Just a quick heads up

And Nikolaustag was the day before yesterday :| I guess the bishop from Myra brought no Pyra to anyone yet. Let's hope it's not much more longer and the team can leave a milestone behind.

“I would make sending email illegal, unless done by and through trusted parties like Microsoft and Google. Only those. If you want to be in that list, you need to pay, a lot. It is allowed to embed commercials in these new mail viewers (before you can read your email, and just before sending (if you minimize your mail client before the commercial is done, you need to watch another one (for example, one that is 5 minutes long, as a light punishment) before we display the "send" button.”
@FBnil why’d you delete this? I thought it rather witty! (Though equally apt)

“I would make sending email illegal, unless done by and through trusted parties like Microsoft and Google. Only those. If you want to be in that list, you need to pay, a lot. It is allowed to embed commercials in these new mail viewers (before you can read your email, and just before sending (if you minimize your mail client before the commercial is done, you need to watch another one (for example, one that is 5 minutes long, as a light punishment) before we display the "send" button.”
@FBnil why’d you delete this? I thought it rather witty! (Though equally apt)
Oh, so this must be the precursor to the "drink verification can" scenario...

He also wrote something in the Thread of a Different Handheld, ..

I dont know why i mean i still have the Pandora, and i rediscovered the Joy of Gameboy Retro Gaming, whit my 2 kg Cardridges Tuberware Box, so for me, but i would just like to know whats currently the status..

My Pants tells that i like to have everything whit me, so also the Pyra is allready a Part of my EDC that i miss ^^

He was upgrading them (the forum, not the Pyras) yesterday. I just noticed the comment box here is slightly different.
Yeah + maybe fixing a bug? Last night I had a problem viewing any thread:

Attachments

• E0951B94-A245-4A84-887A-570EFCDC6BFC.png
    E0951B94-A245-4A84-887A-570EFCDC6BFC.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 134
OK, while no new news from Ingolstadt, here are some from Brussels/Strasbourg:

New European Parliament Motion on the repairability, upgradability, etc. of products in the internal market. This is only the (toothless without legislative initiative) European Parliament asking the European Comission pretty please to change legislation in order to require vendors to state foreseable lifespan and repairability of the devices they sell. If this ever would come to law, then it would be some pressure for the other devices to be a little more like the Pyra. And maybe ED would get some obligation to standarise labelling or something.

This sounds good but it depends on how it is enacted, what when part/all of the maintenance is by a comunnity outside the vendor ? Should publication as free software be considered good enough service in allowing customers to help themselves ?

I don't like that. People should own their tools (as few and generic as possible) and don't keep depending on companies for everything, and constantly leaking data. But I also understand renting a car occasionally is better than everyone having their own.

What would this mean ?

I personally hope that there won't ever be legislation to regulate this. It would be just one more law that adds complexity for small companies like evil dragons, while all major companies will find a way arround that. I tried to get a product to market in germany before Corona. This is no fun at all! Since 01.2020 you have to certify every single piece of paper, every leaflet, your cardbox, electronics, plastics and so on with something called a dual system in germany to make sure the manufacturer pays for the recycling. I don't know why I would have to pay for the recycling of paper, paper is still very valuable, even as garbage and more than pays for its recycling itself. Every little piece of legislation adds up to this huge pile of ****.
Large companies have the resources to deal with this and small companies tend to just give up at one point.

I'd have thought the repairable and screwable nature of the pyra as is would exceed that any legislation of what any cheap clipped plastic equipment would need. But you warnings are heeded, there's always the risk that legislation will hit you when you thought it would hit your enemies.

I'd have thought the repairable and screwable nature of the pyra as is would exceed that any legislation of what any cheap clipped plastic equipment would need. But you warnings are heeded, there's always the risk that legislation will hit you when you thought it would hit your enemies.
Don't forget, They have lobby, we don't. We certainly won't reach any authority with our complains if there are any. Most Ideas start out good and turn evil and hollow later (for example german Verpackungsverordnung -> read spoiler).
Recycling itself is not a bad thing, but If you need to bring your plastic garbage to a facility that gathers that stuff and burn 1l of fuel doing so, you could most probably have thrown that stuff in the trash can and get it burned by waste combustion. It ends up with the same CO2 footprint (as long as you have a petrol car at least). You could eventually use better recycling technique to reduce the energy consumption of the recycling plants (not just crack that stuff and start all over again, but reuse it directly) to change the situation, but for that in order to work, you have to clean and sort all the trash according to material and probably color, which is difficult and rather costly and most easy todo for something like PET bottles and PE bottles (thats why every person that sells something containing plasic has to pay in advance for the proper recycling). A way better start would be to get rid of raw oil as source completely and change to a plastic material that can be created by just CO2, water and energy or at least biological resources that are renewable (would have the positive side effect of plastics getting much more expensive -> recycling pays for itself then -> no need for Verpackungsverordnung). That will be necessary in the next 30 years anyways since the government decided to get clima neutral in 2050, whatever that means ... it will most probably be a hollow thing as everytime, since they plan to use CO2 certificates to reach a quasi CO2 neutral state, but in my opinion, planting trees cannot compensate for burning oil or coal, cause it will take the trees millions of years to become cole again. You would actually have to burry the wood where you extracted the coal/oil, but thats something that will just not happen. They rather fill up that cole pit with water and drive arround on it with petrol boats :D. But enough poison for this spoiler ;)
40-50 years ago, almost anything could be repaired, you even got the schematics right with the manual. Nowadays you can read the manual saying "No user servicable parts inside" even for the most simple apparatus.
In my opinion the problem is not legislation, but people buying that crap. This community is a good start to show the world, that there is a different way, so I support it.

The problem is not only in electronics. Nobody is sewing. My mother wanted to redo her curtains. The materials cost more than a new curtain, and is already "ready". This is because there is nobody sewing, so there is no market, so high prices due to low volume.
I dropped my camera, the lens zoom (when turned on, the lens comes out) died. Repair was 50 euro more expensive than a new camera.
Bike pumps have a rubber seal, which, due to up/down motion degrades in about 10 years of use. The rest is metal and is ok. It's impossible to find rubber seals. Had to buy a new pump.

The problem is not only in the "do not repair", where all screws are "special" (like triangular screws) and require special screwdrivers to service, but also in the consumer's pursuit to buy a new model. So to have a part of a car, you also need to say which year it was build, or you get something different.
So the former is phonemakers that comes with a new build phone, all new parts, reaps the early profits, and does leave very little room for the aftermarket people that repair and sell components, because one month later (if they could, by law they need to support 2-3 years, but in their unsigned buyers contract it says 1 year) they are selling the next model and do not support the old one (not even software updates), while others actually sell that small thingy coil more than 10 years later.

Even for with the Pyra I do not know how to call the screw they use to hold the back together, by diameter, length, tilt and distance.

So some want to go to a model where you own nothing and lease/hire everything. Clothing, bed, kitchen, fridge. To be profitable, it means that the fridge is made out of standard components, and will always look the same (kinda like in the sovjet time). Bikes will all have standard components, or at least the frame. So I expect that the color will change a lot in order to make products feel "different".

Also here's a photo of Dobby the House Elf.

root@yurp:~# file dobby
dobby: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=a65f86cd6394e8f583c14d786d13b3bcbe051b87, stripped

Stripped! How obscene!
It's also asking for another SOC. While it just got one!

Back