Here Is What Will Be Happening.

My personal opinion on these cases (assuming the OP team is still reading and looking for opinions), is that finish coloration, uneven edges on the back ports, and even a tiny sinkhole is okay. If that's it, ship it.

If the issue is actually functional regarding the hinge, or that the cases will come out beat up, torn or scratched, that's just too much to overlook.

naples39 said:
My personal opinion on these cases (assuming the OP team is still reading and looking for opinions), is that finish coloration, uneven edges on the back ports, and even a tiny sinkhole is okay. If that's it, ship it.

If the issue is actually functional regarding the hinge, or that the cases will come out beat up, torn or scratched, that's just too much to overlook.

Seems to be the prevailing point of view... FWIW I agree, and I think that if the hinge is a big problem then OP won't send out the cases, or at least I (and probably many others) would ask for a refund.

But that won't happen :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the way MWeston (or was it DJWillis? Or someone else?) didn't want the 3D model to be freely available because of fears of people producing knock-off Pandoras from the model and ruining themarket for real Pandoras? Can't we use a factory that the clone makers use, and gain their cheapness, speed, and (presumably) quality? Or are we already doing that?

Kyosys said:
Eh, honestly I've had enough of their bull****. It's very apparent that Openpandora have no idea what the hell they are doing and I'm tired...

***Kyosys, you need to tone your language down, it's becoming tiresome. Please don't morph into a Gerald1/Silent One clone.***

Fine, i'm just gonna censor the word. Didn't think this was such a problem, seeing as how lulzfish has swear words in both his sig and usertitle, and no one seems to really mind. maybe it's just when they're used in a negative context against openpandora

Yea this is ridiculous. You have people like SONy brining F*** into just about every post (and even poll) he ever makes, totally abusing the word. Then you have somebody using a semi bad word like bul***it and getting told to cool it just because he's semi-directing it at the Pandoa team. Well that's bol**cks, f**k is worse than bul***it!

jaycee900 said:
trix said:
Try to understand a large part of the reason they try so hard to be so optimistic is that for them, this endeavour HAS to succeed. Some of them have put their entire (financial) life on the line (houses, cars, etc) to see this thing through. If it all falls down and we all want a refund because it ends up being crap, they lose EVERYTHING.

Personally, even if all of this fails, I'll count my $330 as lost, rather then ask for a refund. Because at that point, they need it more then I do.

- trix
Lol what!? No one has their house on the line, this project is debt free as craig keeps stating, fair enough if u aren't bothered about yr money, but one thing is sure if/when they sell 10k + units u certainly won't be seeing any of the profit...

it is debt free because of our investment/preorder however you call it. they certainly don't have enough cash if everybody would cancel instantly.

btw, trix, nice to see that i am not alone :) . for me this has become much more a support thing for some brave independent developers. i would really hate to see them go down - such projects are far too rare these days anyway.

I'm also in the "100% supportive of OpenPandora" boat, and I'm really hoping that this time next year they're going to be sitting on a huge pile of cash working out how to make a Pandora 2 with it .. ;)

torpor said:
I'm also in the "100% supportive of OpenPandora" boat, and I'm really hoping that this time next year they're going to be sitting on a huge pile of cash working out how to make a Pandora 2 with it .. ;)

hear hear

Also, as far as "if they sell 10k+ units u certainly wont be seeing any profit"...

well we already have in a way, double the promised RAM for one. But in the end our share of the "profit" is threefold:
1) My Pandora will say "First Batch" on it. I can be even more elitist then usual! Also, I will have mine before most!
2) I get an amazing deal for only $330. The iPhone 3GS with the same SoC is far more expensive, has lower resolution, and no physical controls. Hell I paid $600 for an iPhone 3G that can't even do decent PSX.
3) I am supporting open source software and hardware, sticking it to companies like Apple, and hopefully the success of this project inspires others to do awesome things like this.

Not everything is about money. Not to me, anyway.

- trix

trix said:
Also, as far as "if they sell 10k+ units u certainly wont be seeing any profit"...

well we already have in a way, double the promised RAM for one. But in the end our share of the "profit" is threefold:
1) My Pandora will say "First Batch" on it. I can be even more elitist then usual! Also, I will have mine before most!
2) I get an amazing deal for only $330. The iPhone 3GS with the same SoC is far more expensive, has lower resolution, and no physical controls. Hell I paid $600 for an iPhone 3G that can't even do decent PSX.
3) I am supporting open source software and hardware, sticking it to companies like Apple, and hopefully the success of this project inspires others to do awesome things like this.

Not everything is about money. Not to me, anyway.

- trix

Agreed, to me it's not only a gaming device, but small Linux platform which I could use not only for games but for work as well.

Since the entire project is open It's truly a unique project. seeing how it is an open project, it seems to have it's issues of people freaking out when something goes wrong.This doesn't happen when a device is developed entirely in a closed environment and the customer only sees the end result when everything is worked out.

I really don't think its very fair, either, to say such things as "the Cortex A8 of the Pandora is out-dated" .. I mean, there are tons of devices out there using much slower processors being sold for the same price. The Cortex A8 is going to be *plenty* for us this year and the next ..

TrashyMG said:
Agreed, to me it's not only a gaming device, but small Linux platform which I could use not only for games but for work as well.

Since the entire project is open It's truly a unique project. seeing how it is an open project, it seems to have it's issues of people freaking out when something goes wrong.This doesn't happen when a device is developed entirely in a closed environment and the customer only sees the end result when everything is worked out.
It's both what makes it good and bad.
Trouble is for most other devices you've not paid a pre-order for such a long wait.

Personally I've not bought other devices, as I've been waiting on my Pandora, and before anyone says it, yes I knew there was going to be delays, but any time I did think about buying something it was always less than 2 months away, so I couldn't waste the money.

I think generally people have been pretty good at not freaking out too much, this has been the worst (on all sides of the argument) but I think either way after today we should know how things stand.

I stand by what I've said in the past rightly or wrongly, I'm still going to have blind faith in the OP team. :D

If you can get a full Linux umpc this small for under £300 go get it

This is why I have two on order it is a umpc first games second for me

torpor said:
I really don't think its very fair, either, to say such things as "the Cortex A8 of the Pandora is out-dated" .. I mean, there are tons of devices out there using much slower processors being sold for the same price. The Cortex A8 is going to be *plenty* for us this year and the next ..
Yep. Also it's pretty much irrelevant if there is a faster processor out there. I've owned many handhelds in the last decade, which had its strenghts and weaknesses. The 400MHz ARM11(OMAP2) in my N800 was "almost there". If it had a proper L2 cache and a driver for MBX, it even could have been fast enough for me. The step from (not L2 equipped) ARM11 to Cortex A8 is huge. I don't expect the step from A8 to A9 to be that groundbreaking like the step from ARM11 to A8 was. Floating point performance will be improved and you get a few more MHz. Software will have to be rewritten to take advantage of multicore, though.
Seing other devices with OMAP3 opening webpages blazingly fast and multitasking like there is no tomorrow, makes me very confident, that Pandora will last for a pretty long while. Heck, I even still use my Dell x50v regularly.

torpor said:

+1

Not just the A8. I know nothing about the DSP or NEON. But some people on here do.

It will be an incremental process where each month we see some new technique or trick to take advantage of the hardware.

GhostChaserUK said:
Where are you going to get a full Linux umpc this small for under £300

This is why I have two on order it is a umpc first games second for me
Not sure if this was a general remark or a response to me or not?
The Pandora checks a lot of boxes, but that doesn't mean people can't buy things that check some, or even the most important boxes.
Example gaming which is one of the big selling point (for good reason, due to the controls) is a VERY low priority for me.
But I am hoping that once I have it I'll start playing games a bit again.
Form factor, I could compromise on it.
The fact is though, that the Pandora checks pretty much all the boxes I need with little comprimise. If I had to comprimise I could though and get something else. I just don't want to :lol:

PS Not moaning about it, just stating my position.

Just like to add that I have no plans to leave either. Id prefer that my $1000+ USD stay with OP. Id also like to add that I eagerly await the arrival of my Pandora.

Back