Micro Pyra news from the.. dragons mouth

Pyra is a retro device. 32 bits is too much already... My intention is to set mine up then never upgrade. Ever. This means it will be stable and never slow down. I already have a few Linux boxen with ~20 year old kernels and they have basically not aged.

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but I feel a little guilty that I was posting for Rockchip. The ddr.bin blob stays unsolved (not replaced with free software yet) and now someone has discovered a memory gap Speculation is ddr.bin causes the memory gap, but Rockchip hasn't explained yet what it is for... This is for RK3588, not the new CPU board model, but still odd. [thread1, thread2]

Then let's set up a bounty to develop an open source implementation for the blob :cool:
However, I have no idea if something like that is possible, even with reverse engineering (theoretically maybe yes, but practically)...

Last edited:
Pyra is a retro device. 32 bits is too much already... My intention is to set mine up then never upgrade. Ever. This means it will be stable and never slow down.
This sounds like something that should better be obeyed with Windows machines ;)
I mean one part of the magic of linux is that you can run current software on very old devices.

I have a different Opinion: The Pyra is not a Retro Device, but a Future Prov Mini Handheld Computer, and as everything becomes Retro soon or later, its quite usefull for it to get faster over time whit new CPU Boards, when the Pandora was up, the DS and the PSP where not that long ago, and i can remember that i played still PS2 not long ago then, so emulating them was not neccesarry..

Next Year, the PSP is 10 Years allready out of marked, so whe can call it also Retro now, ..

So to accomunate this fact, that whe will get new Retro System that will be cool to Emulate, the Pyra CPU will have to evolve over the next few 2 Months (tm) Cycles..
Also the Pyra is meant to be long time Service, so if i will get burry whit my Pyra in hopefully more than 100 Years, i dont think i want it to be still 2 x 1,3 ghz Omap5

Always fresh from Colonel Kernel
image(1).jpg

Last edited:
One the one hand I like 32-bit ARM, on the other hand I also like having a chip that is capable of suspend-to-ram and more speed for less heat is always better. Hopefully the new chip, if it comes, does not contain something like the IME.

At the moment i more likely play whit Steamdeck and Analogue Pocket then whit Pyra, at least at home, they booth got a suspend to ram, so they dont need to get full booted..
more power and less heat is also something that will be awesome
expecially as the Batterie Power Management Chip prevents you from charging the Pyra when its too hot..
When you want work on it, you need to clock it down a bit if you want it to run from Micro USB Power..

i just tried to reconfigure retropie to swap A/B and it STARTED DOWNLOADING PACKAGES. what the fuck. i have sworn never to upgrade retropie so it will always just work. I don´t need any new packages so there is only downside. I´m reverting to my last disk image. never upgrade ever. I trust pyra will never do this sneaky upgrading. so fucked up.

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
Pyra is a retro device. 32 bits is too much already... My intention is to set mine up then never upgrade. Ever. This means it will be stable and never slow down. I already have a few Linux boxen with ~20 year old kernels and they have basically not aged.

If you don't connect it to internet, you could be ok.

Aaaand here you go :)

Here are pictures of the new Copper color and the silky smooth matte black.

These are just quick test samples (the parts haven't been properly cleaned) which is why you can see some dust speckles in some areas, that won't happen with the final cases, of course.
These look lovely! Is that issue with the lack of a gap causing the battery to overheat fixed? I still need to replace my original case that has that problem, once the fixed ones are ready.

Back