New Blog Post

Paradox is just awful, isn't he/she?

If I'm honest, I was expecting the Pandora to be fairly polished upon release. But having lurked on these forums since I preordered, I must say I'm happy with where the Pandora is today. I have learnt a hell of a lot reading these forums, about ARM and linux and all the stuff about porting and emulation. If the Pandora was polished upon release, I wouldn't have anywhere else to go with learning about it, as it'd all just work. I am very happy to know that it's a little rough, as now I be poking around with the inner workings of the software to get things patched up or working, which is what I'm looking forward to, as well as all the applications and games I'll run on it.

My N900 (Hopefully when if I can get one in April) will be my polished it-just-works device, which I will refrain from fiddling with too much, and I'll concentrate on doing what I can do to the Pandora.

Also no silkscreen plix, I really like the stealthy looks of it without!

there are many tipes of silkscreening with what you can do with it. i just hope they dont do the one where they cover the entire case in a silicon/ ruber type thing cus that stuff wears out. but it they can do it so its plastic and is like the psp shineyness they i am all ftw but it wud make the tiny scratchs more visable.

ED,

Everyone who wants to help us can do so. There will be a bugtracker for reporting any issues. The complete system is already available via GIT to all devs, so patches and bugfixes can basically be sent to us by everyone :)

I'm looking forward to getting the Pandora and start hacking at things that I'm interested in. But to send you patches and following things real-time there'll need to be a mailing list -- a forum isn't good enough for that. Will there be a mailing list? Discussing patches, forwarding git-format-patch - generated diffs for review and possibly incorporated by real devs (git-am). Etc.

Tor said:
ED,

Everyone who wants to help us can do so. There will be a bugtracker for reporting any issues. The complete system is already available via GIT to all devs, so patches and bugfixes can basically be sent to us by everyone :)

I'm looking forward to getting the Pandora and start hacking at things that I'm interested in. But to send you patches and following things real-time there'll need to be a mailing list -- a forum isn't good enough for that. Will there be a mailing list? Discussing patches, forwarding git-format-patch - generated diffs for review and possibly incorporated by real devs (git-am). Etc.

We've got a git and an internal mailing list already, we can set up whatever we want, I'm the server admin. Don't know too much about coding, so I don't know what is needed. I just setup what the devs tell me to setup :D

And, as someone discovered, a bug tracker ;)
That wasn't public yet, but I've got no problem if you guys want to take a look there.
Just don't post it to some blog, as it might be spammed to death (everyone can register and post comments at the moment ;))

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
That wasn't public yet, but I've got no problem if you guys want to take a look there.
Just don't post it to some blog, as it might be spammed to death (everyone can register and post comments at the moment ;) )
Sorry if that was to be some secret. It was in the topic of #openpandora @freenode ...

Last edited by a moderator:
urjaman said:
EvilDragon said:
Just don't post it to some blog, as it might be spammed to death (everyone can register and post comments at the moment ;) )
Sorry if that was to be some secret. It was in the topic of #openpandora @freenode ...

No prob with that :) You forum guys can read it, as you know what to expect and what not :)
Just posting it somewhere where the press could catch it might be hazardous :D

Looking at the bug list, it sounds like most things are broken ;)
But a lot are just minor to-do issues :)

Last edited:
ED:
I think you guys should focus on getting rid of as many minor issues as possible. That way the Pandora will seem more solid and people will be less bothered about WiFi etc not fully working from day 1. It also helps on focusing on the bigger issues when the smaller ones no longer exists. Having minor issues can also be an energy drainer for developers, just knowing they exist.

kevin J said:
mitosis said:
I really hope there is a silkscreen... it's just so awesome!

+++! on the Silk Screen... it just looks more polished. I say whatever state the silkscreen is in, just apply it & ship it out.

Either make it perfect or leave it out (also perfect).

Someone tried to be funny at bugs.openpandora.org:

http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=58

The whole ALSA/software mixing thing upsets me. I dislike ALSA almost as much as I dislike PulseAudio, and if that's what ends up being used I'm going to be pretty unhappy. I wish Pandora would have been OSSv4 from day one; with a fixed platform where you can get the audio drivers right for it I can't think of a single reason why you wouldn't prefer this, especially where you don't have a lot of performance to burn and low latency is an important requirement.

Now it's probably too late to change it. I wish I was more vocal about it a year ago, not that it would have made a difference.

r00tw00t said:
Someone tried to be funny at bugs.openpandora.org:

http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=58
The only problem is, those in a position to fix it can't reproduce the bug. :p
(on account of the Pandora has "shipped" to them) ;)

By the way, it has been stated that cases production starts (presumably) on Monday so... are we waiting for an initial 1000 or 2000 cases shipping in order to speed up the process (as planned previously) or do we have to wait until the whole 10000 are finished?

Khan said:
By the way, it has been stated that cases production starts (presumably) on Monday so... are we waiting for an initial 1000 or 2000 cases shipping in order to speed up the process (as planned previously) or do we have to wait until the whole 10000 are finished?
I presume your first premonition is correct.

Khan said:
You misread, Production of another sample to check the silk screening starts Monday. Full-tilt mass production won't start until the decide to scrap the silkscreening altogether or keep it like it is on the sample.

mindlord said:
Khan said:
You misread, Production of another sample to check the silk screening starts Monday. Full-tilt mass production won't start until the decide to scrap the silkscreening altogether or keep it like it is on the sample.

Um, what?! Where did you get that from? I can't believe there will be another delay because of some fcking silk screen?!?!?! and a new sample for that.... shit i dont know if i should cry or laugh.

mindlord said:
Khan said:

I think you misheared, the cases are being produced and silkscreening is another step in production. so one of the naked cases is silkscreened and photographed while the others are produced while that happens. If it looks good, all are silkscreened.
Or did I get something completely wrong?

Edit: Photographed, not shipped ;-)

Back