 6 full-sized buttons in a traditional layout, I would rather get rid of them. Aesthetics certainly comes into it, but more importantly, they simply aren't justified for the vast majority of user scenarios when the device will already have so many connectivity and input options.
That's not a real reason. You might think those buttons are totally pointless but if even one person finds them useful then they aren't - and I guarantee you that will be the case. So why remove them?

Back