Release Fullspeed Amiga Emulation On Pandora!

Pleng said:

Interesting, but I kind of mean mass-produced. Electronics were never my strong point! You could wager the 'limited market' argument but if the cost wasn't so high it could also be sold as a regular USB floppy.

BUT there is no need for that.. we have adfread (adfread @ winuae.net) :)

This utility will allow you to create ADF floppy disk images from regular Amiga disks using standard PC hardware.

Wow... because PCs with 2 floppy drives are incredibly easy to come by these days (were they ever?!)!!

Last edited by a moderator:
well, as easy as ordering two floppy drives (or going out and buying two).. they are like 5$ (nec) each..

Pleng said:
Wow... because PCs with 2 floppy drives are incredibly easy to come by these days (were they ever?!)!!

wil hood said:
craigix said:
I've got a couple of DVDs of Amiga games me and some friends converted in to ADZ files, I used to sell them on CD (back before that was frowned upon) and so did many many PD CD-Rom distributors via the quarter page ads in the back of PC mags.

Paid for a year of college.

I've still got boxes of amiga disks but I don't think they would work after all this time. Would be fantastic to hook up an amiga exteral disk drive and run them direct on the pandora! That is the kind of geeky thing which would put a smile on my face. Click click click...
yeah i remember buying some cds off your website years ago

I also think I'm right when I recall that Craig also wrote a JetSetWilly remake which featured not only the original game, but most of the fan-missions available at the time. 'Twas for DOS iirc, and tbh although the games played well enough it looked awful ;-)

D.

Games programmed by Craig:
Jetset Miner Willy, Burgertime, Jumping Jack, Project X, Head over Heels, Tetris Pro , Pacman Invaders

Dunny said:
I also think I'm right when I recall that Craig also wrote a JetSetWilly remake which featured not only the original game, but most of the fan-missions available at the time. 'Twas for DOS iirc, and tbh although the games played well enough it looked awful ;-)

Over ten years ago. Feck.

Most of the tools I wrote for hacking the original tape images were also used for making GB/GBC games and editors, plus z80 disassembler + emulator.

Fun times.

craigix said:

I've still got boxes of amiga disks but I don't think they would work after all this time. Would be fantastic to hook up an amiga exteral disk drive and run them direct on the pandora! That is the kind of geeky thing which would put a smile on my face. Click click click...
With any luck they should work :) ! I have some amiga disks here too, the oldest ones must date from around '87 or '88. They all work fine, and that includes the (copy of) workbench I always used to use on my WB1.2 A500. Again of '87 or '88 vintage and used *regularly* (i.e. several times a day) up until around '91 or '92. In fact it has gone a horrible yellowy colour! But even that disk still works fine. No read errors.

I Can even remember years ago when some PC magazines used to carry a 3.5" floppy on the front if they played up in a PC and displayed bad sectors reformatting them for use in the amiga always worked - and not *one* bad sector. I still have 1 of these disks about now, and yep :) all working fine!

Is it me or were amiga disks more resliiant overall than PC formatted 720K ones?

ljones

Is it legal to obtain the old magazine coverdisks? You know, Amiga Format and the like?

If so, are there any archives I can download? I loved going through demo disks on my Amiga, great fun!

ashdjones said:
I loved going through demo disks on my Amiga, great fun!
I've tried searching for one called Biplanes, i don't think a full game was ever release but i still have the amiga format issue 33 (Apr 1992) but not the disk, and no amiga, it broke years ago.

If anyone could find that demo, that'd be greatly appreciated. I used to play it two player with my brother...really fun!

Infact a whole collection of the entire amiga format coverdisks would be so so good :eek:

ashdjones said:
Is it legal to obtain the old magazine coverdisks? You know, Amiga Format and the like?

If so, are there any archives I can download? I loved going through demo disks on my Amiga, great fun!
Try here:

http://amr.abime.net/

Choose your magazine from the horizontal list at the top just below the site logo, and then use the blue "browse coverdisks" button below the magazine's logo. The list of disks will appear, and you can click the disk piccy to get a zoomed in image (to see what's on it) and, and the "info" link below each disk to get to the download. The download link appears at the left of your screen.

They have pretty much all of them on there, as far as I know.

D.

joa said:
ashdjones said:
I loved going through demo disks on my Amiga, great fun!
I've tried searching for one called Biplanes, i don't think a full game was ever release but i still have the amiga format issue 33 (Apr 1992) but not the disk, and no amiga, it broke years ago.

If anyone could find that demo, that'd be greatly appreciated. I used to play it two player with my brother...really fun!

Infact a whole collection of the entire amiga format coverdisks would be so so good :eek:

I have Biplanes in my loft on the original disk! brilliant game it wasnt a demo as far as i remember but a free game, did you ever find the cheat? fire a bullet from one side and turn straight round fly from the left to the right and crash into your own bullet would kill the other player.
I have virtually every amiga format and amiga power cover disk also lots of original games all still work on my A1200.

Any idea how i could copy it and get it to you?

Games Im also looking forward to playing and I havent seen mentioned are Sensible golf, Wings and FA-18
Interceptor.

EDIT- Also would be good to see Body blows, Blood Money, The comic relief game?, Vikings. Some amazing games on Amiga

Looking at lemon amiga: Biplane Duel is freeware... and there is an successor called "Salmon-Pink Max". I don't know what the difference is... the screenshots are looking very similar. A comment on the site mentioned that you can also play against the computer.

craigix said:
I've got a couple of DVDs of Amiga games me and some friends converted in to ADZ files, I used to sell them on CD (back before that was frowned upon) and so did many many PD CD-Rom distributors via the quarter page ads in the back of PC mags.

For some reason, amiga disks (meaning formated on an Amiga) drives are much, much more reliable than pc disks and drives (with the exception of IBM PS/2 disk drives). Almost all of my Amiga disks from back in the 80's and early 90's work (almost none of the pc disks from the late 90's still work, even the 720k disks, EXCEPT the ones made on IBM PS/2's, the best pc disk drive ever made). Point is, most if not all, of your disks should still work.

Chris

Pleng said:
craigix said:

I've still got boxes of amiga disks but I don't think they would work after all this time. Would be fantastic to hook up an amiga exteral disk drive and run them direct on the pandora!
Hmmm I wonder why nobody ever designed an Amiga Floppy-USB adapter? Seems like an obvious candidate seeing as the PC floppy controller can't handle Amiga disks. Makes a lot morse sense then those messy internal catweazles!

That is the kind of geeky thing which would put a smile on my face. Click click click...

Yup, and you KNOW that the first utility you'd install would be the NoClick! :p

I've always wondered why they couldn't do more with the usb disk drives. Since they are not connected to a standard PC controller, why couldn't they be programmed to read/write just about any format? Do they have a standard PC disk controller chip built in to the usb drive?

Chris

christo930 said:
I've always wondered why they couldn't do more with the usb disk drives. Since they are not connected to a standard PC controller, why couldn't they be programmed to read/write just about any format? Do they have a standard PC disk controller chip built in to the usb drive?

Chris
I'm almost certain they do. It's a little unusual to have one sync mark per track like the Amiga. The PCs have one sync mark per sector. That's why Amiga disks hold so much more.

Yeah i used to love playing Bi-Planes, great little PD game....Battlecars 2 was kinda fun for a while too!
Though my all time fav Amiga game was Hunter by Activision, bloody superb spent hours and hours on that game....I even wrote (yes pen to paper!) Activision around 1996 asking if they had any plans for a sequel maybe for the PC since the Amiga had gone by that time, they wrote back to me saying they had actually thought of this before and were looking at possibilities of making a sequel for the PSX! Sadly though it never came to light..

you need to make it into an adf then transfer it to your pc. PC0 will help as you can use it to access 720kb floppys. Its found on the workbench disk under Workbench:storage/

foleyjo said:

you need to make it into an adf then transfer it to your pc. PC0 will help as you can use it to access 720kb floppys. Its found on the workbench disk under Workbench:storage/

Unfortunately that all went way over my head.! Im happy to put all my PD games available for people to download and take the time to do them(as I say i think I have every PD game published on prob 80% of amiga format and 95% of amiga power) but if someone could explain the process very simply for me then that would make it possible as I have no knowledge of programming, copying stuff, changing formats building PC's etc etc at all.

stustaff said:
foleyjo said:
stustaff said:

Unfortunately that all went way over my head.! Im happy to put all my PD games available for people to download and take the time to do them(as I say i think I have every PD game published on prob 80% of amiga format and 95% of amiga power) but if someone could explain the process very simply for me then that would make it possible as I have no knowledge of programming, copying stuff, changing formats building PC's etc etc at all.

From your Amiga you need to unpack ADF Blitzer to your hard drive using LhA. To get LhA you download http://aminet.net/util/arc/LhA_e138.run. When you run the LhA_e138.run file it will unpack in the current directory of your hard drive. Doing all of this can be done from Workbench assuming you have version 2.04 or better and have the "show all files" item checked in one of the menus.

If your Amiga doesn't have an internet hookup, you'll have to use your PC to download them and copy them to a 720k floppy. To get your Amiga to read the 720k floppy you'll need to start a CLI and type "mount PC0:" then "endcli". Then continue with the instructions in the previous paragraph.

In order to get ADFBlitzer to unpack you drag LhA to c: and start up the CLI. Type "lha x adfblitzer.lha sys:" and ADFBlitzer should unpack in the root directory of your boot partition of your hard drive. You can then type "endcli" in the CLI and it will go away.

From Workbench double-click the ADFBlitzer icon and follow the instructions. (I'm assuming you have a standard install of Workbench and 2 megs of RAM with the Ruby font installed for nice wide readable text since it is required by ADFblitzer.) To get the disk converted to .ADF format you'll have to look at the options on ADF Blitzer since I've not used this program myself.

Once you've got the .ADF file created, you can either upload it from your Amiga if it has an internet connection. Otherwise you'll have to compress it with LhA and then copy it to the PC floppy using the PC0: drive mount and transport it to your PC and upload it from there.

Samurai_Crow said:
From your Amiga you need to unpack ADF Blitzer to your hard drive using LhA. To get LhA you download http://aminet.net/util/arc/LhA_e138.run. When you run the LhA_e138.run file it will unpack in the current directory of your hard drive. Doing all of this can be done from Workbench assuming you have version 2.04 or better and have the "show all files" item checked in one of the menus.

If your Amiga doesn't have an internet hookup, you'll have to use your PC to download them and copy them to a 720k floppy. To get your Amiga to read the 720k floppy you'll need to start a CLI and type "mount PC0:" then "endcli". Then continue with the instructions in the previous paragraph.

In order to get ADFBlitzer to unpack you drag LhA to c: and start up the CLI. Type "lha x adfblitzer.lha sys:" and ADFBlitzer should unpack in the root directory of your boot partition of your hard drive. You can then type "endcli" in the CLI and it will go away.

From Workbench double-click the ADFBlitzer icon and follow the instructions. (I'm assuming you have a standard install of Workbench and 2 megs of RAM with the Ruby font installed for nice wide readable text since it is required by ADFblitzer.) To get the disk converted to .ADF format you'll have to look at the options on ADF Blitzer since I've not used this program myself.

Once you've got the .ADF file created, you can either upload it from your Amiga if it has an internet connection. Otherwise you'll have to compress it with LhA and then copy it to the PC floppy using the PC0: drive mount and transport it to your PC and upload it from there.

Thanks I'll give this a go It will be a couple of weeks as away on business next week and then got to go get it all from my mums attic, Im sure ill have questions when I do it(Like whats a CLI? etc)

also have my CD32 and a lot of games I assume there is nothing I can do with those?

Back