Release First prodcution samples of Pandora keymat

Re: First production samples of Pandora keymat

It's a good compromise. I can't expect everything out of such a small keyboard.
But I think I might start a thread to discuss a software re-mapping for programmers / shell users. I'm definitely going to need better Tab and / access for mobile programming.

But for general use, this looks fine.

second.exodous said:
Hmm, that sucks how 'Tab' is a Fn key, in the Linux command line Tab is the most used key, if you're not using it you're too slow. Tab is used to complete file names/paths so you don't need to type them all out by hand. It's a life saver for long file names where it begins with a different character than the rest of the files. Can Tab be configured to one of the a, b, x, y, or whatever-they'll-be-called buttons when in the command line? The bottom button would be perfect as it's close to the keys themselves.

I do remember there was some kind of poll, I voted and I thought the importance of Tab was mentioned. I don't see where it could have been put though, so I'm not upset. Hopefully the command line will never have to be used.

Here is a site that explains how Tab works in the Linux world.

But I'm not upset, they look great and I'm extremely excited that the Pandora is one step closer to being finished.

Understanding the importance of Tab, I see it's placement as quite insightful. You should just have to press Space and Fn at the same time (seeing as how they are right next to each other) to pull off a Tab, right? That seems just as fast as having a dedicated key.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
That was MWeston's design idea, IIRC EvilDragon had a much different plan. (namely using The shoulders as Left and Right Click)

This sounds familiar, too (and it'd let me alt-drag a window without needing three hands!). What was the solution for middle-clicking? The good, ol' two-button emulation?

I'd also like to point out that for the vast majority of users I would expect the command line to be rarely (if ever) used. Trying to dedicate a one touch key solely for a feature that will see only a small user base seems like a poor design choice.

WizardStan said:
I'd also like to point out that for the vast majority of users I would expect the command line to be rarely (if ever) used. Trying to dedicate a one touch key solely for a feature that will see only a small user base seems like a poor design choice.

In their defense, it's not like Tab doesn't have at least 20 other uses. They were just stating the use that they wouldhave needed it for the most.

-God Ginrai

I love the color scheme. Looks much better than I thought it would. Cool stuff.

Now if only we had a concrete release date

Michael's clear design was the best for the Pandora so why not use it? This new one looks like utter crap. Main keys font too blobby and underrepresented, too large(TAB { } %), or too small(space) and Pandora key too squished. Everything looks so amatuerish.
This was great: http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99 ... _mike3.jpg
This is shit: http://www.pandoratr.com/images/gallery ... matPSB.jpg

I hope it gets polished up with some serious talent. At least put the fonts on a diet please.
Did George Lucas come up with this revision? I didn't pay for this. :(

rmm21 said:
Michael's clear design was the best for the Pandora so why not use it? This new one looks like utter crap. Main keys font too blobby and underrepresented, too large(TAB { } %), or too small(space) and Pandora key too squished. Everything looks so amatuerish.

I hope it gets polished up with some serious talent. At least put the fonts on a diet please.

This design isn't half as bad as you make it out to be. Have some class. If you have a complaint, let it be noted, but there is no point in over-the-top bitching.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
This design isn't half as bad as you make it out to be. Have some class. If you have a complaint, let it be noted, but there is no point in over-the-top bitching.
No no, he has a valid complaint. I think the bike shed should be blue!

God Ginrai said:
Why do you guys have the text Ctrl and Alt on Select and Start?
If they're not labeled I'll never remember which is which.

Why wouldn't you label them?

just generate confusion
You honestly think that labeling Alt and CTRL buttons "ALT" and "CTRL" will cause confusion?

If that label absolutely has to be simplified (and I don't think it does) I would rather the buttons have the real labels ALT and CTRL, not their "in game" labels.

ah, the keyboard layout wars are starting again... how i missed that :D

just afraid cosurgi will be really pissed.

'J' is a bit larger than the rest.

Catastrophic obviously.

bzar said:
Great news! Should the "Create the keymat mould (takes 20 - 25 days)" in the road map be striked out?

EDIT: No it shouldn't. Those are samples so the mould isn't ready yet, right?

I think that the mold is finished, but the plastics being used either aren't as high quality as the final plastics, or they're just getting a few off the line to make sure that everything is ok with the printing and all before they mass produce them with the final, hard coating (and it's too late to make any changes).

Asmo said:
'J' is a bit larger than the rest.

Catastrophic obviously.
There are certain fonts where the J has a descender as seems to be the case here; the glyph was just centered instead of getting a baseline adjustment. But we'll be able to live with that I guess.

VRAndy said:
God Ginrai said:
Why do you guys have the text Ctrl and Alt on Select and Start?
If they're not labeled I'll never remember which is which.

Why wouldn't you label them?

just generate confusion
You honestly think that labeling Alt and CTRL buttons "ALT" and "CTRL" will cause confusion?

If that label absolutely has to be simplified (and I don't think it does) I would rather the buttons have the real labels ALT and CTRL, not their "in game" labels.

Those were start and Select buttons long before they were Ctrl and Alt. Also, anyone who tried to use a Pandora where the Start and Select keys were remapped to have some other function, like Compose, Super, or Meta would easily be more confused by it explicitly saying "Ctrl" and "Alt" because then the text is in conflict of the positions they are trying to remember. If you can't remember which is which, how did you EVER get by in video games, where actions are set to specific nondescript buttons?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
rmm21 said:

-God Ginrai
Like it all you want, but I don't have to and I won't like staring at the fatty font for long. Quite a lot of my money went toward the Pandora and i'm disappointed in this design that even MWeston had envisioned differently.

My opinion is just as valid as yours so quit the juvenile forum intimidation.

rmm21 said:
Quite a lot of my money went toward the Pandora
Please don't try to pull that argument here. Exactly the same amount of your money went towards it as everyone else on the board, which pales in comparison to the amount of money and effort that the devs have already sunk into it. If you have a legitimate complaint, you can make it without acting like entitled.

How will the Fn Lock work? As it is written in blue above the FN key you can hardly FN it. Is it a toggle button or a long hold?

Possitve feed back:
Tidy the font issues. I want to be proud of my Pandora and show it off to those that would not understand the beauty of a wonky Y.
Invert the increase/decrease Brightness. Just too much blue on the key. Just a blue bulb and chevron would look clear and crisp, else make the bulb and chevrons bolder.

Other than than I'm happy. Good job, and if there is a clear case in the same country* as the mats. PUT ONE IN AND POST A PIC. (not shouting. Just sort of said that a bit too loud as I'm so excited)

*-Could we GPRS tag the various parts and track them on Google Earth? When they all move to the same place and then start moving on, then it will be time to get very excited.

rmm21 said:
God Ginrai said:
rmm21 said:

-God Ginrai
Like it all you want, but I don't have to and I won't like staring at the fatty font for long. Quite a lot of my money went toward the Pandora and i'm disappointed in this design that even MWeston had envisioned differently.

My opinion is just as valid as yours so quit the juvenile forum intimidation.

First of all, you're the only one being juvenile here. I told you that if you have a problem that you are free to express it. However, you shouldn't try to debase the work of the Pandora team in such a way that you did. It's fine to complain, but being an ass for no other reason than to just be an ass is just low.

-God Ginrai

may88 said:
How will the Fn Lock work? As it is written in blue above the FN key you can hardly FN it. Is it a toggle button or a long hold?

This was already answered, here's the tl;dr version:

It's both. You can hold it down and press another key, but if you tap it, it will lock.
This is a little weird, and I've never seen it implemented this way, but I trust they'll make it work.

Back