Gmenu2x V0.7 Released

ryosaeba

Certified Guru
Website
mtorromeo.github.com
GMenu2X v0.7 is now available for download on the project homepage.

This release fixes an important bug with links with special characters in their file path.
The selected file from the selector is also escaped, you don't need anymore the quotes around "[selPath][selFile][selExt]" (you can now simply use [selFullPath]), so please update your params lines.
There are also a couple of changes just to make the release a little more yummy.
[cut]
Columns & Rows configurable
You can now configure the menu's grid with 2-4 rows and 1-6 columns.
So you can add more space between your links or keep them near to have more links on a single page.
Remember that if you change the grid (default is 4 rows and 6 columns) you probably also want to change the file imgs/selection.png (if you use it) to reflect the different selection size.

Return to last selection
Now the menu will return to the last link selected or the last selected file from the selector by saving the value in ram (using a file in tmpfs).
This is different from the "Save last selection" option that return to the last selected link also after a reboot of the gp2x and that saves the setting to a regular file.

Aliases
Create a file with a list of lines like this:
Code:
pacland=Pac Land
and the list of files in the selector will display the alis instead of the filename.

Other changes (few) in the ChangeLog:

New in 0.7
GMenu2X always returns to last section/game/selector used (until shutdown)
New params magic value: [selFullPath] which equals to [selPath][selFile][selExt]
Params magic values ([selFile] & Co.) are now automatically escaped, so quotes are not needed (and may cause problems)
Added support for an optional alias file for the selector that display the full name of roms.
Fixed bug with links with special characters.
Removed some unneeded savings.
Number of rows and columns on the links page configurable.
Various little fixes and tweaks[/cut]

Cool stuff, started using it at v0.6, I like it :)
However, there is still a crash bug, like if you have an empty section, and touch the volume (overclock) buttons, it goes to a black screen.... I guess the code assumes that there is always an icon highlighted/selected, and in empty sections this is not the case......
But keep up the improvements. This is way better than the default loader, I especially love that overclocking functionality.

clone posted on Oct 1 2006 at 09:06 PM said:
However, there is still a crash bug, like if you have an empty section, and touch the volume (overclock) buttons, it goes to a black screen.... I guess the code assumes that there is always an icon highlighted/selected, and in empty sections this is not the case......
Ok, thanks for the info.

cowai posted on Oct 1 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
Does this fix the blackscreens?
This is a bit generic, could you be a little more detailed?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks again ryo, awesome launcher!!! i haven't tried using it for usbnet yet, i always go back to the default one, but i saw it might be possible.

gaterooze: haven't tried it myself yet (any of the timer business), but you can write your own scipts to encorperate the timer settings you desire as described here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=458187

Since that topic came out, it seems that ram timing settings has become the most popular feature request.
I could do that, but I fear that it will arise a lot of feedback regarding problems with wrong settings that cause instability on the gp2x.

Anyway, I'll probably implement that since there's so much interest. But I don't think it should be modifiable from the main interface as the overclock setting.

I would like to hear what you (users) think about that.

PS: since naples39 was so kind to contribute the screenpacks I suggested, it would be also nice if someone made full mame romset and neogeo romset alias files.

I mentiones in the gmenu2x V0.6 thread, but I'll reiterate here:

It might be an idea to implement the RAM timings as a toggle. Maybe with a section to put the RAM timings commandline?

That way people can see if it works for them...

maybe a conf file that looks just like this

--upll --timing 1 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2

so that every user can customize his settings, and you "simply" ( :rolleyes: ) need to append that to the part of code using CPUSpeed

I see you took care of some of my request, and i'm very pleased by your new Gmenu! I can truly say that every release is way better than its predecessor and brings its own improvements! and every release brings you closer to perfection ;) I hope GPH is taking example on your menu!

Thanks for the feedback.

reiboul, your suggestion for the conf file won't work on gmenu2x cause I don't use the cpuspeed binary and all those settings are actually not implemented in the sourcecode.

It would be probably implemented in the "Edit link" menu anyway and not as a strange conf file (there's no gain in using it that way).

I should also document myself a little more on the meaning of all those options...

using GnGeo's old romrc file, and some grep / strings replacements, I built an alias file listing all (??) NeoGeo games, but how can I share it?
I will try to do the same with Mame as soon as I have time to search for the mame romset, but for now i really have to go to bed...

Shikaku posted on Oct 1 2006 at 11:56 PM said:
Edit: these are screenpacks that were already made before... SEARCH NOOBS =p
Well, nobody asked for them so maybe everyone knew that they existed (I knew).
It's good to point out new users in the right direction though.

Edit: nice reiboul. You can use the file archive or some file hosting service like http://www.sendmefile.com

This is clearly going from strength to strength, thanks Ryo.

I still have the same problem that I did in the last version though. If I run S Tris after using DrMD, I see the static DrMD frontend but hear the sound from S Tris! This doesn't happen when using the inbuilt launcher. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Hm, just one question:
Is it possible to use command line options with Selector? Really useful with GNGeo :)

I just tried this but it has some kind of bug.

There was an arrow pointing right on the section bar. I moved the cursor there and the screen went black. Now every time I turn on the unit I just get a black screen.

So I went to try 2.6 and saw that I have a "found gpe" and "found gpu" header in sections (I assume 2.7 is the same). Is there a way to hide those? They just get in the way of my main stuff and I would only use those when adding new things and don't want them all of the time. They just force more scrolling around to find what I want.

Back