Votes: 22 27.5%
  • wut?

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • wot?

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • wat?

Votes: 13 16.3%

• Total voters

Although, the change of reason from "piracy" to "imports" is concerning...
I don't think they've changed their reason, though - like I said, that wording's been in their help section for years. It's here, specifically. The relevant part - which demonstrates the way that they appear to connect the two - is below;

Here are some examples of potentially infringing imports:

<snip>

</snip>

A video game player or software that is the Japanese version of the player or game and not intended for use in the UK or Ireland. (Note that the offering of "mod chips," "emulators" or other devices intended to enable the use of unauthorised imports also may violate copyright laws)

I've got little doubt that the listing being pulled was due to their automated setup, of course. I just figure that it's worth pointing this out, since their connecting of imports with other topics is weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they've changed their reason, though - like I said, that wording's been in their help section for years. It's here, specifically. The relevant part - which demonstrates the way that they appear to connect the two - is below;

I've got little doubt that the listing being pulled was due to their automated setup, of course. I just figure that it's worth pointing this out, since their connecting of imports with other topics is weird.
Am I reading that wrong, or is that saying you're not allowed to sell any Japanese consoles or games on eBay at all?

Seems shady, if it's even legal in the UK (I'm guessing here, but I know they have more laws about this stuff than they do over here).

I'm no legal expert, but I'm guessing from the context of what I quoted (since the specific rules in the link relate to importations) that a lot of it is CYA relating to copyright and/or trademark infringement. (See, for example, what happened with Sony and Lik-Sang. Sony got a ruling that the selling of imported PSPs and such to Europe was trademark infringement.)

I'm getting off-topic with this, though, so please pardon me.

I'm no legal expert, but I'm guessing from the context of what I quoted (since the specific rules in the link relate to importations) that a lot of it is CYA relating to copyright and/or trademark infringement. (See, for example, what happened with Sony and Lik-Sang. Sony got a ruling that the selling of imported PSPs and such to Europe was trademark infringement.)

I'm getting off-topic with this, though, so please pardon me.
Plenty of off-topic discussion here; I don't get the sense that it's really frowned upon all that much, and this is interesting. :p

What I heard is that Lik-Sang wasn't actually infringing, but that that was just the pretext Sony used to get them shut down, even though they weren't actually doing anything illegal. FWIW, as I understand it you're perfectly okay using a trademark for a product you're selling (provided you're actually selling that product: no calling your console a Lik-PSP if it's not made by Sony, obviously. But Lik-Sang wasn't doing that).

^ That's my understanding of it also. What I meant was, given that, I can see why eBay might want to cover their backsides in relation to such matters. :p

^ That's my understanding of it also. What I meant was, given that, I can see why eBay might want to cover their backsides in relation to such matters. :p
You're probably right, but I wish they would man up (if I can use such a phrase in a non-gendered way - I don't have a pithy substitute, but I won't use it if you find it offensive).

^ I don't see why anyone would find it offensive. :p
Well, it contains the implicit assumption that women lack the capability to stand by what they believe in. I just wanted to make it clear that I don't believe that. ;)

Well, it contains the implicit assumption that women lack the capability to stand by what they believe in. I just wanted to make it clear that I don't believe that. ;)
Women can man up too. There are strapons! *snicker*

Ebay have now reviewed and accepted the Pandora isn't illegal.

Although going by their own rules it sort of still is, that import one is odd.

Ebay have now reviewed and accepted the Pandora isn't illegal.

Although going by their own rules it sort of still is, that import one is odd.

maybe they realised if they permabanned teh pandora, they would have to ban anythign that could play imports, which is practically any games related machine. but there's no such thing as a pandora 'import' and it doesn't ship with emulators, so really it can't play any imports as is

We're trying to explain to them now that it's just a mini-computer.

They probably just looked at the wrong things online and got the wrong idea.

They also said even if it isn't a copy device it's banned because it can play 'imports'.

We're working on the situation...
Tell them that it can't play 'imports' more than e.g. the Nokia N900 mobile phone, which is essentially exactly the same hardware, minus the nubs (and before anyone says D-Pad.. you can do that on the kbd of the N900, particularly with a game-gripper. And anyway the N800 has a D-Pad).

Thanks Craig, It's good you where able to get them to fix it so fast. I'm a power seller to, and I have never opted to use any of those phone numbers given, as most of my problems are with Paypal and some of their policies. And I know that you know there is NO arguing anything with them, so I never bother. Maybe I'll try and let my voice be heard in the future, you have inspired me! :lol:

Ebay has many rules and policies in place, but they have no real way to inforce most of them. There are so many crooks, and pirated software availible, and I can pull any of it up at anytime, and bid. Now if I can find that kind of stuff, and know that it is part of a criminal/illeagal lister, Ebay should to. If they have any human beings fighting this fight, there must be just one guy, or they are very poor at their jobs. Either way, most of what they do only ever hurts legit sellers and makes it very hard for the wrong people.

Chris

Damn. And I had fabricated a whole conspiracy theory involving Nintendo, and their evil scheme to destroy piracy. I was going to lead a revolution against them. A Nintendo Revolution.

Oh the irony, looking at the ebay link to your sale, at least one of the similar products does certainly appear to be a 'piracy device'.

Fake PSP

Edit : Had a proper look and it appears not to be a piracy device as this 'Game Console for PSP Games' does not play PSP games. errr WTF?

Back