Gp2x Community Game Contest: Community Favorite Poll

Which Game from the GP2x Community Game Contest did you like the best?

• Airplyr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Altitude

• Bare Fist Fighter

• Cardmaster

• Crapong

• Crossroads

• Grow

• GoitGeePee

• Laser2x

• Squares

• Stairway to Heaven

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
Orkie posted on Feb 1 2007 at 10:53 PM said:
No, you should judge it for what it is. Just because it wasn't commerical doesn't mean it shouldn't be improved. Also, the game being good is very subjective, I find it quite dull.

Every opinion is subjective. I think that every piece of work that's for free should be treated as presents. It's also a matter of decency and appreciation for the effort that is done. If it is bad I won't say it's good, but you will never see me saying a free game being dull or bad. That's not very supportive for people that spend hours of their free time to give this community something worthwhile.

Just because you appreciate something doesn't mean it isn't bad. If someone makes a dinner for you and you don't like it, you still appreciate that they took the time to make it for you, however you don't try to encourage them to become a chef. I'm sure Orkie appreciates the game being made but he just doesn't happen to like it and he's entitled to his opinion and he doesn't have to be supportive because it is an actual contest for money. It's not little leauge baseball... there will be criticizm and everyone will not get a trophy.

P.S. I liked BFF and am not comparing it to a bad meal im just defending criticizm

Last edited by a moderator:
B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
Every opinion is subjective. I think that every piece of work that's for free should be treated as presents. It's also a matter of decency and appreciation for the effort that is done. If it is bad I won't say it's good, but you will never see me saying a free game being dull or bad. That's not very supportive for people that spend hours of their free time to give this community something worthwhile.
You forget - I too have spent hours of my free time giving stuff to the community (most of it gets ignored). And I wasn't going to comment on how I found the game until you prompted me to. I was only going to give criticism about the graphics because the author could make it better, but only if he knows what to improve :)

Orkie posted on Feb 1 2007 at 04:34 PM said:
Talking purely about the graphics:

I thought the title screen when the ring was spinning was extremely choppy. The rest wasn't too 'choppy' as such, but it wasn't particularly fluid (regardless of how fast it was actually running, it looked less than 30 FPS) and the rendered images don't look too great around the edges.

Aside from the lack of frames in the animations and the edges, the 3D renders looked fine (though I personally am not a great fan of the style), but the menu/bar/text/credits etc. looked quite tacky. Some work in this area would make a huge amount of difference, and the game could look really nice in time.

I will agree with you on the spinning of the ring being choppy it was my first attempt at streaming graphics from the memory card none of the intro graphics are preloaded into the systems memory they are read on the fly from the memory card kinda like the cp2s and neogeo emulators do it I have now corrected the choppines when streaming by creating a buffer first so its very smooth now. I just didn't switch it BFF yet thats the only reason it is choppy. :)

The menu/bar/text/credits was a quick 30min job to get it finished for the contest that is why they were so plain compared to the rest of the game. They were created last and I didn't have much time left.

GP2X_Coder posted on Feb 1 2007 at 03:22 PM said:
Orkie posted on Feb 1 2007 at 04:34 PM said:
Talking purely about the graphics:

I thought the title screen when the ring was spinning was extremely choppy. The rest wasn't too 'choppy' as such, but it wasn't particularly fluid (regardless of how fast it was actually running, it looked less than 30 FPS) and the rendered images don't look too great around the edges.

Aside from the lack of frames in the animations and the edges, the 3D renders looked fine (though I personally am not a great fan of the style), but the menu/bar/text/credits etc. looked quite tacky. Some work in this area would make a huge amount of difference, and the game could look really nice in time.

I will agree with you on the spinning of the ring being choppy it was my first attempt at streaming graphics from the memory card none of the intro graphics are preloaded into the systems memory they are read on the fly from the memory card kinda like the cp2s and neogeo emulators do it I have now corrected the choppines when streaming by creating a buffer first so its very smooth now. I just didn't switch it BFF yet thats the only reason it is choppy. :)

The menu/bar/text/credits was a quick 30min job to get it finished for the contest that is why they were so plain compared to the rest of the game. They were created last and I didn't have much time left.
Lol, i thought that it was supposed to be choppy like that. It didn't really seem choppy but just broken up. I figured that because all the other graphics were so good that you did that because you thought it looked cool or something.

GP2X_Coder posted on Feb 1 2007 at 08:01 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Feb 1 2007 at 12:02 PM said:
I didn't mean to be too offensive. I'm just overly critical and biased. I am used to playing games at 60FPS on PC and such, hence I tend to overly notice change in the amount of animation.

Ok thats cool just to let you know that BFF runs at 110fps the lowest that it drops in frame rate is the high 90FPS.
I was on about the frames of animation, not the framerate. No point running 110FPS whenyou only update an image every 14 frames, or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back