Pandora Battery Upgrade

Squidge said:
It didn't tell you the draw on the battery directly, but it did tell you the estimated battery life remaining which increased and decreased depending on what you were doing, so you could say it did it indirectly.

A bit like every laptop I've ever used?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Craig is trying to say that this will be much more precise and accurate than the standard time estimates.

if you departed from san francisco on a direct flight to london at 12 midnight, the flight is around 13 hours, close to the new estimated battery life of the pandora. when you arrive at london, it's 10pm. so, huzzah! the pandora has negative two hours of battery life. or 22 hours of battery life.

borgqueenx said:
cool that sounds awesome! So we can see all chips and programs that are eating the battery life and shut them down if we want? :D
Turn off your Pandora for UNLIMITED battery life :p

Nation.A.List said:
borgqueenx said:
cool that sounds awesome! So we can see all chips and programs that are eating the battery life and shut them down if we want? :D
Turn off your Pandora for UNLIMITED battery life :p
I think you'll find that the battery life will decrease regardless of whether the Pandora is off, and even if the battery is removed from the console ;)

Squidge said:
I think you'll find that the battery life will decrease regardless of whether the Pandora is off, and even if the battery is removed from the console ;)
Which brings me to my question.
Does the rating take into account the safety cutoff of the battery? You know, have enough headroom to avoid irreversibly killing it with excessive discharge.
Maybe that's what the extra for, to give the battery a couple of months before it really starts dying.

I never knew how that safety was taken into account with these ratings.

Modern batteries usually have a lot of safety stuff built in, I'd expect the Pandora to hit "0% charge" and shut down long before the battery actually discharges enough to harm anything. So, 0% in the OS might be around 5% or 10% of the actual battery.

lulzfish said:
Modern batteries usually have a lot of safety stuff built in, I'd expect the Pandora to hit "0% charge" and shut down long before the battery actually discharges enough to harm anything. So, 0% in the OS might be around 5% or 10% of the actual battery.
Or it could go to standby at these 2~5%.And tell you to charge the device, and that you have for example 24 hours on standby left.

Blue Ion said:
Which brings me to my question.
Does the rating take into account the safety cutoff of the battery? You know, have enough headroom to avoid irreversibly killing it with excessive discharge.
Maybe that's what the extra for, to give the battery a couple of months before it really starts dying.

I think I've posted this before, but TI have a good video about this:

http://www.ti.com/ww/en/analog/bq275xx/index.htm?DCMP=hpa_pmp_batterycharger&HQS=Other+PR+bq275xx-pr

I don't know why they have made the video so small, it used to be bigger, but it explains the leap you are getting with this technology.

Well, thats certainly one way of protecting against battery cell death - use a single cell solution :)

So it's just like what notebooks have.

You don't see many applications actually using that stuff even though I suspect Windows and Linux have APIs for it.
It would be like:

Fuel Gauge: "Hey we're running low on battery, make sure data is safe"
Application 1: "Okay, write this to disk"
Application 2: "Hey, write this to disk too"
Application 3: "Well then I'd better write THIS to disk"

Fuel Gauge: "Oh wow the power usage just spiked, there's a lot of disk activity."

craigix said:
The fuel gauge is a seriously awesome hardware feature which I think people are going to love. It tells you the exact drain and time remaining to seconds. No more 'four bars of guess work'. Plug in a USB device and see exactly what its pulling, crank up the CPU speed and see exactly how it effects battery life.

It should lead to people getting better battery life in the same way cars with real time MPG calculations lead to you finding the perfect cruising speed.

To quote from TI's video:

Product Marketing Manager for Battery Management Products at Texas Instruments said:
It's the same technology used in notepook PCs

http://www.ti.com/ww...r+PR+bq275xx-pr

Back