Fake Open Pandora

^ That's a different type of scam! The overpayment scam is when they're offering to buy products from you.

It looks like what we have here, to use the technical term, might be what's called a "phonelad", so named for the product category that they most commonly use to hook victims with, though they do cover all sorts of consumer electronics.

Phonelads typically offer electronic goods that they do not have, the most common being mobile telephones, and laptop computers. VERY rarely (as has been posted earlier in this thread), they may send a cheap item in some sort of attempt at appearing vaguely legitimate. They always go with wire-transfer services, as these are inherently insecure and are generally able to be picked up from anywhere in the world, even if they're supposed to be restricted to a particular region or location.

Phonelads are the only type of scammer that scambaiters recommend shutting down via reporting them to the providers of their e-mail address, and whatever other services they're using to hook people with. This is not done with other types of scammers, as letting the other types (such as Advance Fee Fraud scammers and romance scammers) keep their e-mail addresses leaves a Google'able trail of breadcrumbs for suspicious victims or would-be victims to follow, so that they can get help and support. It's done with phonelads because it's their primary means of dealing with their victims, and when it's cut off, it will raise suspicion.

EDIT: I should also note that messing with scammers, in P-p-p-p-p-Powerbook fashion is not the best of ideas. Scammers can be (and often are) very dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ That's a different type of scam! The overpayment scam is when they're offering to buy products from you.

It looks like what we have here, to use the technical term, might be what's called a "phonelad", so named for the product category that they most commonly use to hook victims with, though they do cover all sorts of consumer electronics.

Phonelads typically offer electronic goods that they do not have, the most common being mobile telephones, and laptop computers. VERY rarely (as has been posted earlier in this thread), they may send a cheap item in some sort of attempt at appearing vaguely legitimate. They always go with wire-transfer services, as these are inherently insecure and are generally able to be picked up from anywhere in the world, even if they're supposed to be restricted to a particular region or location.

Phonelads are the only type of scammer that scambaiters recommend shutting down via reporting them to the providers of their e-mail address, and whatever other services they're using to hook people with. This is not done with other types of scammers, as letting the other types (such as Advance Fee Fraud scammers and romance scammers) keep their e-mail addresses leaves a Google'able trail of breadcrumbs for suspicious victims or would-be victims to follow, so that they can get help and support. It's done with phonelads because it's their primary means of dealing with their victims, and when it's cut off, it will raise suspicion.

EDIT: I should also note that messing with scammers, in P-p-p-p-p-Powerbook fashion is not the best of ideas. Scammers can be (and often are) very dangerous.

It was more a suggestion of a way to get some free units and some financial compensation for OPT :p

Also for some hilarious reading up on scams and how scambaiters deal with them check out http://www.419eater.com especially the trophy room.

^ At best (read: Ridiculously unlikely :p ), you might get a picture of one of these, with a sticker depicting a keyboard added to it. :p

I wonder if we might be able to get this clown to order a unit from us to take photos of it in order to sell 10 to a 'buyer' who won't order without that photo...

I think we should ask them for some photos of a unit or two ;)

They'll probably send you my pictures :D

But I'll ask ;)

EDIT: Funny, now I got another reply from a different company (Dandong Huashang Economic and Trade Co., Ltd).

"Dear Mr Michael Hello, for Open Pandora 4.3 inch 3D laptop like linux handled , we can supply it. I want to know how many sets do you want? then we will see whether this price can work here. and usually if customer want a big quantity, we can afford this price . And also we support sample test. Best WishesSophia"

I need 2000, would that be fine? :p

I asked for pictures (without a newspaper, I don't want them to think I don't trust them ;) )

Next reply I'll ask them how they can provide me such a low price, as all prices on the Internet I could find were much higher. :D

Perhaps I'll ask them if they can make a custom one for me , ie one with a quad core processor in it ;)

My bet is they will say sure no problem. :)

In all seriousness , it does sound like BS to me, as someone else posted, they will probably send you something completely different instead. Or at best send you a cloned Pandora Case with some crap HW inside .

Have you guys chatted to the Chinese case manufacturer about who they may have given one to?

I think we should ask them for some photos of a unit or two ;)

They'll probably send you my pictures :D

But I'll ask ;)

EDIT: Funny, now I got another reply from a different company (Dandong Huashang Economic and Trade Co., Ltd).

"Dear Mr Michael Hello, for Open Pandora 4.3 inch 3D laptop like linux handled , we can supply it. I want to know how many sets do you want? then we will see whether this price can work here. and usually if customer want a big quantity, we can afford this price . And also we support sample test. Best WishesSophia"

I need 2000, would that be fine? :p

only 2000?

you heard the us air force was gonna buy iPad 2s to replace the 70 lbs of paper in flight bags the pilots carry? ... except they cancelled the solicitation order or whatever it was....

"Hi, I have contracts to supply various items to government agencies with relative frequency. This item at resonable price might fit a demand I have in large quantities approximately 100,000 units."

Ehehe, HiSupplier seems to be a platform for different chinese companies :)

I only sent the inquire to that one original company, but got offers from various companies now :)

Not only offering Pandoras, but also offering to handle customs and produce Laptop batteries. Seems like a Scam'n'Spam-Platform to me :D

So if anyone wants to send money to some scam company, here you go, besides the one we already know, these will also sell you OpenPandoras:

ongkong laiyun commercial co.,ltd

Dandong Huashang Economic and Trade Co., Ltd

The first company sent me a few pictures, as I asked for them.

They sent me this picture:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51896-my-pandora-arrived-quick-picture/

And they also attached another one where a Pandora incl. accessories is sitting on an old couch.

Not sure where they found that (didn't find it on google doing a quick search), but I recognized Craigs white shipping box on that pic as well :)

This is fun :)

We all know it's scam, but it's amazing how they even send me some random pictures and try to grab my cash with that.

The sad difference to me between scam chinese and proper chinese companies seems to me:

Proper chinese companies usually need a long time to send you replies to your mails, while the scams reply instantly :)

Last edited:
@ED: Did you sign the mail with your full name? Funny to see how the did not even recognise you as one of the Pandoras initiators.

@ED: Did you sign the mail with your full name? Funny to see how the did not even recognise you as one of the Pandoras initiators.

Full name, yes, but different company (used my TV Production company for the mails :) )

It might be worth putting a warning on the webpage that there is such a scam.

Or even better, write them an email, where you reveal your identity and ask them to close their website.

I think the reaction will be priceless ;)

Back