Micro Pyra news from the.. dragons mouth

Yeah the copper is kind of exotic, I like it. A good balance - not too colourful and sparkly.

Hard to tell for me, but the copper indeed looks unique yet flashy, and the matte black could be quite sexy.

But, they both look dead and hollow without the beating heart of a Pyra inside of them, and to put some colour in their cheeks.

Last edited:
You can give it a nice copper paste finish and wait until the device turns green. Then turn it on, apply latest updates and voilà, AESS, HDMI output and engery saving mode is working!

Last edited:
The copper looks better than I expected. It reminds me of bullion. It is also quite unique. I have a lot of ultra portable computers and black is a common colour among them but none of them are copper.

But can I get a real copper one? Copper would make the Pyra a better investment than painted plastic would. If making it of pure gold is easier than that is OK with me too.

I'm totally in for the copper case, I hope I can get one even if I specified I wanted black when we were asked during the color survey in 2020!

So, how many pyras got shipped already?
Will the first batch maybe finished in Q2 2023?

Yes, the first batch hopefully should, but we still don't know whether we should continue with the OMAP5 for the time being or choose a more recent SoC for the second batch...

Around 250 units should be out in the wild now.

But if you deceide to continue whit the new Board, this would mean a nother 2 Months (tm) for the remaining Preeorders whitouth Pyra
Found the Omap5 at least usuable..

Yes, the first batch hopefully should, but we still don't know whether we should continue with the OMAP5 for the time being or choose a more recent SoC for the second batch...

What will happen with the remaining OMAP5 boards if you switch to another SOC already?
Maybe build them in a Pyra Lite later for a cheaper price?
I'm quite fond with the current state of the OMAP5 Pyra and if AESS will work in the future, it's an almost perfect device IMHO :)

Last edited:
What will happen with the remaining OMAP5 boards if you switch to another SOC already?
Maybe build them in a Pyra Lite later for a cheaper price?
I'm quite fond with the current state of the OMAP5 Pyra and if AESS will work in the future, it's an almost perfect device IMHO :)
EvilDragon would likely be able to ship all current orders in the time it takes to plan out, develop, produce, debug and test the next CPU board.

I think that the 64 bit OS would have many more benefits in terms of compatibility. E.g. flathub does not provide ARM 32 bit images any more and also docker images with 32 bits are getting more rare. Using a Rockchip might lead to some synergies with the Pine64 community that does usually provide excellent support for their SOCs

So the issues whe have are currently only because Omap5, and AESS and Ram Timings are stuff that will stay on the CPU Board whe pull out when whe move over to Rockship and they are then only a Collectors Item for the Vitrine?

By the Way: The Internal Storage, was it also part of the CPU Board or is it elsewhere locatet? , i think when whe change the CPU Board whe have anyway to flash the New Debian64, and this is not that difficult, ..

So the issues whe have are currently only because Omap5, and AESS and Ram Timings are stuff that will stay on the CPU Board whe pull out when whe move over to Rockship and they are then only a Collectors Item for the Vitrine?
Yes, all these issues will be gone.
However, as I already mentioned in another thread, it would be sad to not use the OMAP5 Pyra anymore. When the new CPU board is ready (or the pre-orders start), I think I will buy a whole new device so I can still use the old Pyra. Since there are no other OMAP5 devices available on the consumer market, it's just a too unique gadget to not use it anymore!
And if AESS really works someday, maybe I don't need a Rockchip Pyra that bad...

Last edited:

By the Way: The Internal Storage, was it also part of the CPU Board or is it elsewhere locatet? , i think when whe change the CPU Board whe have anyway to flash the New Debian64, and this is not that difficult, ..
Yes the internal storage is on the CPU board as well, but yeah it would require a different OS install anyway. So no big deal.

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but I feel a little guilty that I was posting for Rockchip. The ddr.bin blob stays unsolved (not replaced with free software yet) and now someone has discovered a memory gap Speculation is ddr.bin causes the memory gap, but Rockchip hasn't explained yet what it is for... This is for RK3588, not the new CPU board model, but still odd. [thread1, thread2]

Back