Release Scummvm: “1.2.0 Preview 1” For The Openpandora.

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
Sorry this preview release has come out so much later then the ones for the GPH devices but real life can be a bitch ;).

Anyway, http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=132 has all the details and downloads and http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/OpenPandora shows the control options that are new in this release.

If you have feedback and you want me to read it leave comments on this forum post or on my blog, bug reports/feature requests etc. are also welcome via the ScummVM trackers.

Gotta love a new Scummvm!! Another thing to play when my replacement Panda gets here(fingers crossed for next week!!)

Mine seems to hang on "Mass add", after scanning 27 directories and discovering 22 new games. Connecting via ssh looks the scummvm executable is using 99% cpu, so it did not crash, but the screen is totally unresponsive (no mouse/keys work).

There is nothing noteworty on the pndrun log.

EDIT: it hangs after adding 2 times the same game (KQ IV SCI remake), for which I have only one (but I have the non-remake one).

Just made a quick test with Touche: Can confirm the dreaded out-of-sync-bug of the touchscreen when moving outside of a window is now fixed.
Totally awesome :D

COMI in proper hires... need to put that on my SD Card. Thanks a lot :D

Hey John,

Great work - Thanks!

Does this version support scaling through the menu? The scaling menu on the previous version didnt do anything....

I have been digging my collection for broken sword 1/2 to use it with the new release when it comes out (sensed that there will be one after all the other boys got a new release ;) ) but unfortunately I still can't find it.

Did anyone test Broken Sword 1/2 with this release?

Hitnrun said:
Mine seems to hang on "Mass add", after scanning 27 directories and discovering 22 new games. Connecting via ssh looks the scummvm executable is using 99% cpu, so it did not crash, but the screen is totally unresponsive (no mouse/keys work).

There is nothing noteworty on the pndrun log.

EDIT: it hangs after adding 2 times the same game (KQ IV SCI remake), for which I have only one (but I have the non-remake one).

Hey Hitnrun,

can you try adding the same set of games (or just KQ IV) to the desktop ScummVM (*nix, Windows etc. will do) via both 'Mass Add' and 'Add Game'. I make no changes to the game detection engine in the backend so it's likely that there is an issue either with your files (are they ripped from your own disks or *cough*?) or the detection code (it works on checking MD5's of small parts of key game files).

jonlad1 said:
Hey John,

Great work - Thanks!

Does this version support scaling through the menu? The scaling menu on the previous version didnt do anything....

Define what you mean by scaling? I have chosen to keep the OpenPandora release full screen and by default scale 320*xxx game screens to 640*xxx (using a very nice ARM ASM 2X scaler). I am not supporting windowing or running the games as a 320*xxx non-scaled surface.

That said 'Aspect Ratio Correction' scaling should be working fine (well there may be an issue clearing the overlay from the bottom few pixels if it is turned off actually). You can set it globally or in each games options and it will respect the choice if it is appropriate for the game in question (not all games have a 320*200/640*400 game area so correction is not always applicable).

By default 'Aspect Ratio Correction' is always on and games will be scaled as originally intended (on CRT screens with non-square pixels) if applicable.

sehs33 said:
I have been digging my collection for broken sword 1/2 to use it with the new release when it comes out (sensed that there will be one after all the other boys got a new release ;) ) but unfortunately I still can't find it.

Did anyone test Broken Sword 1/2 with this release?

I quickly tested BS2 with DXA cut scenes and did not hit any issues. I have not tested BS1 with this release but I have no reason to expect issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
jonlad1 said:
Can games be run full screen ie 800x480?

No, not unless the game originally worked with that aspect ratio (so scales to 800*480 1:1).

I do not support scaling games in a non liner fashion. Sorry, that's just the way it is, at the moment I scale the screen 1:1 to get close to full screen.

If someone wants to hack in a non 1:1 scaler then by all means submit a patch but I won't be doing it :) .

This may well change in time when the backend moves to OpenGLes (not a short term goal) as just scaling the surface to whatever may be needed is somewhat easier (I can just offer, "Full Screen (aspect)", Full Screen (stretch)" and "Unscaled (borders)" and be done with it ;) , let OpenGL worry about the specifics.

What I do plan to offer in time (i.e. not soon and maybe never ;) ) is support for running the GUI on the full 800*480 screen (actually, this works but is disabled in the 1.2.0 releases as there are bugs). I may also add support for scaling games with 'Aspect Ratio Correction' off to more of the screen (i.e. 320*200 would have an option to get scaled to something like 768*480 rather than 640*400 with boarders at the bottom and sides).

None of this will get done with the 1.2.0 release.

Quick question - I was foolish enough to forget to create a save path for the previous version of SCUMMVM, so my saves didnt transfer (seeing as it doesnt know where to look for them). Where is the default directory for the saves so I can copy and move them to the save folder, please?

Writing Gaijin said:
Quick question - I was foolish enough to forget to create a save path for the previous version of SCUMMVM, so my saves didnt transfer (seeing as it doesnt know where to look for them). Where is the default directory for the saves so I can copy and move them to the save folder, please?

If your using the PND it defaults to 'pandora/appdata/scummvm/saves' or you can just redirect it to suit your needs.
Your config file is also stored in the appdata/scummvm folder.

DJWillis said:
If your using the PND it defaults to 'pandora/appdata/scummvm/saves' or you can just redirect it to suit your needs.
Your config file is also stored in the appdata/scummvm folder.

That's the bizarre thing - 'pandora/appdata/scummvm/saves' is totally empty. I've got about 7 save games across 2 titles, but no idea where they're saving to as the Save folder generated from the PND is barren. Nothing in the game data folders where the games are stored too. Is it possible that they saved on the NAND at all?

You could try running "updatedb" as root and then use "locate <part_of_your_savegame_name>"

Or use "find":

Code:
 find / -iname "*<part_of_your_savegame_name>*"

Tried Indy4 and Sam-and-Max Talkie, worked great! The ScummVM adlib emulation always brings a smile to my ears :)

jeff

Lomaxx said:
You could try running "updatedb" as root and then use "locate <part_of_your_savegame_name>"

Or use "find":

Code:
 find / -iname "*<part_of_your_savegame_name>*"

Cheers, not having much luck finding it at the moment! Is there any way to browse the NAND a bit more manually?

EDIT: Terminal found the buggers with "find". They were hiding in a home/name/.scummvm folder - took a while as I couldnt even see that folder earlier on, let alone look into it.

All the same, they're transfered into a nice, easily discovered path now. Thanks for your help, guys, much appreciated. And massive thanks to DJWillis for such a great conversion, easily one of my fave pnds so far.

Now to find out why the sound volume is so low...

skeezix said:
Tried Indy4 and Sam-and-Max Talkie, worked great! The ScummVM adlib emulation always brings a smile to my ears :)

jeff

I went for a bit of broken sword 1 and it worked flawlessly. So thanks for the port.

CJ

Tried Broken Sword 1 and the game is flawless except for the following:
Cinematic are not scaled same as the game, they are much smaller.

DJWillis, can this be fixed with any of the options in Scummvm or is this a bug?

sehs33 said:
Tried Broken Sword 1 and the game is flawless except for the following:
Cinematic are not scaled same as the game, they are much smaller.

DJWillis, can this be fixed with any of the options in Scummvm or is this a bug?

Some of the cinematic scenes are not scaled to the full screen anyway (such as logos), that is by design and how the original game also worked.

That said, are you using DXA? MP2 (well actually they are not supported any more) or the original Smacker (off the CD) cut scenes?

The only other thing I can think off is that your using one of the 'low res' cut scene packs I did specifically for the GPH devices that have the cut scenes encoded to 320*2xx specifically for the low resolution devices (not the 640*4xx they are normally encoded at). Those 'low res' packs are not applicable to the OpenPandora.

If you could download a fresh set of the cut scenes from http://www.scummvm.org or your CD's and try them I would appreciate it. I'll also dig out BS1 and give it a try.

DJWillis said:
The only other thing I can think off is that your using one of the 'low res' cut scene packs I did specifically for the GPH devices that have the cut scenes encoded to 320*2xx specifically for the low resolution devices (not the 640*4xx they are normally encoded at). Those 'low res' packs are not applicable to the OpenPandora.

If you could download a fresh set of the cut scenes from http://www.scummvm.org or your CD's and try them I would appreciate it. I'll also dig out BS1 and give it a try.

DJWillis you are the man, that's in fact the case. These are the cut scenes that were built in the GP2X glorious days, I had them stached on a backup DVD. I will download the higher res. ones tonight and confirm back that all is perfect :)

Thanks plenty :)

Back