Drudge Report....

borgqueenx said:
The app store should not be open source though, it would make the games easier to crack and that will bounce of developers and conpanys.
You are aware that it's entirely possible to make something both opensource and secure, right?

In fact, unless you're a real expert at security stuff, opensource is probably the preferred way to go. Security is one of those things where a single mistake can make all the work you've done (on security) worthless. Best to have that open so that it's found by friends with the sourcecode and not enemies with a debugger and a hex-editor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alec  said:
Will this App Store only distribute paid-for software or will it host free applications too? Will it be possible to make a donation to the author through the system?

Both, but in the appstore they are all the same, the uploader just specifies the price, if it is put as 0 then it's a free download.

Example, Zodttd uploads MAME and puts the price at 0. This means anyone can download it but it also places him in the 'donations' area which means he can receive general donations and also 'spare change' from those left over pennies.

Each application has its own html page which can be updated and altered by the uploader. It also keeps stats of downloads and updates.

Another example is Exophase uploads his GBA emu - he can specify it costs $3 for the LATEST version with the older versions being free, thus if you want to always have the latest update you need to pay the $3 initially. But if you don't mind being one version behind it's free.

The site currently has a top ten most popular (all time) (today) and (latest apps) as well as a top ten donators (with user names).

The whole thing is just minimal html meaning there is no Pandora side app. You could browse to it on anything.

They only thing I don't like about this is:
People who did not plan on charging for their app will, due to this simple way of doing it. And after paying so much for the bloody Pandora in the first place.. But hopefuly that won't matter, and every thing will be hunky dory.

(naw)mcx said:
People who did not plan on charging for their app will, due to this simple way of doing it. And after paying so much for the bloody Pandora in the first place.. But hopefuly that won't matter, and every thing will be hunky dory.
I have more faith than that. I expect those that weren't planning to charge anything still won't, or at worst will charge a small pitance: $1 or less, if possible.
I'd love to put some stuff on there with a "pay what you want" model: no set price, just whatever number a person wants to put in (be it $10, $1, 0.01, or even 0) and you've got it.

I must say this sounds like a great way to handle a appstore :)
Just a regular webpage, no fancy bloated client. And the donation idea sounds smart.
And remember, a chance to get paid for their work means more developers get attracted.
Looking forward hearing more about this.

edit:

WizardStan said:
I'd love to put some stuff on there with a "pay what you want" model: no set price, just whatever number a person wants to put in (be it $10, $1, 0.01, or even 0) and you've got it.
This should definitely be included as an option.

What about:

Muppen64 plus, Quake 3, Quake 2, supernintendo emo, megadrive emu, zeq2lite, gba gb gbc emu, are they for free?

Or is the appstore for comerzial games like caster etc?

Im very confused

I'd like to see maybe a lifetime, or major version payment. Where if you pay a higher sum then you'll get all future updates in the major version or for the lifetime of the application. I don't like the idea of continuously buying the same software.

matzesu said:
What about:

Muppen64 plus, Quake 3, Quake 2, supernintendo emo, megadrive emu, zeq2lite, gba gb gbc emu, are they for free?

Im very confused

That's up for the developers to decide.

Tobs said:
--snip--
Of course, the watermarking system will be cracked (because rarely is it not) but it'll probably do its job of deterring average joe swapping his PND with his friends.
--snip--

Is this so bad? Not too long ago, people used to be able to lend, borrow, and trade games with their friends. That's my biggest problem with digital distribution and DRM, so I'm glad there isn't any official DRM scheme here. Devs should be free to distribute an application in any way they see fit, but it isn't OpenPandora's responsibility to limit the freedoms of its customers.

Also +1 for a "Pay What You Want" option.

So, if the developer says, i want 3€ for the game, i must paid 3€ ,

Are they free stuff, if the store are begin? all whe had heared in the last 1 Yeahr, i have think it is free ..

matzesu said:
So, if the developer says, i want 3€ for the game, i must paid 3€ ,

Are they free stuff, if the store are begin? all whe had heared in the last 1 Yeahr, i have think it is free ..

Well, many devs will let you download their stuff for free, which is good.

But some devs will want a bit of money for their troubles and you'll have to pay to download theirs.

Just like every thing, you can pay to get NOD32 virus scanning, or get Avast! for free.

Lunatic said:
Is this so bad? Not too long ago, people used to be able to lend, borrow, and trade games with their friends. That's my biggest problem with digital distribution and DRM, so I'm glad there isn't any official DRM scheme here. Devs should be free to distribute an application in any way they see fit, but it isn't OpenPandora's responsibility to limit the freedoms of its customers.
Like lending a book or movie. I agree with you. This is yet another reason I dislike DRM.
Watermarking wouldn't prevent that, though. Sharing with a friend or two probably isn't a problem. When you upload it to the web for anyone to download is when it becomes a problem. The watermark wouldn't limit anything, it'd be like... a CD key, I guess. Except built right into the package so you don't have to worry about accidentally losing it. It sounds like a really good solution (of sorts).

craigix said:
The whole thing is just minimal html meaning there is no Pandora side app. You could browse to it on anything.
Do you also offer an "API"? It'd be nice if you could, via XML and/or JSON, allow one to access the app store programmatically; this would allow people to develop sleek app store apps for the Pandora.
Also, a function where one submits their ID and gets back a list of updated apps would be extremely nice as it'd enable auto-updates without the apps having to support it.

Also, please do like Apple does and give us separate "Top X" lists for free and commercial software. Even better: Allow some kind of filtering so I could, for example, easily find the best navigation app for under 20 USD. This kind of filtering is only neccessary once the store has a certain size, though. I'd hardly call it a launch-critical feature. Separate commercial and free lists are still something I'd lie regardless.

(naw)mcx said:

I for one don't mind paying a little for a game. I buy games all the time on iPhone because they are priced reasonably- not like $30-$50 PSP games (in fact most of them are like $1).
Paying for something is a source of motivation for better software. For instance- on the iphone there is now a Jailbroken appstore and I'm finding that there are a bunch of new jailbroken apps for pay there that are *really* worth the money and kill the old jailbroken apps in terms of value and functionality.

Back to the original topic, I'll be glad if EvilDragon, craigix or MWeston make some comment on this info posted by mali in another thread:

mali said:
ED will post a blog update if it goes as promised by the Chinese mould company.
Some peeks what's happening:

The cases will be send to MWeston today or tomorrow.
The cases should have the final matte finish.
The moulds are finished.

http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8381&p=103673#p103673
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8381&p=103689#p103689
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8381&p=103724#p103724

Take it with a grain of salt and please don't speculate in this thread. I just wanted to let you know what's happening on the German board ;)

matzesu said:
What about:

Im very confused

If it's under the GPL (Mupen64 and Quake are), then the only thing anyone can charge you is for the build, which makes no sense since if anyone has the source, they can build it themselves and even put it up. If it's under a less restrictive license such as BSD, or if the copyright belongs to that one person, then he can do anything he'd like, like release closed-source ports or paid versions.

So except for developers who turn greedy, there isn't much to worry about.

Back