Here Is What Will Be Happening.

I'd be 100% fine with one of those 7 flawed cases if they're going to go ahead and do a rev4.

I bought this to play games from 20-30 years ago, I don't give a crap about the looks of it. If I did, my atari would have been out the door about 20 years ago.

If it would be at all possible to get mine now, I ordered mine through ED's shop, PM me if this is a possibility.

Craigix: Spoke to the factory; the final cases won't have these errors or finish, that's good news.

shiny.gif

trix said:
Also, as far as "if they sell 10k+ units u certainly wont be seeing any profit"...

well we already have in a way, double the promised RAM for one. But in the end our share of the "profit" is threefold:
1) My Pandora will say "First Batch" on it. I can be even more elitist then usual! Also, I will have mine before most!
2) I get an amazing deal for only $330. The iPhone 3GS with the same SoC is far more expensive, has lower resolution, and no physical controls. Hell I paid $600 for an iPhone 3G that can't even do decent PSX.
3) I am supporting open source software and hardware, sticking it to companies like Apple, and hopefully the success of this project inspires others to do awesome things like this.

Not everything is about money. Not to me, anyway.

- trix

What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?

The world - he profis by/gains the WHOLE WORLD.

Or, in this case, a Pandora - probably one with "First Batch" emblazoned on it.

TrashyMG said:
Since the entire project is open It's truly a unique project.

Well, the entire project is open except for the hardware (mothrboard, nubs, case, battery I guess).

torpor said:
I really don't think its very fair, either, to say such things as "the Cortex A8 of the Pandora is out-dated" .. I mean, there are tons of devices out there using much slower processors being sold for the same price. The Cortex A8 is going to be *plenty* for us this year and the next ..

Not out of date, surely, but now "Current Gen" instead of the "Next Gen" device it seemed to be 1.5/2 years ago.

GhostChaserUK said:
If you can get a full Linux umpc this small for under £300 go get it

This is why I have two on order it is a umpc first games second for me

I hear what ou're saying, though added to other comments it's making me wonder - the Chinese factory sounded almost too good to be true (these Chinese fellows, they will work for dust and produce the same quality as Western Manufacturer AND be glad of it! Invite you round for tea too! Jolly fast workers!) and it turns out they WERE "too good to be true" - they have not fulfilled their side of what our cheeky Western chappies thought the deal was. Does this now apply to the Pandora itself? One attraction of the Pandora is that it seemed to be a sort of UMPC, high quality computer at far less than the competition. It seems almost too good to be true...

Is it?

Did OpenPandora base their initial price for the Pandora on the cost of cases from THIS factory and this factory alone, or did they do their costings earlier? ...and so on.

I've just looked at MWeston's PhotoBucket page again... where did all the skanky pictures go? the only pic still there is the most positive, good linking photo of the bunch! Wassup with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosbeetle said:
Craigix: Spoke to the factory; the final cases won't have these errors or finish, that's good news.

shiny.gif

Sounds good - if that's the case (sigh) then are we good to go for the whole lot, no "good cases to follow" need apply?

Though I must admit, at this stage, I trust Craig and what the Chinese have told him about equally.

Back on-topic:

For me, it would be ok to go with current case for the first batch. Then you could continue improving the case until you find it completely perfect. When second batch (with state-of-the-art cases) is ready, you could then offer spare cases at the Pandora store, so anyone could upgrade theirs.

(if this has been already told in this thread, then it's a +1 for that - sorry for not reading 38 pages of replies before posting)

Monk said:
I've just looked at MWeston's PhotoBucket page again... where did all the skanky pictures go? the only pic still there is the most positive, good linking photo of the bunch! Wassup with that?
It's a wise decision to remove them. Most people don't understand the molding process good enough to categorize the sample cases, correctly. Btw, I worked in such a factory for five years, when I was a student. I even controlled the machines at the end, because I learn technical stuff very fast in general.

Edit:
Ok, let me change it to "it would have been best to not post them at all in the first place". They just moved them to the main OP photobucket now ;)

Did you just quote the ending of Castlevania: SOTN?

WizardStan said:
trix said:

Did you just quote the ending of Castlevania: SOTN?
IT'S FROM THE BIBLE!!!!!!!!!11!

Ahh lol, I read a lot of fiction, but never got around to that one.

Not that I mean to start a religious debate...

trix said:

You're one of those people that say things like "I really like that Come Together song by Aerosmith. Didn't someone do a cover of it? The Roaches or something? Some kind of insect." aren't you?

WizardStan said:
trix said:

You're one of those people that say things like "I really like that Come Together song by Aerosmith. Didn't someone do a cover of it? The Roaches or something? Some kind of insect." aren't you?

lol, nope I have flawless taste in music, art, and literature. It's fictional books that stupid people misuse as excuse for genocide and war that I don't bother reading.

I HAVE played Castlevania though, and Alucard says that line at the end of the game, obviously quoting the Bible, after he defeats Dracula during the ending sequence.

- trix

trix said:
WizardStan said:
trix said:

lol, nope I have flawless taste in music, art, and literature. It's fictional books that stupid people misuse as excuse for genocide and war that I don't bother reading.

I HAVE played Castlevania though, and Alucard says that line at the end of the game, obviously quoting the Bible, after he defeats Dracula during the ending sequence.

- trix

[csotn-257] Go back once you came, trouble the soul of my mother no more.
[csotn-258] H...how... how, how is it I've been so defeated?
[csotn-259] You have been doomed ever since you lost the ability to love.
[csotn-260] Ha... ah.. sarcasm...
[csotn-261] For what profit is it to a man, if he gains the world, and
looses his own soul?
[csotn-262] Matthew 16:26 I believe.
[csotn-263] Tell me.
[csotn-264] What...what were Lisa's last words?
[csotn-265] She said do not hate humans.
[csotn-266] If you can not live with them, then at least do them no harm.
[csotn-267] For theirs is already a hard lot.
[csotn-268] She also said to tell you, that she will love you for all of
eternity.

Dracula out and out says that it's a bible quote.

Rathum said:
Dracula out and out says that it's a bible quote.

Obviously, I had forgotten. But congrats, the size of your e-penis has grown!

trix said:
lol, nope I have flawless taste in music, art, and literature.
*whoosh*

trix said:
It's fictional books that stupid people misuse as excuse for genocide and war that I don't bother reading.
*ahem*
trix said:
These two statements seem to be at odds with each other. Pick a stance and go with it, or don't say anything at all.

trix said:
If you knew he was quoting the Bible when said, why did you ask if it was a quote about the end of the game, as if the game writers had come up with the phrase?

@WizardStan:

I'm not going to quote you to pieces as it would be a page long at this point but:

>>"pick one or the other"

I did pick one, I don't want to start a religious debate. In the other statement you quoted, I was not trying to start one (though I can see how it could), but rather responding to your Beatles analogy that seemed to imply I had missed something everyone should know. I disagree, and left that sentence as the shortest accurate explanation I could think of, as to why I haven't read what you seem to think I should've.

>>"If you knew he was quoting the Bible when said, why did you ask if it was a quote about the end of the game, as if the game writers had come up with the phrase?"

You misunderstand me, I did not, when I asked, remember that Dracula was quoting the Bible. It became obvious that that was what he was quoting, upon reading your original reply.

Offtopic: It feels strange to use "that that" in a sentence, though I know it's correct.

@Rathum: LMAO, nice pic :)

trix said:
You misunderstand me, I did not, when I asked, remember that Dracula was quoting the Bible. It became obvious that that was what he was quoting, upon reading your original reply.
The point was that you (and as an extension your thoughts represent a view on society) heard a phrase and assumed it was modern. History is full of wisdom that society seems to be forgetting, not just in the Bible (whether you believe the stories in it or not, it does contain a lot of things you can learn from), but but other works down the line. There's a reason they continue to study Shakespeare in schools (or did, last I heard). I even supplied an example in the form of music, but I could have just as easily talked about the statue of David or the Mona Lisa. Imagine your friend paints a picture, and you congratulate him on how it looks, and then a few weeks later they talk about the Louvre and you quote to your friend "looks like someone else really liked your painting."
It's a change of mindset I've noticed over the past 20 years, is all. It's like more and more people are trending towards the thought that everything they see and hear is new, and the first instance of that new thing they saw must have been the first time it appeared. They may not consciously think that, but when pressed or presented with differences, it becomes obvious. I even caught myself doing it the other day, heard the original of a song for the first time and assumed it was a cover. 20 years ago I believe it would have been a more questioning "is this a cover?" rather than the assumption that it was.
It's not that people are forgetting history, it's that people seem to be forgetting that we even HAD a history, that there's a lot of wisdom locked up in the past. To link it back, you heard a phrase and immediately assumed it was from a video game; the idea that it could have been much older didn't creep into your statement at all. That's what set my buttons blinking.
Consider: there are people that honestly believe the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is based on the movie instead of the other way around. Think about that very carefully and you might glimpse what exactly is going on in my head sometimes.
One day someone's going to say "sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" and another person is going to reply "cool story bro" and then I will burst into flames of pure hatred.

The hell? I come looking for more Pandora news and you guys are talking about Dracula and religion? :D

Back