New Blog Post

mali said:
RenegadeChic said:
if its that ****ing easy why dont you do it whizz kid? if it was straightforward it would be done.
What's your order number?
step into my office, i'll write it down for you :p

Last edited by a moderator:
wuwtk said:
Thanks for the constant updates Ed, Its truly appreciated to have the constant updates and complete honesty about the Pandora. I cant wait to get my Pandora and Ill be waiting patiently to get wifi working to have easier tethering with my Droid. ;)

+1

and -1 for all the criticism - let's just get the thing out and then fix the OS issues

RenegadeChic said:
i still dont know why you havent reordered from this batch yet
As it looks like, I don't need to hurry :p
Besides that, I'd like one with umlauts and I hope other layouts will be available for the second batch :)
Alerino said:
Go, Mali, buy one right ****ing now!!! You deserve it, buddy! Just don't ask me to lend you some money, i'm broken
I'll PM you my paypal info, just in case :)

Is there any chance of applying some of those development fund $$$$ to the WiFi?

Sorry - I had just noticed that there are two threads on this same conversation. Posting the same thing to both probably isn't cool - so I'm moving my plea to this (main) one.

In my very humble opinion, the skills needed to write a proper SDIO driver that is friendly to both the slots -and- the 802.11g isn't something that is grown on trees or learned in a week or two scouring the web. Hiring someone with the right skill set for the job - or supplying a bounty to it - 'might' get it the attention it needs. Whether that is DJWillis or bringing someone like Dmitry Ginberg http://palmsdhc.blogspot.com/ onto the project might help.

I think that the work done so far has been amazing, but I also think that the SDIO network driver is something that will likely need an expert's touch. Waiting around for an altruistic super-hacker to stroll in and write one for us all for free within the next couple of weeks might be putting too much faith in fairy tales. Sure, it could happen - but holding your breath is ill advised.

So, are there developer fund $$$$ available? If so, how could this project not merit using them?

craigix said:
RenegadeChic said:
if its that ****ing easy why dont you do it whizz kid? if it was straightforward it would be done.

Would you like a drink?
sure would

actually, post delivery, id like to share a couple for real with you and any other available preorderers

BTW: MPEG-4 works with 15% CPU usage using hardware DSPs on the beagleboard:

http://felipec.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/new-project-gst-dsp-with-beagleboard-demo-image/

The DSPs use Kernel 2.6.32 for the moment, we're at 2.6.28. And we will NOT switch to a newer kernel before release - such things can be done afterwards :)

EvilDragon said:
We're not a ****ing company, we're basically just a bunch of people who have been on this board since years.
Yes, we've been selling some consoles as owner of small shops, alright. I never made any money out of it (couldn't even make a living from it), it was just for fun.

Basically the MAJOR reason we're a commercial company is that no company will sell you thousands of parts if you're a normal individual. We would've never gotten an OMAP, for instance.
Still, we're the same people that have been here since years. We didn't have any fundings for this whole project - and from the VERY BEGINNING it was clear that the OS will probably need a lot of tweaks when it's released.

Sorry for not being a big enough company to have enough cash lying around to pay thousands of dollars per month just to get some coders - don't forget the devboards which are probably about 1500 USD each.

This. We might bitch and moan about people and their posts. We bitch and moan about deadlines.

But always remember one simple thing:

Evil Dragon has LONG HAIR and that is what you're all really jealous of.

D.

EvilDragon said:
BTW: MPEG-4 works with 15% CPU usage using hardware DSPs on the beagleboard:

http://felipec.wordp...ard-demo-image/

The DSPs use Kernel 2.6.32 for the moment, we're at 2.6.28. And we will NOT switch to a newer kernel before release - such things can be done afterwards :)

I'm curious about this one. I have about 50 films ripped from dvds and encoded as h.264 mkv files. Will these work, since they are dvd resolution? Was it just HD h.264 resolution videos? Are you using the NEON accelerated mplayer? (I am just curious.)

Thanks for all the updates ED! :D

emil10001 said:
I'm curious about this one. I have about 50 films ripped from dvds and encoded as h.264 mkv files. Will these work, since they are dvd resolution? Was it just HD h.264 resolution videos? Are you using the NEON accelerated mplayer? (I am just curious.)

Thanks for all the updates ED! :D
eventually, but not yet :)

EvilDragon said:
I upgraded to 2.6.31 and ALL MY PROBLEMS DISAPPEARED! Seriously, my BeagleBoard has been running for 8 days solid with no crashes, no USB outages, no memory leaks, and certainly no WiFi droppi<carrier disconnected>

unfortunately you can't make everyone happy all the time

A couple months from now, there will some moaning about this that and the other

But things will have moved on and we should see things being more polished

for me h264 playback was a biggie, but I can wait, even try an code some stuff to try and make it work

It's not understanding the open nature of the project which will make some feel more angry than others

It'll get their

Sphinxter said:
Maybe if this had been open and a bug system created and available, posted ever since the boards were finished there would be fewer complaints and unreasonable expectations now.
You know there is http://bugs.openpandora.org/ ...

mitosis said:
I really hope there is a silkscreen... it's just so awesome!

+++! on the Silk Screen... it just looks more polished. I say whatever state the silkscreen is in, just apply it & ship it out.

Back