Gmenu2x V0.6 Released

bernwa posted on Sep 24 2006 at 03:21 PM said:
nice update, although squidgesnes doesnt work anymore :( is there any fix for this? or should i go back to 0.5?
Works fine for me.. did you try recreating the link?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff.. I have a habit of never using spaces in folder names so that didn't even occur to me.

So has anyone figured out how to get S-tris working yet?

shiffy posted on Sep 24 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
I've got a few of other games that don't appear to work with this ... just get the black screen .... although they work fine with the GPH front end .... although I admit to being a newbie with this frontend, so I may have missed something. Saying that, I've got 40 links & 34 of them work. The ones below don't work for me!

Beats Of Rage
Deal Or No Deal
Penguin Command
AlexKid Master System Emulator
Gngeo2x
Hu6280
SqidgeSnes

PokeParadox posted on Sep 24 2006 at 03:38 PM said:
I think this version has issues with spaces in the directories...
I renamed "deal or no deal" to "deal" and it started working again...

COMFIRMED ... by me anyway! Everything that wasn't previously working now works by taking the spaces out of the directory folder names!

PokeParadox posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:47 PM said:
S-tris... hmmm maybe that's the "-" symbol that's giving it troubles?

Again, COMFIRMED!! With s-tris, I renames the GPE file to " S_Tris_2.gpe ". Using underscore rather than a dash/minus! It now works fine for me!

Great Work!
I like the selector thing wery much, but how do you guys figure out the cmdline options for the emus? Tried to find them for gpfce, but couldnt find the in the readme or on the forums.

Here's my link for GPFCE:
Code:
title=GPFCE
description=NES emulator.
icon=/mnt/nand/gmenu2x/icons/nes.png
exec=/mnt/sd/emulators/nes/gpfce.gpe
clock=230
selectordir=/mnt/sd/roms/nes/
selectorfilter=.nes,.zip,.fds
wrapper=true

Note that I've renamed the gpfce program to gpfce.gpe

EDIT: I just realised you were asking how to find out the commandline... well gpfce came bundled with a program called selector... you can look at the config files for the selector, to see how to use gmenu2x's selector.

shiffy posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:50 PM said:
PokeParadox posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:47 PM said:
S-tris... hmmm maybe that's the "-" symbol that's giving it troubles?

Again, COMFIRMED!! With s-tris, I renames the GPE file to " S_Tris_2.gpe ". Using underscore rather than a dash/minus! It now works fine for me!

This isn't working for me. I have tried this and several variations of folders and filenames without uppercase, hyphens, or spaces without success.

Also, can someone confirm: many people they say this bug just leaves them with a blank screen after launch; I get the sound of S-Tris 2 but the static screen from the last application or game as I exited that, NOT a blank screen?

Does that make sense?

It would be nice if one could specify an option to set distance between icons. I think the screen is a bit crowdy right now, and icon names tend to overlap each other, so if one could space them apart a bit, iw would make everything look cleaner.

Now that i did get all my games working (removing spaces or special characters in folder/gpe's names) I agree that gMenu is probably the most usefull app at the moment!

BTW, i noticed that Volum Limiter wasn't enabled in gMenu... is that fixed?

a background selector might be a good idea? it's just about renaming the bg.png into (whatyouwant).png, and another into bg.png, and reloading gMenu :)

I found your idea of including an automatig scanner GREAT! it allows to re-build the gmenu menu in just a few clicks (using the officiel GPH explorer to move links from one section to another)

Actually, i rebuild my whole Games folder in about 5mn!! scanning, removing emu's & other stuff, moving, and renaming some icons (i had the icons in each game's folder

By the time i'm writing this message, i was thinking about automatically scanning icons in the gMenu/icons folder, if they are not present in the game's folder
For example, giving priority to user-set icon, then check in game's directory for an icon that match the GPE's name, then look in the /icons folder... i don't know if that is already done, but it would make it easyer to maange icons :)

*edit* and also, giving a way to chose which directory to scan, and give the section the directory's name, that way it would be better for those like me who store emulators/games in seperate folders and sections :)

I know I'm asking a lot lol i don't want to overflow you Ryo :$

Has anyone figure out how to get gpfce's "-showfps" commandline to work with gmenu2x?

Everything I have tried so far either causes me to get thrown back to the menu, or black screen (crash)

another question - what about the 200mhz, showing in the 'taskbar' ? what happened to the 'default' setting? does it mean that every app is launched at the default speed of 200Mhz? or that they don't have any overclocking setting from gMenu?

another detail, the system tray is a nice feature, but it lacks an icon for USB connection ;) and maybe one day a Mixer icon, for setting the volume, like the CPU speed setting. I think this has already been considered :)

I'm back and I need to reply to a lot of posts...

Paradox posted on Sep 24 2006 at 01:38 PM said:
how does the "selector" thing work? any documentation on it?
All the documentation is on the website.

honolulu posted on Sep 24 2006 at 02:16 PM said:
but just one little question, anybody can put on the post an selector scrip exemple ? to see how I must do to use it ?
There are already some examples in the package, look at the sample squidgesnes link in "sections/games".

PokeParadox posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:38 PM said:
I think this version has issues with spaces in the directories...
I renamed "deal or no deal" to "deal" and it started working again...
Yeah, now that you tell me, I can confirm that. It is related to a change in the way programs are launched, previous version didn't support params correctly. I'll fix it for next release (as soon as I can).

subcon959 posted on Sep 24 2006 at 05:07 PM said:
Good stuff.. I have a habit of never using spaces in folder names so that didn't even occur to me.
Yeah, same with me. That's why I released without noticing the issue. I should add some folder with spaces just to test.

reiboul posted on Sep 24 2006 at 07:15 PM said:
BTW at i noticed that Volum Limiter wasn't enabled in gMenu... is that fixed?
I don't even know if it can be done and how...

a background selector might be a good idea? it's just about renaming the bg.png into (whatyouwant).png, and another into bg.png, and reloading gMenu :)
One of those features that I have planned but with low priority.

By the time i'm writing this message, i was thinking about automatically scanning icons in the gMenu/icons folder, if they are not present in the game's folder
I could put this as a low priority feature...

*edit* and also, giving a way to chose which directory to scan, and give the section the directory's name, that way it would be better for those like me who store emulators/games in seperate folders and sections :)
It's very basic now so there are lots of ways to improve it, I'll keep note of your suggestions.

PokeParadox posted on Sep 24 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
Has anyone figure out how to get gpfce's "-showfps" commandline to work with gmenu2x?
You have to remember that specifying the params option will override the default one use by the selector.
If params is empty, the selector will use this param line (quotes included) "[selPath][selFile][selExt]", if you want to specify the -showfps option and use the selector, your params whould be -showfps "[selPath][selFile][selExt]" (don't know if this is correct for gpfce)

reiboul posted on Sep 24 2006 at 07:38 PM said:
another question - what about the 200mhz, showing in the 'taskbar' ? what happened to the 'default' setting? does it mean that every app is launched at the default speed of 200Mhz? or that they don't have any overclocking setting from gMenu?
In previous versions, "default" meant that gmenu2x wouldn't have overclocker that link, also meaning that the link would have been launched at 200mhz.
Now gmenu2x is underclocked, so default is ambiguos and has been removed.

reiboul posted on Sep 24 2006 at 07:38 PM said:
another detail, the system tray is a nice feature, but it lacks an icon for USB connection ;) and maybe one day a Mixer icon, for setting the volume, like the CPU speed setting. I think this has already been considered :)
Yes, the icon for usb connection has already been considered.
I don't know for a mixer setting though. Every program controls it on its own so it would be useless.
An idea would be to save to a file in a default location the mixer current volume so that every app could access it, simulating a centralized mixer. But every developer should adhere to this and it's just an utopia.

Just on more thing.
I wanted to clarify that wrapper is not a needed setting for the selector.
The wrapper option means that gmenu2x will relaunch itself after the execution of the link, and it is useful for those programs that don't call the gp2xmenu on exit.

IMHO calling the gp2xmenu internally in every app, is BAD design (really).
This means that when a program crashes the gp2x will freeze (in reality it's not frozen, there's just no graphic application running).

Using a script, or the wrapper feature in gmenu2x, is much much better 'cause the menu will be relaunched even on a crash and it allows the user to customize the program behaviour after its termination. This can't be done if the program relaunches the menu internally.

I just had an idea.

Since gmenu2x can pass params to the programs, and gmenu2x saves its file thingy for last selected link every time. Can it also be used for a global volume thing? And passes a parameter that all devs agree to use such as volume=(0-100) or something?

Cervante posted on Sep 24 2006 at 01:08 AM said:
would it be possible to make the background animated gif?

too bad animated png seems dead since 2004 ...

then gain, there's always MNG

ryo ... this app keeps getting better! thanks again for your time and for offering amazingly quick fixes to the bugs people dug up!

Back