Release It's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMFG!!! I tink I died and gone o heaven. Thank you OpenPANDORA team, thank you. I love you all. B)

i_love_you_heart_animation.gif

Fantastic. It's going to be so sweet to show this off to the people who think i'm too patient. ;)

Sorry to be Mr Negative and all (despite absolutely loving the "final" unit), but I was expecting the unit to boot up and be ready much quicker than the video showed. I hated GP2X for it's long boot-up time (slightly improved with the Wiz), but this takes longer still.

Is this because the OS still isn't finalised, or are we going to have to put up with that? Please tell me the actual final Pandora will be ready quicker than that. That's slower than my five year old pc loading Windows XP :( :( :(

iprice said:
Sorry to be Mr Negative and all (despite absolutely loving the "final" unit), but I was expecting the unit to boot up and be ready much quicker than the video showed. I hated GP2X for it's long boot-up time (slightly improved with the Wiz), but this takes longer still.

Is this because the OS still isn't finalised, or are we going to have to put up with that? Please tell me the actual final Pandora will be ready quicker than that. That's slower than my five year old pc loading Windows XP :( :( :(

Just dont turn it off ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't say anything about boottime yet.

First thing: It's running off an SD Card, not from the NAND. So if the SD Card is slow, it is slow.
Second thing: It's not really optimized yet, this is one of the last things on our priority list, as we first want everything working.
Third thing: Most other devices (GP2X, etc.) do run an X-Server. X does take a LONG time to start. Without X, boot time is about 20 seconds right now. Don't forget we need a LOT more drivers than a gp2x (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.)
Fourth thing: It's one of those devices which you usually don't shutdown, like a PDA or mobile phone. My mobile phone (Sony Ericcson Xperia) does need about 1 minute to boot up. But usually, you don't shut it down. When everything is finished, the Pandora can be lying around for approx. 10 days in suspend mode (which means instant-on) without being charged. So you basically only need to shutdown if you don't want to use it for the next few days.

EDIT: Also, I haven't seen an NDS bootup an X-Server with a full desktop. Getting rid of the X-Server and optimizing the Pandora, you could get the system to boot within seconds. However, there are so many good X-Apps you'd probably miss (FreeCiv, Internet Browser, Battle for Wesnoth, etc.)

craigix said:
Right, where the fuck are those vapourware twats? I want to punch them in the face.

+1.

If I could thumbs up your post, I would.

Well done guys! :D

EvilDragon said:
EDIT: Also, I haven't seen an NDS bootup an X-Server with a full desktop.
It takes me about 40 seconds to bring up the linux environment on the NDS, but that's without a desktop.
I haven't timed it with the X server, but they use nano-X, and comparing that to a full X server would be like comparing a smart car to a pickup truck. :p

EvilDragon said:
You can't say anything about boottime yet.

First thing: It's running off an SD Card, not from the NAND. So if the SD Card is slow, it is slow.
Second thing: It's not really optimized yet, this is one of the last things on our priority list, as we first want everything working.
Third thing: Most other devices (GP2X, etc.) do run an X-Server. X does take a LONG time to start. Without X, boot time is about 20 seconds right now. Don't forget we need a LOT more drivers than a gp2x (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.)
Fourth thing: It's one of those devices which you usually don't shutdown, like a PDA or mobile phone. My mobile phone (Sony Ericcson Xperia) does need about 1 minute to boot up. But usually, you don't shut it down. When everything is finished, the Pandora can be lying around for approx. 10 days in suspend mode (which means instant-on) without being charged. So you basically only need to shutdown if you don't want to use it for the next few days.

EDIT: Also, I haven't seen an NDS bootup an X-Server with a full desktop. Getting rid of the X-Server and optimizing the Pandora, you could get the system to boot within seconds. However, there are so many good X-Apps you'd probably miss (FreeCiv, Internet Browser, Battle for Wesnoth, etc.)
You are right when you say, that the Boot Time doesen't matter if the Pandora acts like the PDAs Powersave actions. (Devices are even "on" internal when you turn them actualy off) Problem is, onto the Pandora, things like suspend mode simply don't work and notaz sayed its possible that these things never can work fully (AFAIK). At least it needs a huge ammount of time because all the drivers need to support these functions. (I wonder why a driver does need to know such stuff)
Maybe a once mentioned script that downclock the Pandora and shut the screen off etc... can be a replacement for some time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back