First newspost coming FROM the Pyra!

Agreed, but it really depends on the production you are running and the kind of money you have to do so. Since the kind of money, if any, I can raise is way below B movie, you understand expensive equipment is not possible on every area. Within this perspective, that the knowledge people have, have to value above hardware, I see it perfectly possible if your format is not too heavy (ye like 8bit per color channel) and you are doing a short or mid movie with a very well done tech decupage.

but then again: time is money. so better bring your laptop to do the editing. you won't get far with 2gb ram, even if you only edit 8bit instead of 10bit recordings. I have to use a mac mini for video editing (because that is what our small off theatre production firm can afford) with 10gb ram and full hd real time editing is a chore on that thing. seriously, editing sequences longer than 10min is something you don't want to do with less then 8gb ram. of course it also depends on software and last time I checked, editing under linux requires a lot of work before you start your edit. you'll want to have everything converted to the format that your compositor can actually import. compositors like avid, edius pro and final cut pro will import almost anything you throw at them because they have powerful realtime editing capabilities like on the fly transcoding of media. cinelarra doesn't have those features and the pyra does not have the horsepower for on the fly transcoding and real time editing anyway.

Last edited:
Nope :) The preorder price still will be only downpayment.
The Pre-Preorderers only had a higher risk, as no prototype was available back then.

The remaining price needs to be paid once the unit is sitting at my shop waiting to be shipped :)
You probably already told us how this will happen, but we need to let you know what version we want. I will be getting a US 4G one. I know we have to wait to see how all of that works out, based on MOQ and total preorders of each version, I just don't want you to find out how many of each are requested too late.

Don't think the n900s had analog controls.

Oops, my quote got lost somehow oO
I actually wanted to reply to Swordfish II's comment on page 4 (I'd insert it here, but messing around with multiple quotes is just too annoying on my phone).

@ED, Will you do a couple emulator videos like you did with the Pandora? That would be really neat ! :)

@everyone&ED
1.Will it be possible to set up another hot swappable monitor on top of the first one for clunky Nintendo DS play? I don't know how the DS emulator is, but I know that I DO need the full size of the 2 monitors for some games, (IMHO).
2.Let's say I install foobar2000 and play some music. Can I close the pandora down and have it keep playing in my pocket so it goes to my bluetooth headphones but the idle state saves battery?
3. How Linux-savvy do I have to be? (current tech level : -1)

Thanks and take my money:p&|a:<3

but then again: time is money. so better bring your laptop to do the editing. you won't get far with 2gb ram, even if you only edit 8bit instead of 10bit recordings. I have to use a mac mini for video editing (because that is what our small off theatre production firm can afford) with 10gb ram and full hd real time editing is a chore on that thing. seriously, editing sequences longer than 10min is something you don't want to do with less then 8gb ram. of course it also depends on software and last time I checked, editing under linux requires a lot of work before you start your edit. you'll want to have everything converted to the format that your compositor can actually import. compositors like avid, edius pro and final cut pro will import almost anything you throw at them because they have powerful realtime editing capabilities like on the fly transcoding of media. cinelarra doesn't have those features and the pyra does not have the horsepower for on the fly transcoding and real time editing anyway.

Yep, always case based. Let me try a Pyra example:
Suppose I have a short movie in mind ~30min final piece.
Then I produce a very tight tech decupage and transform it into a storyreel (animatic or whatever).
Have actors rehearse for that and record come rehearsals that way.
This should be enough to prove the movie ok and get everyone in shape for a single shot per take.

Now on set, I could have an editing software on Pyra with the single layer edition of the storyreel.
Movie is shot at full hd compressed, something like an h264+acc at high quality.

After a complete scene, while the team is moving things around for the next one, you could use Pyra to dump the content of the cards to external hard drives for backup and another for the editing.
You could rename the takes to match the storyreel names and you get you pre edition.

In case Pyra suffers to deal the file, you could set the program to low render it or skip one frame.
The point here would be to make sure the output is fitting with the planned movie.

I agree as a realtime thing it may be more difficult, but you could also use it as a production tool, notes, pictures, etc.
As it gets released, I´m sure people will put it on the most different situations.

Heck, it may even work out as a video assist or something like that.

1.Will it be possible to set up another hot swappable monitor on top of the first one for clunky Nintendo DS play? I don't know how the DS emulator is, but I know that I DO need the full size of the 2 monitors for some games, (IMHO).
2.Let's say I install foobar2000 and play some music. Can I close the pandora down and have it keep playing in my pocket so it goes to my bluetooth headphones but the idle state saves battery?
1. The Pandora build already supports the TV out cable, and lets you put on screen on the TV and one on the Pandora's LCD (and they're hot swappable).
2. Probably not, but if you disable wifi, bt, 4G, and close the lid and it's only running Foobar2000, then it'll only be awake enough to service that app, and asleep the rest of the time, conserving battery power.
3. Not really at all. Provided you can use a computer, the internet and follow some straightforward instructions you should be fine. Hopefully, the Pyra will come with an equivalent of PNDManager, like the Pandora does today, and with that there you just need to start wifi (using the task bar), run PNDManager and choose the apps you want to install. If not you might need to make some special folders on an SD card and put files you download in there. That's about it.

@ED, Will you do a couple emulator videos like you did with the Pandora? That would be really neat ! :)

@everyone&ED

Thanks and take my money:p&|a:<3

Pandora or Pyra?

You mean the 1 Video per Day?
Well, those were made when quite a lot Pandoras had already been shipped to the public.
So these emulators were available.

Right now, we're working on the basic parts of the OS. First we need to get a few prototypes out to some developers, so that we hopefully get a working 3D driver soon and also some other stuff,
Later, when that stuff is working, more prototypes will be shipped to software developers - once that happens, I can do videos, yes.

Right now, I don't have any emulator to show off :)

@everyone&ED

That's something Exophase has to answer. The Pyra can do that (via HDMI), but I don't know what his plans regarding DraStic on the Pyra are. AFAIK he wants to port it though.

Well, a lot of power saving stuff will be missing at the beginning, so we don't know yet how much power that will save...
Unfortunately, TI never optimized the software side of the OMAP5 as much as it was the case with the OMAP3 and OMAP4, so there's a lot missing. It CAN be implemented, but it will be A LOT of work sadly.
So the Pyra will be far from being perfect when it's released - but hopefully, it'll improve a lot over the years (at least the GP32, GP2X and Pandora did!)

Not at all. Handling the Pyra will be similar to handling the Pandora, and that's something everyone understood.

Ooh, that would probably be the perfect way to play ds emulation: pyra as the bottom screen, monitor/tv as the top.

Edit: lol @Wally I can see thats been said several times now. I am just really hype for the pyra atm.

Last edited:
That's something Exophase has to answer. The Pyra can do that (via HDMI), but I don't know what his plans regarding DraStic on the Pyra are. AFAIK he wants to port it though.

Can we expect a complete list of emulation capabilities? I'm not asking about time, just if it will happen;)

It CAN be implemented, but it will be A LOT of work sadly.

Currently, that stuff is present in about every android smartphone. Since android is linux-based, maybe it would help looking there :)
Or is it hardware\software limited?

Actually and unrelatedly, one of the reasons I'm buying the Pyra is also for music, since the android has that damn volume limiting code that keeps making stuff quieter with every build, yet I'd rather play Superman 64 for 2 hours than buy an Iphone...

Back