Release First prodcution samples of Pandora keymat

I must say, there is nothing I hate about this layout. It's not the layout I would have used, and I will be changing things slightly, but even as I may wish a key had a different symbol on it, I can at least see why that symbol might be there and how it could be useful. Some of the other layouts that were proposed (and got a lot of votes) just made me :twisted:

Mithrildor said:
-How can switch to Fn Lock (shift + Fn?)
Press Fn once, release, then press it again. Sticky keys work, apparently. Same would apply if you wanted (for example) a capital S: press the shift key with your left thumb, release it, then press the S key.

I am content with this. I saw a mockup long, long ago where I believe one of the shoulder buttons was acting as a Compose key. Does that reflect the final, default settings or was that just a wishlist jpeg? And if the latter, will the shoulder buttons be easy to map to Compose (that is, does Xkb see it as a regular key?)? I mean, while I don't have major issues with the layout here, there are always characters that I like to have easy access to. After all, isn't it a sad thing that no keyboard out there has '♥'?

The keymat mould is done, it's how they made these samples. ;) Just waiting on the main case mould now. Which is waiting on MWeston, who is waiting for the clear prototype.

Gruso said:
The keymat mould is done, it's how they made these samples. ;) Just waiting on the main case mould now. Which is waiting on MWeston, who is waiting for the clear prototype.
Whew, thanks for the info. I was right first and then wrong. So I was 50% right. Right?

So the item should be marked as done?

EvilDragon said:
Hm, true, the Y is higher than it should.
Gotta check it out.

Won't delay anything, as it doesn't affect the mould ;)

Why do you guys have the text Ctrl and Alt on Select and Start? I understand that you might want to map those keys to Select and Start, but you still shouldn't put subtext on it. Start and Select buttons should never have subtext on them, just "Start" and "Select". It's fine to keep the keymaps set to have Start and Select be Alt and Ctrl, because the user can always change that, but having that extra text crowding an already small button will just generate confusion and make those buttons harder to read.

I mean, it's not that hard to remember where control and alt are, you don't need some sort of label telling you. And in this case, I think the label is aesthetically unpleasant.[/rant]

EDIT: BTW, The D looks a little high, as well, but maybe that's just me.

-God Ginrai

Really nice ^^ We can finally see it! :)
The Y/N should be higher, as well as the M (maybe) :D

Seriously speaking, I was wondering about a way to get compose functionality, too. Not that big concern! Just wondering. And by the way this is not a problem even if I was not told untill the first panda is shipped ^^

Oh no, wait... the Any key is missing!!!! This keyb is not n00bproof ^^

kattle87 said:
The Y/N should be higher, as well as the M (maybe) :D

Seriously speaking, I was wondering about a way to get compose functionality, too. Not that big concern! Just wondering. And by the way this is not a problem even if I was not told untill the first panda is shipped ^^

Oh no, wait... the Any key is missing!!!! This keyb is not n00bproof ^^

The Anykey is that big button next to the FN key.

-God Ginrai

im anyways glad that we got to see the pics of the keymould thingy.
I really hope to see a picture of the real pandora soon. not the prototype, but the real finished unit.
and the boxshots will also be nice^^.

Here's a boxshot:
ups_box.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

kattle87 said:
Seriously speaking, I was wondering about a way to get compose functionality, too.

Oh, here it is:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MWeston_2007/Pandora_mike3.jpg

It looks fairly similar to the final layout, except for the alternates for Fn(H), Fn(J) and Sh(1). It claims also that Shoulder L is Compose, Shoulder R is AltGr, button Y is left-click, button X is middle-click and button A is right-click. And left nub is Mouse Move and right nub is Mouse Scroll.

Did the design move well past this heavily-artifacted jpeg, or were the mappings for those buttons accepted into it?

chole said:
kattle87 said:
Seriously speaking, I was wondering about a way to get compose functionality, too.

Oh, here it is:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MWeston_2007/Pandora_mike3.jpg

It looks fairly similar to the final layout, except for the alternates for Fn(H), Fn(J) and Sh(1). It claims also that Shoulder L is Compose, Shoulder R is AltGr, button Y is left-click, button X is middle-click and button A is right-click. And left nub is Mouse Move and right nub is Mouse Scroll.

Did the design move well past this heavily-artifacted jpeg, or are were the mappings for those buttons accepted into it?

That was MWeston's design idea, IIRC EvilDragon had a much different plan. (namely using The shoulders as Left and Right Click)

-God Ginrai

borgqueenx said:
im curious how easy the buttons are going to be pressed.
is it like the keyboard on a notebook? or like the start button on a psp or ds?
Someone already knows? ^^

Should be like normal game buttons.

-God Ginrai

OMG there's no Windows Key! :eek: What else am I going to catch by accident to interupt my game? :wink:

Could someone put a mat in a case and post a picture of that. That's a pandora mat in a pandora case before you get any ideas - bzar!

edit:typo

Hmm, that sucks how 'Tab' is a Fn key, in the Linux command line Tab is the most used key, if you're not using it you're too slow. Tab is used to complete file names/paths so you don't need to type them all out by hand. It's a life saver for long file names where it begins with a different character than the rest of the files. Can Tab be configured to one of the a, b, x, y, or whatever-they'll-be-called buttons when in the command line? The bottom button would be perfect as it's close to the keys themselves.

I do remember there was some kind of poll, I voted and I thought the importance of Tab was mentioned. I don't see where it could have been put though, so I'm not upset. Hopefully the command line will never have to be used.

Here is a site that explains how Tab works in the Linux world.

But I'm not upset, they look great and I'm extremely excited that the Pandora is one step closer to being finished.

Back