Release Hugo-Pandora V1.1.0

SteveM said:
Nice work - looks like I can finally put my "awful" port to rest! Unless anyone's particularly attached to it, I'd suggest this version replace the existing one on the archive and app store.

I'm curious to know how you fixed the grumbling sound (assuming you even had that problem in the first place).

Interesting idea for an appstore feature 'This emulator is dead, it's only here for historic reasons - please download this alt emulator instead!'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig, please add that - I suspect it could become incredibly handy in times to come. :p

Oh god yeah. Don't end up like DCemu, where I can never figure out which are the decent emulators, and which are the unoptimised first ports.

It's done. Just add the text 'this emulator is dead' to your app description to kill it.

Steves Hugo emu is the first app to die.

Exophase said:
I'm not noticing any pauses or stutters when playing normally.. maybe your experiences will be different from mine, and I'm sure you'll tell me if that's the case.
Actually I probably won't be able to tell you as I would never use the netplay feature :p I am not perpetually near a wifi hotspot like everyone else seems to be for some reason, actually super rare for me to be near one.

I actually think netplay will be more popular than you do. Understand, it's not meant for two people to play in the same room, it's meant for people to play over the internet. PC-Engine actually has a large library of good multiplayer games (although my netplay will only support 2 player, at least for the time being). I also intend for people to eventually be able to play against not just other Pandora users, but users of iPhone, Android phones, Wiz if the support is ever there..
Yeah no way to know for sure. I would just guess if people are netgaming they would probably be doing WoW, battlefield XXXXVII or those other things and not playing Bomberman. I sure could be wrong though.

I'll release it w/o the netplay if I end up not getting it in a state I'm happy with. But for right now I'm trying my best to improve it. I like my releases to be substantial and not half done; with the Hu-Go ports out I think everyone can bear to wait a little longer.
Well except many of us play the CD titles which HuGo won't do and it is not fullspeed either. I wouldn't think of something that had just the same features of the GP2X/Wiz ports to be half done really. I guess you want to make your entry with a bang on the Pandora with another feature which is understandable. My choice in that area would probably to have made it compatible with more of the actual games such as Supergrafx and Arcade card support etc. Although I don't know how much work that would be, must be a real pain though as no emu seems to support those. That would have probably got more use than netplay but again who knows, and it is not my choice so I wait. I still have a Wiz :)

DaveC said:
Well except many of us play the CD titles which HuGo won't do and it is not fullspeed either. I wouldn't think of something that had just the same features of the GP2X/Wiz ports to be half done really. I guess you want to make your entry with a bang on the Pandora with another feature which is understandable. My choice in that area would probably to have made it compatible with more of the actual games such as Supergrafx and Arcade card support etc. Although I don't know how much work that would be, must be a real pain though as no emu seems to support those. That would have probably got more use than netplay but again who knows, and it is not my choice so I wait. I still have a Wiz :)

It already has arcade card support...

Lying in bed playing bomberman online > sitting on table with loud PC playing battflefield XXXXXVIII~ while back hurts ;)

So count me in for netplay.

If there's any chance for a master server listing all current servers and if that'd be accessible via the emu itself, that would make things EXTREMELY convenient and surely a huge success. "type in ip address" would work as well, but it would be a pain in the butt to having to always find open servers / people with too much free time.
Nevertheless, i'm really excited here :)

Esn said:
Wouldn't it be easy to tell which one is the "best" emulator - just by comparing the upload dates?
No, just dcemu out, people start new emulators for systems that already have them using their own code or hacked code, but not always better than established ones that people have chosen because they are better, plus some emulators are faster and some are more compatible, steves Hugo port was neither and he's letting It lie :p

DaveC said:
Pandoras are rare and I would think it even rarer to get two in the same room that want to play 2-player PC-engine games.
Having 2 pandoras in 1 room is useless unless you use USB cable or working access point, ad-hoc doesn't (yet?) work.

DaveC said:
Network managers in the background just cause annoying pauses and stutters and many are disabling that to avoid this now anyway. Just a thought.
It only does that when scanning for networks, when connected it's fine.

Esn said:
Wouldn't it be easy to tell which one is the "best" emulator - just by comparing the upload dates?

In my opinion, best emulator doesn't mean anything. They all have different features with advantages and drawbacks.
Why do we want to keep only one ?

In my hugo port, i like to search my own cheat using the simple memory search function (i haven't seen this in any other version).

Thanx for this relise.

just a small thing.
In the readme.txt it still says:

4. LOADING ROM FILES (.pce)

-----------------------
If you want to load rom image in your emulator, you have to put

your rom file (with .pce file extension) on your Dingoo

SD card in the 'roms' directory.

I dont have a Dingoo SD card ... so I dont know where to put the roms folder... ;)

(as I said a minor problem that I will probably find an answer to after some trial and error testing.
But if you want to make it easy for new users like me you could maybe change that text to something more informative.)

Thanx again :)

Exophase said:
I actually think netplay will be more popular than you do. Understand, it's not meant for two people to play in the same room, it's meant for people to play over the internet. PC-Engine actually has a large library of good multiplayer games (although my netplay will only support 2 player, at least for the time being). I also intend for people to eventually be able to play against not just other Pandora users, but users of iPhone, Android phones, Wiz if the support is ever there..

Ohhh... I'd love to play a 4-Players-Bomberman match sometime in the future :D

Last edited:
Endurion said:
Thanx for this relise.

just a small thing.
In the readme.txt it still says:....

(as I said a minor problem that I will probably find an answer to after some trial and error testing.
But if you want to make it easy for new users like me you could maybe change that text to something more informative.)

Thanx again :)

thanks for your feedback. I have to sed all Dingoo by Pandora in the README file. Anyway the help in the emulator is up to date, and it's cleary written :
If you want to load rom image in your emulator, you have to put your
rom file (with .pce file extension) on your Pandora SD card in the
'roms' directory.

In the README i mentioned CD-rom, and it's not supported. It's a first release so don't expect to have a 100% polished package.

EvilDragon said:
Ohhh... I'd love to play a 4-Players-Bomberman match sometime in the future :D

After seeing Hugo-Pandora up yesterday I've spent an unhealthy amount of time on Bomberman :\ It's a dangerous game o_O :p

This emulator is amazing. My only slight disappointment is that the sound wouldn't work in Dungeon Explorer (Turbografx-16).

Endurion said:
I dont have a Dingoo SD card ... so I dont know where to put the roms folder... ;)

As far as I can tell, you can put the Roms folder wherever you like, and just browse for it in Hugo. I like having a Roms folder on the SD root, and then sub-folders for all the different systems to be emulated :)

Dear Sir, this emulator is ace. :)

Also, if you port the SAM Coupé to the Pandora, I may be convinced to have your babies. And considering that would first require the painful insertion of a womb and ovaries up my willy-hole, you can see how much this means to me.

Yes, thanx.

I do hope my small comment did not offend you. if so that was not the meaning.
I do understand that it is a first release and as I was writing it I had not yet run the program so I was not able to see the directories that would be created.

I was thinking if I only knew what directory I should put the roms in now, I would not have to take my sd card back to my computer later to put the files in the right place.

so if it had stood something like:

If you want to load rom image in your emulator, you have to put your
rom file (with .pce file extension) on your Pandora SD card in the pandora/appdata/hugo/roms folder that gets created when you start hugo for the first time.

I could have fixed it directly.

Now it is and was no big deal so it is no problem in any case.

Thank you for all greate emulators you port, like this one.
I know that you are quite busy, so thanx also for taking the time to read and give response to my question.

Endurion said:
I do hope my small comment did not offend you. if so that was not the meaning.

no i any case, don't worry. all comments / feedback are interresting :)

Wolfsclaw said:
Lying in bed playing bomberman online > sitting on table with loud PC playing battflefield XXXXXVIII~ while back hurts ;)

So count me in for netplay.

If there's any chance for a master server listing all current servers and if that'd be accessible via the emu itself, that would make things EXTREMELY convenient and surely a huge success. "type in ip address" would work as well, but it would be a pain in the butt to having to always find open servers / people with too much free time.
Nevertheless, i'm really excited here :)

Not how it'll work, it'll be strictly peer to peer, with one person "serving" just to have an IP to form a socket connection to. I'll probably make an IRC channel to go find people to play with.

Back