New Blog Post

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by alerino, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Bosbeetle

Bosbeetle Terminally lost

The OS is working and from day one it was mentioned that the OS was a work in progress. Have you seen the ED OS snippets did that look as not working. I think I talk for most of us as I say that we knew what we were buying and that stuff needs work.

nooo.gif

And working hard is what they are doing! give these guys some credit.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  2. renegadechic

renegadechic Active Member

good lord, i thought there were morons who havent paid attention on this board for a long time and this thread proves it. it has been stated pretty much forever that the OS would be something that needed tinkering and improving post release from the word go. when it was originally up for pre-order and all through the last year or so. i dont know where all these users who suddenly want 100% instant operability have come from because i recognise loads of the names and theyve been around long enough to know better. and i dare say they do know better they just choose to ignore it. you might as well be saying "well why doesnt it run windows" now because thats pretty much the level of off the shelf you are looking for. some people really had absolutely no idea what they were buying. i think they saw a lot of mHz got a geek hardon and put money down without thinking.

3. Bosbeetle

Bosbeetle Terminally lost

static.gif

Attached Files:

4. mali

mali -

^This :)

5. zounder1

zounder1 Still Fresh

Sheesh, does anyone remember how crap-didly-appy Apple iPhone OS 1.0 was in a lot of ways? Or the slew of problems with iPhone OS 2.0 (with a desperate need to go to 2.01 quickly). Even the iPhone OS 3.0 release had some issues for some folks. Apple has made the iPhone leaps and bounds nicer from the day the first model was released. This whole Appstore mania created by Apple did not even exist with the 1.0 release!! It took subsequent upgrades released by Apple to get to one of the defining features of the iPhone.

To be very, very clear. THE FREAKING JESUS-PHONE IPHONE DID NOT RELEASE WITH THE APPSTORE FUNCTIONALITY. The feature did not appear until a FULL YEAR after the release of the first iPhone.

Get a grip with the expectation that everything to be perfect and everything be implemented at release. Apple didn't do it with the iPhone. Sony didn't do it with the PSP. Base functionality with a booting OS is what should be expected at release of the Pandora. (And based on videos seen, we are WAY, WAY, past base functionality in a lot of areas and already moving towards pretty slick.) WiFi functionality is obviously important and it is pretty obvious that the powers-that-be fully understand how important it it and will make it a priority.

6. MonkeyChops

MonkeyChops NO! I don't play basketball

I instantly though of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1yfVKsB8wU#t=01m23s
    and of MWeston singing it to the naysayers and I laughed.

sorry, carry on...

7. mali

mali -

[​IMG]

8. Consequence_9

Consequence_9 have you realized that rock stars always seem to l

[​IMG]

9. kingoddball

kingoddball Mr. Awesome!

Correct.
    I dare say he is referring to my last post.
    It was NOT an attack, it was a question - Maybe it was worded too harsh!

$400 (conversion rate) for a device is dammed expensive. It should be running great when it's received.

10. alerino

alerino Well-Known Member

let's trust the devs... it will be superb, no doubt about it

11. Dead1nside

Dead1nside Well-Known Member

Most of the devs, I believe, that are working on the OS are not being paid for their work. I'm so grateful to everyone who's worked on this - all of you. I'm sorry if you don't feel appreciated.

12. peca

peca Member

@ED: S-Video out question - Can I get full 576p25 out (720 x 576 pixels progresive scan) or even 800x600? It will be good enough for productivity. I mean for connecting to PC monitor and making a desktop session.

EDIT: I know that I possessed with those "productivity" things. But time flying and I looking for as much answers as I can get. :)

Anyway, good work. I'm with You all (You all devs) and get some sleep, as You collapse is not helping.

13. bradleyb01

bradleyb01 Still Fresh

I am looking forward to the OS as is. I remember just a couple of years ago getting Ubuntu 8.04 running on my HP tablet with native drivers for WiFi and the touchscreen took a couple of weeks and several posts on Ubuntu help, but when it all was working 100%, I had alot personally invested in making it the machine that I wanted and liked it all the more for the experience. I can go on about compiling linux in the 90's and even getting stoopid *&$$ DOS games working in the late 80's/early 90's, but you get my point. This is part of the fun of a project like this.

Progress is made incrementally and rarely does everything work 100% straight out of the box.

Thanks for all of your effort, devs. :)

14. davidgro

davidgro Member

Actually... 1.0 firmwares, even from the big players are often not as functional as one would like, then they get better. Seriously, the first thing I do when I get a device like a router, media player, or even cellphone (Not even smartphone!) is check online to see if there's a firmware update. And usually there is.

For a device like the Pandora, a good comparison would be (once again) Nokia's internet tablets. The OS that came with the first N800s for example didn't support USB host mode. Stereo bluetooth (A2DP) Still requires a kludgey community written solution.

For an even more obvious example, look at videogame consoles. From what I hear the PS3 has a really decent firmware - now remember what the first reviews were like in 2006. The same applies to the 360, and even the Wii (SDHC anyone?)

15. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

You can be sure about that :)
    It's the thing we hope for :D

Sure, it's off by default and you switch it on when you need it.

You haven't been here for long now, have you?
    We're not a ****ing company, we're basically just a bunch of people who have been on this board since years.
    Yes, we've been selling some consoles as owner of small shops, alright. I never made any money out of it (couldn't even make a living from it), it was just for fun.

Basically the MAJOR reason we're a commercial company is that no company will sell you thousands of parts if you're a normal individual. We would've never gotten an OMAP, for instance.
    Still, we're the same people that have been here since years. We didn't have any fundings for this whole project - and from the VERY BEGINNING it was clear that the OS will probably need a lot of tweaks when it's released.
    The OpenMoko (an Open Source TELEPHONE) wasn't even able to make PHONE calls at the beginning.

Sorry for not being a big enough company to have enough cash lying around to pay thousands of dollars per month just to get some coders - don't forget the devboards which are probably about 1500 USD each.
    This would've meant we needed you to pay at least TWICE the money you paid for the device...

Please forget all this commercial company crap as we're definately not some big company. We're us, trying to produce one of the coolest handhelds for you with a bunch of really really really nice and helpful devs!
    And the OS turned out pretty good already-

Besides, ever seen a device with a completely working full OS on first release?
    The PSP had WiFi, yes. But what could you do except for updating the firmware? You didn't have a messenger, browser, networked mediaplayer... nothing.
    The iPhone... yeah, didn't even support Bluetooth headphones. But it was featured of being a phone with an iPod built-in.

People sometimes seem to think we'll do miracles. A device at half of the price that the other devices with the same SoC have, with a perfectly working firmware... and that as a very small company.
    Welcome to Wonderland...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  16. Rathum

Rathum Member

576i50 or 480i59.94 are the maxes for S-Video. Same for composite, too.

Just read into S-Video and, oddly enough, it was made for S-VHS. :blink:

17. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Yep, that's why we call it SVHS here in Germany instead of S-Video. That's the reason I confused it ;)

It's not that odd: SVHS recorded Y and C divided. Same as the SVideo :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  18. alerino

alerino Well-Known Member

and allow me to add, it is really rare to find a high quality device that has been built mostly based on ideas and suggestions by forum members. I'm almost crying here... :D

19. r00tw00t

r00tw00t Member

All new devices have childhood diseases and the OS is not a problem. It works, the only thing that doesnt work is wifi. Its okay. It can and will be fixed.

The REAL problem is that we still haven't got our Pandoras. Any other problems comes in second imho.

So pretty please ED, Craig, Mweston, Faith etc etc. Can we have them soon?

20. Paradox

Paradox oh em gee

No offence but whether you are a huge company or not you've got paying customers who are going to expect working OS on their handheld.. it's even been delayed like what at least a year? more? and WiFi still doesn't work properly or something, which was one of the bigger draws to it?

I actually considered not posting this incase I would be threatened with an order cancellation or something but whatever.