Release It's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
craigix said:
How might we do that then?

If you could make a quick HTML page with the photos and something saying that you're releasing them under a CC license, that'd satisfy their requirements.

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Photo License (CC)/title>
</head>
<body>
All images on this page are licensed under the by-nc Creative Commons license.

[img]image URL goes here[/img]

</body>
 </html>
is quick and easy. :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
rabidpoobear said:
atomicthumbs said:
craigix said:
I cannot work out how to update the photo of the Pandora on wikipedia, but you can change it to the photo Michael posted now. I'm sick of the sight of that render!
If you could make a quick HTML page with the photos and something saying that you're releasing them under a CC license, that'd satisfy their requirements.
Not necessary in this case, I uploaded them as licence "The copyright holder has given permission for this image to be uploaded to Wikipedia" which should be fine.
But if you want to use the image for other purposes CC would be nice.

EDIT:
nvm, they DO need to be under CC or something similar, the image has been flagged for speedy deletion due to the license. Oops.

How might we do that then?

Theoretically the photographer, (Or the person he's working for? I think?) needs to release it under either public domain, or a Wikipedia compatible license. (My non-expert opinion is that The GNU Documentation License is the one you want.) He'd need to either say this publicly on the web somewhere. Or it could be verified through the OTRS process, which I don't understand at all.

In the mean time I've put a HANGON tag on the image and a brief comment that the image is intended to be wikipedia-friendly, and there was just a screw-up with the license, not an actual copyright violation. That should buy some time.

craigix said:
On the web somewhere? Like here on the forum?

If you could upload an HTML page like that on the website somewhere, it'd be better (more verification as "official" :p ). The forum would probably work, though.

"cc-by-sa-3.0" (share-alike (no modification), attribution) would probably be a better license to put it under for use on Wikipedia though.

craigix said:

I think it would be easier/faster if you just created a Wikipedia account, went here, clicked "Entirely my own work", set the licence and reuploaded it...

I don't see why not.

The problem is that it was licensed as "Ok for wikipedia". You are given this option when you upload a file, but it's a trap. "Ok for wikipedia" is not OK for Wikipedia.

They require that all their content still be legal if someone were to make a fork of Wikipedia. An "Ok for wikipedia" licensed image breaks that. The image needs either some sort of copy-left, or a fair-use claim.

craigix said:
Better if hosted on the website of the copyright holder.
You could post the HTML page above on openpandora's website.
It could be a blind link, with no referring linkages to elsewhere on the site.
You post a thumbnail with the CC license, and the full size for distribution as a link from the thumbnail.
Then post the link here, and the Wiki people here will take the link and refer it on the Wiki page with the photo.

Look, the old image was tagged "This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 1.0 license.". If Craigix or MWeston could say right here that it's OK to tag the new image the same way we could just swap the tags, link the post, and be done with it.

Rules! I'm tempted to just swap the tags myself and let MWeston fix it later if he doesn't like it, but I'm not entirely sure how strict the Wikipedia Police are on these sorts of issues.

The photo/image is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 1.0 license.

Now I'm very very tired and going to sleep. For a few hours. As I have to be up soon. Urgh.

craigix said:
Now I'm very very tired and going to sleep. For a few hours. As I have to be up soon. Urgh.

The sun will be up in a couple of hours, what's the point in sleeping now? ;-)

Hip hip Hooray the Pandora is here today. More pics/vids please ;o)

VRAndy said:
Rules! I'm tempted to just swap the tags myself and let MWeston fix it later if he doesn't like it, but I'm not entirely sure how strict the Wikipedia Police are on these sorts of issues.
They're complete bastards about it. It took two or three tries to get the first render pic up where somejackass wouldn't keep marking it for deletion. The only sure-fire solution is having the pic posted on the OP website with a CC license tag.

Gruso said:
Oh looky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6m1y01LXtM&feature=youtube_gdata

Wooo! It seems that he has to poke the screen multiple times to get it right. Why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back