New Blog Post

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by alerino, Feb 24, 2010.

1. gaterooze

gaterooze Coltrane Sundia

Ah, I still remember the days of 1200bps... man when 2400bps came along it seemed blindingly fast!

And 1200kbps is as fast as I could utilize it anyway, so that's no worries.

2. TaG

TaG Fau-fau-faulty software.

Silkscreen / no silkscreen

or

Pandora / no Pandora

I'll accept whatever when it's done...

3. emil10001

emil10001 Member

+1

If ALSA broke, I'm pretty sure I could fix it. If pulseaudio broke, I might need to go without sound for a while. <_<

Also, alsamixer isn't working??? If ALSA works, then that should too. Right?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  4. MonkeyChops

MonkeyChops NO! I don't play basketball

We were all kinds of excited when my friend got his Pentium 60 with a 9600 baud modem.

We literally waited 4 days for Heritic to finish downloading. That didn't really seem fast even back then but it was free damn it! We got it from AOL chat rooms.

ahh, memories...

5. urjaman

urjaman "I Know. We're going for a ride."

well... I've once (tried) to write a sound driver and forgot the mixer. No alsamixer for me then :/. And i think we're talking about mixing multiple audio sources in software (the pandora's sound hw doesnt support that, AFAIK), not just adjusting the single output volume (which should be possible in hardware, for which alsamixer should work if drivers are 100%).

6. Nova

Nova Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha

Yeah, definitely want silkscreening on mine.

7. borgqueenx

borgqueenx Very Active Member

Mlre delay. Silkscreening picture will took longer then exptected i can tell you right now.
    Second, im glad you forget about silkscreening if it doesnt look good.

I still expect many delays.

Im a year into the pandora scene now.
    And in one and a half month i preordered 365 days ago.... :(
    and in 19 days, i have grown a year older...i hope i got my pandora then.

Sigh.

Sigh.

Sigh.

Sigh.

Thats all i can tell about the project now...

8. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

Alsamixer is just volume control.
    The problem (as I understand it) is what happens when you have two audio sources that want to output at the same time. It's an "easy" problem (just add the two sources together) with a lot of difficult quirks that can get in the way. I would wager it's one of those problems that is easy to solve just as soon as someone with the right skill set sits down and looks at it for a couple of hours, but finding a person with the time to do so is probably not easy right now.

9. mindlord

mindlord Notices Two Things

This problem is why PulseAudio exists in the first place. To my knowledge ALSA doesn't support source mixing. Once an application has control of the sound system it's it up to that program to play nice and do the mixing itself. Most games and applications do not do this, and thus hog the soundsystem.

PulseAudio plays the intermediary and allows programs not to have to worry about playing nice.

10. droneb

droneb Very Active Member

OMG, how many times this issue has been talked.

my opinion is just send em all with silkscreen if you dont like it wipe it off!

more people of the comunity would be happy.

if you dont like it just wipe it off.

btw i want mine with silkscreen. please?

11. intense_mc

intense_mc Still Fresh

Anybody?

12. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

Yes, but Pulse also brought a lot more to the table. It solves the one problem and then creates a giant mess of it's own. They (whomever it was that came up with Pulse) should have come out with some sort of Pulse compatible "miniPulse", something that does nothing but act as the intermediary, but is still input-compatible with Pulse. That would be swell.

13. quote

quote dwarf shortage

What? OP are thinking of cancelling the silk screening?
    Damn, I feel sorry for you guys!

:(

14. roberthoward45

roberthoward45 Still Fresh

as long as i get my pandora soon silkscreen wont make a huge difference either way

15. kingoddball

kingoddball Mr. Awesome!

@ ED and OS Devs:

Why is there no hardware acceleration for movies?
    You have had the device (dev boards, etc) for what.... Two years?

You said it works - but it's just odd that two years on and you have not got the hardware working for media (movies).
    It's the DaVinci chip?

WIFI is more understandable, but the media side of things is a big seller.

16. lulzfish

lulzfish Pandora Defense Squad

I thought ALSA ran something called dmix that did mixing automatically?
    To be honest, I don't know jack about their APIs but I've always had mixing on my ALSA setups.

17. MWeston

MWeston Internal Development

Some of you people need to stop shitting on the devs who have actually stuck around this project for two years taking time away from their wives, girlfriends and families to help out, not to mention any relaxation time away from their full time day jobs. All for free and for a few dev boards to play with...

There are accelerated media players in existence for OMAP3 already but I believe they use the DSP which is another major task of coding that hasn't been a priority. Once other things are stable and more customers who want to code get their units, perhaps these things will happen quickly.

18. urjaman

urjaman "I Know. We're going for a ride."

Yeah, but that doesnt come automagically == they need to setup dmix. Most recent PC audio hw can mix many sources of audio in hw, so that is rarely needed. I have a Gigabyte GA-6ZMA motherboard that has integrated audio that (a quirky one IMO) can mix two sources but no more, OTOH it has sliders PCM 1 and PCM 2 in alsamixer - allowing per-application tuning :p.

19. Bosbeetle

Bosbeetle Terminally lost

^^ This

It is getting worse and worse here. I thought it was one of the nicest and politest forums around when I joined. And indeed people always seemed helpful and mostly ontopic. Now it seems to turn in to more and more into a race who can point out weaknesses of the project (nothing wrong with that) and then blaming somebody for it (really incredibly wrong from a community standpoint) Please stop blaming something, if you can help, offer it. If you can find sources that might be interesting please do. If you want to point fingers please point them at your self or at the off button of your PC.

It make me sad seeing this happening. And even more sad that I am probably part of it since I have nothing to contribute except a lot of interest in the project.

20. Pleng

Pleng Very Active Member

I dont know who MWeston is referring to but, to be honest, OP Are a company providing a device. The owner of a device expects a working OS.

Nobody as far as I can see is ****ing on the community; they're ****ing on the OP team for simply expecting other people to develop the OS for them. Support in OS development in an OS system should always be appreciated, but not expected - especially if you are a commercial company.