Release Assembled Pandora Video

EvilDragon said:
Marko said:
Awesome. Great to see it in action. Hope the hard to press d pad doesn't carry over..just and FDM issue.
Not FDM issue, but prototype keymat issue. The rubber is pretty stiff on those prototypes, won't be like that in the final version :)

Ahh, that's cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
MWeston said:
It's done uploading and now it is processing. This will be the link: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=6MaIQYHd23A

How extremely fitting: In the middle of watching the video of the first assembled working prototype of the Pandora I received an email from Jacquelyn, with my bank transfer reception confirmation! :D
/me happy camper.

Very nice. Did anyone else pay any attention to the power LED? Notice that the entire bar lit up?

It's made my day to see the prototype in action.

Keep those videos & updates coming please.

Good luck to all the team for the end of the beginning and hopefully soon the beginning of the end!

Wow, wow, wow! The video is awesome, I can't wait. Lucky duck, he's the first one to have a working Pandora in his hands. :p

MDave said:
I LOVE the thickness!
Same here. It's going to feel substantial, solid, and confident. That's how I like my handhelds. :)

peca said:
WizardStan said:
Very nice. Did anyone else pay any attention to the power LED? Notice that the entire bar lit up?
Yes, I spot this. Seems cute :)Hmm, I didn't see this at all. Where did you spot those lights?

javaJake said:
peca said:
WizardStan said:
Yes, I spot this. Seems cute :)Hmm, I didn't see this at all. Where did you spot those lights?Halfway through, when the lights go out so we can see the screen better, notice the power LED on the right. The whole bar is lit, as opposed to just a single light in the original, and in EDs renders. It's nothing major, just a "cute" little bit of detail.

WizardStan said:
javaJake said:
peca said:
WizardStan said:
Yes, I spot this. Seems cute :)Hmm, I didn't see this at all. Where did you spot those lights?Halfway through, when the lights go out so we can see the screen better, notice the power LED on the right. The whole bar is lit, as opposed to just a single light in the original, and in EDs renders. It's nothing major, just a "cute" little bit of detail.You know how we're all dying for detail. ;)

I assume you're talking about the little glimmer/reflection at 3:19. It's pretty dim, and on the wrong side, but I guess it could be power LED's.

javaJake said:
I assume you're talking about the little glimmer/reflection at 3:19. It's pretty dim, and on the wrong side, but I guess it could be power LED's.
Uh... no? It's pretty obvious. Starting at 3:15 and running all the way to the end, the lights go out, and the LED bar on the right (which corresponds to the power/charge LED according to the renderings) is a solid green glow. The renderings show the power and charge LEDs as being separate and distinct, so it makes me wonder what kind of interesting effects this can be used for.

Actually, I stuffed a small piece of white paper in each of the light bar holes, hoping it would bring the LED light to the surface so you could see the power light and the SD card accesses. The power LED reflection worked but the SD card accesses are just little blips and they didn't show up on the camera at all.

I did get little FDM representations of the light pipes made, but they are solid white and not made to pass light through so I left them off.

MWeston said:
I did get little FDM representations of the light pipes made, but they are solid white and not made to pass light through so I left them off.
Will the final "light pipes" completely transparent or are they toned, maybe a little bit in the black direction? Could be look good and it still would let the light pass through. And When the Pandora is off, you only see a plain black surface. B)

MWeston said:
Actually, I stuffed a small piece of white paper in each of the light bar holes, hoping it would bring the LED light to the surface so you could see the power light and the SD card accesses. The power LED reflection worked but the SD card accesses are just little blips and they didn't show up on the camera at all.
Aww. Now you've shattered all my hopes and dreams of pretty colour blending :(

I think if they're clear, they'll probably look black when the lights are off anyway.
Unless there's something reflective inside the case and light is getting in there somehow.

WizardStan said:
Aww. Now you've shattered all my hopes and dreams of pretty colour blending :(
You could disassemble the unit and grind the surface of the clear plastic bar on the inside a little bit. That will spread the light ;)

mali said:
You could disassemble the unit and grind the surface of the clear plastic bar on the inside a little bit. That will spread the light ;)

Someone get me a screwdriver.

Despellanion said:
Why does the plastic area around the buttons look so dirty and rough?
It's the nature of the FDM process. It's like printing the case in 3D. The machine splits the model into cross sections, and then spreads plastic to fill in that cross section. Then moves up and does the next cross section. The end result is expensive, takes a long time, and leaves visual imperfections, but it's good enough as a proof before going onto the more accurate CNC and final injection molds.

Back