New Blog Post!

MWeston said:
So something I said over a month ago doesn't match something I was told a day ago. I must be a liar then. I think it's best I follow ED's lead. See you on the other side.

No, no. I didn't mean it like that at all. I believe that you tell it to us as you know it. I'd more meant it as a "I'd be very interested to hear what they say about this, if you asked them." I just don't understand how the case factory can go from "Of course we do that here" to "No, we have to ship those offsite to do it", and back to "Yeah, we do that here".

I guess it's just one more feather in the hat of "why we shouldn't trust the case factory's time estimates" lies.

Ha. Ninjaed by a Grue. Silly refresh losing my post. (and my edit... stupid computer needs rebooting.)

PS. ED and MWeston - Please don't leave us all alone in here with craigix. You know how we all feel about his one-liners! /me ducks.

Last edited by a moderator:
ED and MWeston - Please don't leave us all alone

+1

Guys, please dont go.

Things will really descend into chaos if you guys dont post until it ships. I think its quite clear that Benji didnt mean to offend or call you a liar. I'm pretty confident that no one here thinks you're a liar.

Your posts are far too invaluable to the lurkers/positive posters. We're blind without you.

I'll probably what Pandora-Owners will tell their kids:

"Either you go to bed NOW or Craigix will come and tell you a one-liner!" ("...and he wont take 2 months!")

Am I the only one who likes craigixs take on things?

It don't take long for s*** to get to you, and maybe craigixs was the first to snap, but it hasn't took long for the rest of OP to follow suit. Why? because 4000 of us nutters cross referencing everything they say.

You have to admit with the way they've been treated it did come off that way. I mean why even bring up what was said originally? Frankly the time line quotes from the chinese factory change every other day anyway, and it could either be because they want to milk OP or because they have other higher ranking customers that bump OP down the priority list and they just dont want to tell them. When ever a company takes one more than one project at a time there's always a chance that the more important client is going to create a drain on resources that screws the less important one. But suddenly they're bending over backwards to please these days and probably screwing someone else over in our favor.

Even if the paint does add a layer of thickness, around the essential areas it can just be filed/sanded down a little by the assembly team, no?

benji_stein said:
I just don't understand how the case factory can go from "Of course we do that here" to "No, we have to ship those offsite to do it", and back to "Yeah, we do that here".
The painting is done at a different company. The silk screening is probably also done there too. It doesn't seem too hard to imagine a painting company does printing too.

torpor said:
Even if the paint does add a layer of thickness, around the essential areas it can just be filed/sanded down a little by the assembly team, no?

It could I'm sure(sanded that is). But from my experience they mask of the areas to save paint and make a better product

@Gruso

Awesome post! :)

So to make it clear and prevent speculation, the new info means we wait till the 20th now and expect painted cases, correct me if I'm wrong.

Spraying a layer of paint on the exterior of the case would require less pin point accuracy than tiny 3cm tall printing that requires legibility. Knowing that it's not lead based paint and that it doesn't cause a difficulty when placing the PCB inside is an easier approval process then seeing if the BT logo actually looks correct and isnt sitting at an angle and asking them to keep redoing it until it is right. Even if the case paint rubs off a little in the future it's less of an issue being black on black than if the silk screening rubs off.

Alpha2 said:
Spraying a layer of paint on the exterior of the case would require less pin point accuracy than tiny 3cm tall printing that requires legibility. Knowing that it's not lead based paint and that it doesn't cause a difficulty when placing the PCB inside is an easier approval process then seeing if the BT logo actually looks correct and isnt sitting at an angle and asking them to keep redoing it until it is right. Even if the case paint rubs off a little in the future it's less of an issue being black on black than if the silk screening rubs off.

I think they would use powder coating rather than spay but I may be wrong

I want no paint. Like, I seriously want no paint. I am painting my pandora myself, I do not want the extra step of sanding off questionable quality paint. :p

^ It's not easy to paint plastic, so it might actually be good to have it primed already. You should ask them which paint they used and select a compatible paint to cover it.

benji_stein said:
ED and MWeston - Please don't leave us all alone in here with craigix.
creepycraig.png

MWeston said:
A very important detail they told Fatih last night was that the paint is only applied to the outside of the case so all internal tolerances are unaffected which is great! That was my main concern anyway. My next concern was to make sure they don't paint inside the hinge hump edges so that when the lid is installed, it won't scrape back and forth.
Don't forget about shoulder buttons - hinge and top side which slide under edge of the case.

Back