Release Assembled Pandora Video

WizardStan said:
Despellanion said:
Why does the plastic area around the buttons look so dirty and rough?
It's the nature of the FDM process. It's like printing the case in 3D. The machine splits the model into cross sections, and then spreads plastic to fill in that cross section. Then moves up and does the next cross section. The end result is expensive, takes a long time, and leaves visual imperfections, but it's good enough as a proof before going onto the more accurate CNC and final injection molds.

Oh I see. I was affraid that it was like that the end result would be instead of a smooth surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw the new video, assembled prototype running Angström...
Actually, I thought GIMP loading was slow - one whole minute - I wonder, was it running for the first time (always quite slow, does a few things about 'new' plugins), or was Pandora just running at 600MHz-ish and with the OS on some slow SD card?

A few experiments
After 'cold boot' (cache drop, actually), GIMP loads in 12 secs on my laptop... 3 or 4 secs to reopen once it was closed. So disk speed matters (however, is it raw throughput or seek times?)
I get 35MB/s hard disk read speed over contiguous 1Gb... that's probably much faster than the SD card used to test the OS. But then, no seek times. Aw, but SD is high latency anyway.
Ok, let's raise a fund to buy MWeston a proper SD card. :D

MilanC said:
I just saw the new video, assembled prototype running Angström...
Actually, I thought GIMP loading was slow - one whole minute - I wonder, was it running for the first time (always quite slow, does a few things about 'new' plugins), or was Pandora just running at 600MHz-ish and with the OS on some slow SD card?
It was loading firefox up at the same time, and we know how slow that can be even on desktop pc's. ;)

Well, the strangest thing is that Firefox loaded much faster, and had even already been closed before GIMP was up...

And it was playing an MP3.

I guess that demo was not such a great idea looking back.

MP3, firefox and gimp all loading at the same time.

Ah, wait until Ed gets his unit and it will all be cool as you can request videos until you get blue in the face...

craigix said:
And it was playing an MP3.

I guess that demo was not such a great idea looking back.

MP3, firefox and gimp all loading at the same time.

Ah, wait until Ed gets his unit and it will all be cool as you can request videos until you get blue in the face...
I disagree, that is an excellent posting.
Nothing I saw there discouraged me in the least.
Looks like Firefox took priority in the load process, and Gimp came in second.
The speeds were easily faster than my 1.2Ghz "old" Pentium IV computer running Linux.
Real world testing is fine by me.

No not a bad demo at all. I mean it sets the expectations straight nonetheless: Overload it and it will start to get slow. After all, it's not a quad core with 4 GB of RAM.

It would be nice to see the CPU load as a perpetual window on the screen while this kind of stuff is happening.

It was proof that it could do it, not proof that it could do it fast. Yes we want a device that can multitask but lets not expect it to cure cancer and walk on water... at least not just yet anyway. :p

It'll get faster as the optimization gets better, it's never going to be as fast as a full laptop doing everything at once but I'm sure it'll be respectable once it gets tightened up.

It was a great demo, but showed how much we need a customized Firefox theme, as the menus took up 1/3rd of the space.

I wonder, how long Open office 3.0 would need to boot, it isn't very fast even onto 2GHz Machines and my antique Office PC (900MHz, around 300MB RAM) needs it's minute to load :D
I don't need OO onto the Pandora but a nice, small and fast writing application would be not bad. :) How good is this "Abi Word" I've heard a while ago?

Abiword? It's not pretty, but it's a lot faster than OO, it's based on GTK, and it works pretty well. It does all the same stuff as far as file compatibility goes, I think. No reason why it shouldn't, OO and Abi are both open projects, they should be sharing code.

There's also SciTE, which is more programming than word processing. If Scite isn't available at launch, I might try porting it.

MWeston said:
I am uploading a new video to YouTube with the functional demonstration of an assembled unit. It's an 800MB video and unfortunately that means it might take about 5 hours to upload on my connection. Keep an eye out for it to appear but it's going to be a while....

Here's a nice piece of freeware that can save you some time on those uploads:
http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Hotcooler said:
I'd recomend Xvid4psp to convert stuff under Windows. Great piece of software and laso free. http://www.winnydows.com

I also recommend this app!
don't judge it by it's name (because it really started as a xvid 4 psp converter) but it has evolved way beyond that.
also, winnydows is a very nice guy :)

for dvd->video, I'd say HandBreak is also a very handy app

craigix said:
Yeah, AbiWord is a much more slim and fast program, it's likely we will be using that.
What can we use for a spreadsheet?

Back