Release Keymat On Devboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JerryG20 said:
That isn't the same FDM case that the team had a long time ago...right?
Looks the same:

What does this mean for the screen? There can't be much value in shoehorning a screen into the upper half of the case if it isn't based on the recent 'final' design?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
Bosbeetle said:
I am curious about the keymat being to 'thick' because of brittle parts. How is this going to be solved?
Will the pandora end up with either keys you have to press really hard or with a very fragile mat. Or will there be a good inbetween?

The key openings in the case will be made larger to compensate. This is why we make prototypes before going into full production ;)

So widening the openings allows for an easier push. Could make sense because the rubber will bend outward a bit when pressed.

Thanks for the info and I hope the devs will find a nice solution

EvilDragon said:
Aaaalso, hier nochmals (hatte es zwar oben schon mal geschrieben, aber das wird wohl immer überlesen):

Die Tasten lassen sich schwer drücken, weil es sich um einen PROTOTYPEN handelt, NICHT, weil wir da einen Fehler haben.
Das ist produktionstechnisch so. Solche Tasten drücken sich ja mithilfe von sehr dünnen Wänden (bei uns genau 0,2mm). Sieht man gut, wenn man mal einen Taschenrechner aufschraubt
(den hab ich als Vorlage genommen). Mit dem fertig erstellten Werkzeug sind die Wände dann auch exakt so dünn - bei der Prototypherstellung läßt sich das aber nicht so genau einstellen, daher wären solche Wände eher dünner (und reißen) oder dicker.
Der Prototyp dieser Matte ist dafür geeignet, zu testen, ob alles ins Gehäuse passt, ob der Abstand zur Platine passt, etc.
Und das tut er.
Heißt: Jetzt kann das Werkzeug hergestellt werden - und das läßt sich dann auch drücken.

Thema Bedruckung: Wir sind am Überlegen, ob wir eine individuelle Bedruckung (Deutsch, Englisch, Türkisch, Spanisch) machen sollen - und da schaut es im Moment recht gut aus, da die Bedruckung NACH der Mattenherstellung stattfindet, also von den Kosten her durchaus möglich ist :)
free translation said:
The keys are hard to press, because it is a prototype and not because we made a mistake. This is caused by production necessities.
Those keys are able to be pressed because of their very thin walls(in this case exactly 0.2mm). You can see that, when you disassemble
a pocket calculator for example(which I took as reference).
When the tool(the part of the molding machine in which the hot fluid rubber is injected) is ready, the walls will be exactly that thin -
in a prototype-process it isn't possible to adjust it that exactly, so the walls would be thinner(and break) or thicker.
This prototype is adapted for testing if it fits into the case and if the distance to the PCB is right etc. And it does fit.
This means, now the tool can be made and the keys will be pressable.
Regarding the key-printings: We think about making individual printings(German, English, Turkish, Spanish) -
it looks good at the moment, because the printing is done after the fabrication of the mat, so it would be possible regarding kosts :)

Squidge said:
Asmo said:
Looks the same:

Not to me, the button on the first design can actually be used, where as they can't on the second :)
yeah your right, the image below just has shallow dips where the buttons are now.

just make sure the dpad doesn't get stuck (friction with case) when you press it all the way to the sides, it would make gaming horrible

please, pay attention to the controller comfort, it's simply crucial on this device. i'd hate to see people having to mod it in order to make it better to play (gp2x kind of trashy controls).

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
just make sure the dpad doesn't get stuck (friction with case) when you press it all the way to the sides, it would make gaming horrible
Even more important is the durability of the D-Pad holders. In a renderer there was only ONE notch that holds the D-Pad in place, if you slide over the pads in heavy 360° action, such a holder could easily break and you can turn the Pad in DJ manner. :D (Such thing happend with my old Gravis Gamepad for PC)
I recommend 4 holders for the Pandora D-Pad (Megadrive Gamepad had this solution for example)

"and you can turn the Pad in DJ manner"
lolz i've had a dpad that did that too :p
im pretty skeptic about the controller comfort... and now that you mention, durability. it would be sad to tear it apart to fix it myself =`\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back