Drudge Report....

Kramy said:
All first-batch preorderers should get $2 of credit at the store, which they can donate to whichever apps they feel like.

If necessary the money can come from the dev fund, since it'll go right back to developers - but to the devs chosen by pandora owners.

In the end it'd pay off, because it'll get people used to how it works.
I actually really like this idea. It doesn't even have to be $2, but being able to funnel the dev fund into devs the community actually supports and picks for themselves just seems, well, open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consequence9 said:
why? most of us lost a fair bit more than $5 when we had to re-order, sounds like a good idea to me.
Erm.. how about the fact that the devs can't just get all that money together at the drop of a hat? Craig's already said that it's being put to good use.
Nice idea but I don't rate your chances this late in the game.

Spectralist said:
Is there anything to prevent people from trying to sell other people's programs?
Only the law.

WizardStan said:
Spectralist said:
Is there anything to prevent people from trying to sell other people's programs?
Only the law.
Thats what ive been wondering. Theres got to be a way to fix that.

Tom` said:
If I can see one problem with this it's that many homebrew developers (at least in my admittedly limited experience) are already not all that likely to respect the GPL, and craig has an incentive to support this behavior, since illegal proprietary forks being sold = more commissions from his app store). It's been my experience that users mostly don't care much about this either. It doesn't help if software is under the GPL if the developers won't release source for ports (well, it doesn't matter for a lot of systems, but certainly some will need a lot of work - for example, what would we do if Ari64 one day decided, well, everyone wants this emulator enough to pay $10 for it, why should I let anyone have the source?)

Exactly. I mean I'm sure the spirit of homebrew software and altruistic developers will come through but I do think there's also legal implications that need to be considered. Developing something privately and giving it away is one thing but when you start charging money for things it becomes more legally complicated.

I think donation ware should be encouraged for things such as emulators, perhaps even defaulting to a minimum payment that someone can change down if they want to. Commercial games should naturally be able to be charged for and that's really where I see the store coming into its own.

Will it be OpenPandora picking up the hosting and bandwidth fees?

There will probably be a slight maintenance fee taken out of every sale. Maybe around 10%?

Edit: Craig said on another topic it would be about 25%. Which I think is fair, it's less than apple, and a hell of a lot less than royalties for other consoles, I imagine.

Aethix said:
There will probably be a slight maintenance fee taken out of every sale. Maybe around 10%?

Edit: Craig said on another topic it would be about 25%. Which I think is fair, it's less than apple, and a hell of a lot less than royalties for other consoles, I imagine.

I remember my friend saying something about $5000 for an xbox 360 arcade game. Insane. I agree that 25% isn't terrible.

Don't know if someone said it already but in the current status has changed to: "Mould creation for the case | Done | Sample case should arrive on Dec. 8th." Something to look forward to again? :p

Back