Gp2x Community Game Contest Only 3 Days Left!

PSyMastR posted on Dec 18 2006 at 04:02 AM said:
http://gp2x.psymastr.com/entries.html

They are now available for download :) Merry Early Christmas.

Any chance we could get a new thread and maybe a new front-page entry announcing this fact? Seems a bit of an odd way to announce the contest, burying the details in an older thread reminding people there are only '3 days left', when in fact the competition is now well and truly over ..

(but anyway .. great stuff! off to download the set now and check it all out ..)

Last edited by a moderator:
PSyMastR posted on Dec 18 2006 at 03:02 AM said:
http://gp2x.psymastr.com/entries.html

They are now available for download :) Merry Early Christmas.

About to download and a thought struck me: seeing as we may want to try out all of the games at least once would it be possible to download a single ZIP or TAR with all the entries. A Community Favourite Judging Pack if you will...

Thanks for all the hard work anyway - off to warm up the SD.

Cool, I hope everyone enjoys my game. Please remember to read the user guide even if only to set up the media player (takes 20 seconds) to get the full benefit of the game. And don't forget if you have a BOB + mouse the game is fully playable with it.

If you have any problems let me know and I will try and answer them. I will try out the other entries later today, my PC decided to break last night so using my laptop which has nothing installed :)

torpor posted on Dec 18 2006 at 09:30 AM said:
Any chance we could get a new thread and maybe a new front-page entry announcing this fact? Seems a bit of an odd way to announce the contest, burying the details in an older thread reminding people there are only '3 days left', when in fact the competition is now well and truly over ..

agreed. also, who won or has it not been announced yet?

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 18 2006 at 12:57 PM said:
Cool, I hope everyone enjoys my game. Please remember to read the user guide even if only to set up the media player (takes 20 seconds) to get the full benefit of the game. And don't forget if you have a BOB + mouse the game is fully playable with it.

If you have any problems let me know and I will try and answer them. I will try out the other entries later today, my PC decided to break last night so using my laptop which has nothing installed :)
Well, I changed the path to my music folder. But it still tells me that it doesn't exist, then freezes scanning for media.

I don't think I have either of those - I checked with vi.

EDIT: It works if I don't edit the path, and change my music folder to /mnt/sd/audio.

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 18 2006 at 03:57 PM said:
couple of things to try, dont put a trailing space at the end of the path or add a new line or a space at the end of it.
Hehe, forgot to "trim" ;)? Happens to me all the time, too.

And I agree, we need a new thread!

the current method of adding a path was added in near last minute as i had run out of time to get the file browser up and running. i knew this may cause problems but it should work fine as the beta testers didnt have any problems.

PokeParadox posted on Dec 14 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
goto is a no-no. (It's only left in for compatibility with older source)
break has its uses. (but if you can; use return, continue or some clear exit condition)
:)
There are legitimate uses for goto. You should use it to exit from a very deeply nested routine (otherwise you would have to use multiple if and break statements - which is really messy, and less efficient).

Hanz™ posted on Dec 18 2006 at 07:53 PM said:
PokeParadox posted on Dec 14 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
goto is a no-no. (It's only left in for compatibility with older source)
break has its uses. (but if you can; use return, continue or some clear exit condition)
:)
There are legitimate uses for goto. You should use it to exit from a very deeply nested routine (otherwise you would have to use multiple if and break statements - which is really messy, and less efficient).
In JAVA (and I'm sure other languages as well) you can just use "return".

But doesn't return terminate the entire function, not just the series of nested loops?

- Alex

Alex. posted on Dec 19 2006 at 06:31 PM said:
But doesn't return terminate the entire function, not just the series of nested loops?

- Alex
It does but if there is even more to do in a single function than an already deeply nested whatever then there's something really wrong with your design. Trust me, I see shitty code everytime I look at mine ;)

a bug has been found in Squares for linux users when editing the path in mediasettings.dat. your editor may add a new line after the path which will result in the game not scanning for music or crashing when it enters the game.

you can fix this by trying to remove the newline with another editor or use a new copy of mediasettings.dat from the zipfile and renaming the folder on your sd card to /mnt/sd/audio.

i will work on a fix tonight and release a new version tonight or tomorrow.

Back